General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering

to the point.....

when driving the Heritage, handlebar alignment to the tank fovors one side, try to even the bars out and the bike of course turns.
Anybody els?, can it be corrected or is it just an alignment issue from the factory?
After puttin on the apes its more noticeable

Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Default RE: steering

anybody?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Nature of the beast I'm afraid, they all seem to be off just a little. You could try to loosen the risers and adjust but they'll eventually end up crooked again. Some had had good luck with a poly riser bushing I think, someone will sound off for you.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

well it seems its the whole steering head and not just the bars, thebars are consisttant with the forks and everything but when i ride it seems the whole unti is off from the rest of the bike in order to keep it straight

Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: vulhalla
well it seems its the whole steering head and not just the bars, thebars are consisttant with the forks and everything but when i ride it seems the whole unti is off from the rest of the bike in order to keep it straight
Triple tree's a little torqued. put yer bike nose in at 45 degrees to a curb and gently, slowly nudge the handle bars straight...pull out and go down the street looking for change in alignment. You might need to losen couple of pinch bolts at the fork tubes to accomplish...thenmake sure to torque them when done.
I think one thing that leads to this misalignment is pullin yer bike up straight from rest using too much leverage on the bars.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:08 AM
vulhalla
Road Master

would it be an issue of losening the risers the adjusting? Where are these pinch bolts?

Old 07-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Psycho
Road Master

You're working on the wrong end of the bike. The rear is likely out of alignment, causing the bike to dogtrack.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:29 AM
vulhalla
Road Master

duley noted, i understand but at closer inspection the handlebars themselves are off so how do you make the riseres even from side to side, just loosen them from the bottom and slide them a little?????
theres about 1/4" difference

Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 AM
vulhalla
Road Master

Are they adjustable?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Psycho
Road Master

Not sure which part you're trying to slide, but here goes.

If you're sliding the handlebars, just loosen the four allen screws on the dog bone, and put the handle bars where you want them. If you're referring to the risers themselves being out of place, then the answer is yes, there is some play when you loosen them up. Trouble is, you can put them wherever you want, and they'll just vibe out of place again. In my experience, a good set of poly bushings has fixed this. I had a tall setback riser on my superglide, and it had a mind of it's own. The problem was solved when I installed hard poly bushings in the riser mounts, and tossed the rubber.

Quick Reply: steering