General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 02:41 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
know that online retailers have a wider customer base, but why cant/didn't Harley Davidson set something up like a central parts depot, with two day shipping, or something like that? It would go a long way to lengthen brand longevity IMHO

I have owned Honda's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki's, and Husqvarna's. But when I bought a Harley, I thought I would never have to change brands again. Never say Never....
Does your local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Husqvarna dealer stock parts for 25+ year old vehicles?

Did you try this place?

https://www.vpartsinc.com/

Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 PM
ss27gogeta
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

My dealer here in Richmond indiana will work on any harley davidson going back to 1910. for a smaller dealer they seem to be doing quiet well. especially in the service department.

The following users liked this post:
URGE (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Does your local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Husqvarna dealer stock parts for 25+ year old vehicles?

Did you try this place?

https://www.vpartsinc.com/
I didn't know about vintage parts inc, but I went there and looked for brake parts, to no avail. Thanks for the tip. I will keep them in mind. I don't know if other brands keep an older parts inventory, but I have never owned a motorcycle this long before. I did take a 1974 Husqvarna in for service in the mid 80's though. (Thanks BBK Motorsports) It seems to me that there is quite a large aftermarket for Harley. Everything from engines, transmissions, to frames, to brake pads. Why doesn't the Moco Factory want a piece of it? Places like V-Twin, Bikers choice, and Drag Specialties to name but a few.
Parts Giant is sponsoring this forum(Upper right screen), and if you shop on the quick link to their website the Forum gets a kick back. They have all kinds of brand Parts and their delivery is close to Amazon speed wise. They are also on E-bay and carry a lot of vintage parts. (Yes, I consider my Evo vintage now) If I buy in the AM, the order is shipped out that afternoon. Harley Davidson, are you listening?

https://www.partsgiant.com/

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-07-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Parts Giant (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Ya know, some folks say that H-D is a maker of premium motorcycles. If so, maybe they should act like it and provide serious support for old machines. Like these guys:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/cla...e-parts/parts/

SirHarley (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:28 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Cool

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
Ya know, some folks say that H-D is a maker of premium motorcycles. If so, maybe they should act like it and provide serious support for old machines. Like these guys:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/cla...e-parts/parts/
Yes, I have heard, and seen on Jay Leno's Garage that you can purchase OEM parts for almost any old Mercedes. A factory part for a 1965 220 SE series coupe? Outrageous!

Old 09-07-2019, 04:33 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Kiwi makes new parts for vintage Indians here in the US. . Is there anyone out there doing that for H-D? Seems like it could be pretty lucrative business to me.

Last edited by IronAss; 09-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:45 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
The two in my area that I'm aware of are High Octane HD and Boston HD. I typically go to High Octane over in Billerica if I need parts or fluid. Never been to Boston HD over in Revere.
I remember when it was Harley Davidson Freedom Center, they sold bikes in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. I bought my first bike there. Then there's Sheldon's over in "Whooostaa", I got my second bike there.

I haven't been in that area since 88

Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Mine seem to be as busy as ever.
I've got Biggs and Temecula HD near by and they're both busy.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:15 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Default Good Idea...:-)

Originally Posted by IronAss
Kiwi makes new parts for vintage Indians here in the US. . Is there anyone out there doing that for H-D? Seems like it could be pretty lucrative business to me.
Places like V-Twin, Bikers choice, and Drag Specialties to name but a few. There is a market there. If Harley Davidson would at least only give an authorization to license a line of parts in their name, there would be a stiff competition against the current aftermarket. There needs to be a central location here in the states that can do Amazon like delivery for Harley parts, and vintage Harley parts. it would take some investment capital to accomplish this. Places like J&P cycles, and Dennis Kirk make a good living selling aftermarket parts for motorcycles. But the manufacturing would need to be OEM Quality at least. Places like James gaskets that make better than OEM parts would need to be carried too. I'm sure S&S Cycle wouldn't mind another distributor. Ultima cycle parts as well. All the cheap chrome goody swap meet quality parts manufacturers need not apply. In my Opinion Harley is big enough to do this, but the will just isn't there.

Come to think of it, I used to deal with Jireh Cycles a lot. They are not what they used to be though. They were great at customer service. But now, they rarely stock older MC parts like they used to.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:29 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Default Another Harley Dealership in Southern, Wisconsin is Closing

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/...3aa6c50c0.html

The House of Harley-Davidson dealership Racine, Wi is Closing its doors, and being consolidated with a Milwaukee location. That's four Southern Wisconsin Dealers closed this year so far. There are more Indian dealers in Southern Wisconsin area than Harley Dealers right now. they'll tell you they are consolidating, but the fact is another dealership and service shop is closing.

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-16-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Addendum

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?