General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Over the last year 1 did in Brighton Mi , close to Detroit. Only one I know of in Mi.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Ya.... You're off. If I was bitter, I'd just sell my bike and be done with them all together. It's just called an opinion... We all have them.. :-) Of course you can buy a T-Shirt for $25, you can also buy them for $50 like I said. This is the dealership 8 miles up the road from me..

Plain Jane black T with the words Harley Davidson on it... $50... A Hoodie.. $95.00... I'm not dreaming this $hit up...
$25.00 for a skull cap. lol!

Old 10-18-2020, 11:34 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,295 Likes on 6,039 Posts

GP...the one on Bay City appears to have closed as well. We have had to use the dealer network twice in the past on our trips. First was when I lost front wheel bearing on my Street Glide....just a couple miles away from Shanendoah HD. The second was when my buddy battery took a crap in Nashville. Sorry to see these dealers close, but I think it may be more of a corporate dealing rather than the local economy. I mean the economy has a lot to do with it, but I'm becoming more convinced that moco is closing out those they think they no longer need or want. I have seen some other posts that make some sense to things..... like the antiquated design of our bikes, their unwillingness to allow other companies the access to features to upgrade/maintain/help their systems. The fact we need to spend thousands of $$$ to get our bikes running the way they should. They simply are not keeping up with the times. They seem to be elitest mind set that they can keep pumping out antiquated designs and features and the world will come crawling to them. I have serious reservations about buying another new bike in the future. But this is my line of thinking, I'm sure there are those of you who will disagree....

Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
well, sadly, that's in line with every other major branded skully these days, but the other prices there, are absolutely appalling! $95 for a hoodie wtf

Old 10-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 3,069 Posts

This summer/ fall nothing closed around me but Friday I ran into a price increase that must be from corp.

I am changing front tires on both my and my wife's scoot. I realized I didn't have bearings for mine so was going to grab a set. Before a trip in Sept I changed my wife's for 48 bucks for the set. My local dealer said 37 per, which didn't surprise me since they never have anything in stocks and prices are high. I called a dealer about 50 mIes out, old school joint I get parts from and they quoted the same price. MOCO must need revenue to bump prices on junk bearings that much......

Old 10-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by Indawynd
This summer/ fall nothing closed around me but Friday I ran into a price increase that must be from corp.

I am changing front tires on both my and my wife's scoot. I realized I didn't have bearings for mine so was going to grab a set. Before a trip in Sept I changed my wife's for 48 bucks for the set. My local dealer said 37 per, which didn't surprise me since they never have anything in stocks and prices are high. I called a dealer about 50 mIes out, old school joint I get parts from and they quoted the same price. MOCO must need revenue to bump prices on junk bearings that much......
I just bought 2 sets from Surdyke, $40/set. $24 for ABS, $16 for non.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 3,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I just bought 2 sets from Surdyke, $40/set. $24 for ABS, $16 for non.
Interesting both dealers around here are the same high price.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:55 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by scott_0
well, sadly, that's in line with every other major branded skully these days, but the other prices there, are absolutely appalling! $95 for a hoodie wtf

I know retail has a huge markup, but the MOCO merchandise has always been way over priced. In what Universe is a knit skull cap with a logo worth $25.00??? Especially if they are made in China. You can go on eBay and get most anything for under $5.00 with free international shipping. But the truth at the end of the day is that they could probably raise the price to $40.00 and they would still sell. HD merchandise has always been at the low end of value per dollar spent anyways.

Last edited by SirHarley; 10-20-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:03 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,123 Posts

but the MOCO merchandise has always been way over priced. In what Universe is a knit skull cap with a logo worth $25.00???
When I'm looking for a deal on a knit skull cap, I pick one up at my local professional football team stadium.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought my first Harley, after 26 motorcycles, in January 2017. Part of the reason was having the dealer network and MY dealer close to me. Last week the local Harley dealer was operating their forklift taking down all the Harley signs in his multi brand dealership. Part of the problem I suspect. For 30 years I was 2+ hours to all the brands I owned. 3-1/2 years with my dealer close, now back to 2+ hours away...Plattsburgh NY no longer has a Harley dealer. By the way I really like my Roadster...still checks a lot of boxes for me after 27,000 miles.

The following 4 users liked this post by Adk.IBO:
BudTheGrey (10-20-2020), Marsikus (10-21-2020), Oldun (10-20-2020), robarosa (10-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?