General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 07:42 PM
wjb111
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Stopped in at the HD in Bay City Michigan. Closing up shop. Parts all over the place, computers etc. He said they lost their HD dealer license Aug 31. Still have Flint & Birch Run dealers though.
Quite sad.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:15 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 303 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by -Boogieman-
Would be helpful to have a map where folks could update as more dealerships close. This is/will impact the vast dealership network that everyone has come to rely upon when traveling.
I just call ahead. But I don't stop at a dealer for ***** and giggles.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:26 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by HiDrag
I just call ahead. But I don't stop at a dealer for ***** and giggles.
I like to call them and ask if their refrigerator is running....Then I ask if they have prince Albert in a can.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:02 AM
Oldun
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
I like to call them and ask if their refrigerator is running....Then I ask if they have prince Albert in a can.
Right. OK then. Hope that works out for you. :-)

The following users liked this post:
Falco144 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:43 AM
OneGearhead
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I have....3, within an hours drive. One JUST closed permanently @ a month or so ago, Shenandoah HD, in Staunton, VA. There is talk of the old owner maybe reopening it. He still owns the building...There's one over in Orange, which was Waugh HD, was open for 40+yrs as a family owned business. They wanted out of it and retired to enjoy life, I think. I don't think the old man passed away. At least I hope not. Sold it to a Northern VA auto group who took it over and is now Stonewall HD. Haven't been here since the takeover. And then "my" dealer, up in Winchester, VA is Groves HD, and it's thriving. I love that dealership.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 427 Likes on 193 Posts

Selling bikes like crazy in this neck of the woods. I have to laugh when people think or say the new Harleys are not innovative or competive feature wise. Right now out of all the choices, the Harley touring line offers the best comfort, mileage, electronics, control, fit and finish, paint, style, nice and quiet, plenty of power with the 114. This is as good as it has ever been for riding on 2s.

Were they over exposed and leveraged with too many dealers? Yes. Did some dealers make poor business choices? Yes. Is there a general decline in the market? Yes. Is Harley an expensive and boutique brand? Yes. Does the exploding off road scene youth still love Harleys? Yes. Will Harley survive and prosper? Yes.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:43 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,747 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Sol-Invictus
Selling bikes like crazy in this neck of the woods. I have to laugh when people think or say the new Harleys are not innovative or competive feature wise. Right now out of all the choices, the Harley touring line offers the best comfort, mileage, electronics, control, fit and finish, paint, style, nice and quiet, plenty of power with the 114. This is as good as it has ever been for riding on 2s.

Were they over exposed and leveraged with too many dealers? Yes. Did some dealers make poor business choices? Yes. Is there a general decline in the market? Yes. Is Harley an expensive and boutique brand? Yes. Does the exploding off road scene youth still love Harleys? Yes. Will Harley survive and prosper? Yes.

BWaaahhhhh Haaaaaaaaa... You're joking right? I'd probably give you fit/finish, but that is where I'd stop. (By the way fit/finish/paint/style) that's all the same thing... guys do not buy a $30k + touring bike and add stage kits, after market suspension on bikes that offer the top of the line above and beyond every other manufacturer... Common On Man... RDRS is standard on other bikes, not a couple grand add on. Other bikes have electronically controlled suspension that can be changed on the fly. Harley?? Not so much... Electronically controlled wind shields... You drank the cool-aid

Last edited by jamala00; 10-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Falco144 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Pablo94
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
With its emphasis on nostalgic designs, Harley has (perhaps inadvertently) positioned itself as a niche product. So what we are witnessing is a realignment of Harley's market share which reflects that reality.

It's kind of ironic, but one day in the not-too-distant future, Polaris or one of the other brands could end up owning Harley. And yet finding a buyer might prove difficult, since California and the UK have now mandated that new gas powered vehicles cannot be produced after 2035. If other nations and states follow suit, it's hard to envision any scenario in which ownership of Harley would be a sound long term investment.

As a company, Harley made a conscious choice to refuse to evolve, and now the time has come to pay the price for that decision.
California did not mandate th3e removal of cars by 2035. It was an executive order by "King Gavin." So he was just making a political statement...

Old 10-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 427 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
BWaaahhhhh Haaaaaaaaa... You're joking right? I'd probably give you fit/finish, but that is where I'd stop. (By the way fit/finish/paint/style) that's all the same thing... guys do not buy a $30k + touring bike and add stage kits, after market suspension on bikes that offer the top of the line above and beyond every other manufacturer... Common On Man... RDRS is standard on other bikes, not a couple grand add on. Other bikes have electronically controlled suspension that can be changed on the fly. Harley?? Not so much... Electronically controlled wind shields... You drank the cool-aid
Dont throw that kool-aid shade at me son. Truth is, the suspension on the Ultra is as good as any of the other leading brands and better in my actual experience than the Chieftan, Goldwing, Voyager, or Victory Cross Country. I actually have ridden them. Have you? The Ultra Limted is a better handling machine period. RDRS is about $900, should be standard. The 114 has plenty of power. Electronic preload is not electronically controlled suspension. Adjustable windshields are silly. Once you find the right position you don't move them. Ducati and BMW have superior suspension but they are sport tourers, a compromise.

As a champion off road racer, hard core rider, battle scarred, dirt in the veins, man, I don't care about brand, I am about the ride. I have ridden them all and the 2020 Ultra Limited was the best bike offered by all the leading brands. I had to eat a lot of crow for chosing Harley, but I don't care because a man can admit when he was wrong or had prejudices.

Just because you cam dump money into something doesn't mean you have too. All the other brands have guys dropping lots of cash after the sale.

Calgarian (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:47 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,747 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Deleted....

Last edited by jamala00; 10-16-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?