General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:01 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts
Default Goodbye Farmington Hills Harley

https://www.livingstondaily.com/stor...ls/2353534001/

Another Dealer is closing....or consolidating, as Harley likes to say

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-19-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Devil Mountain in Pittsburg, Ca closed about 10 yrs ago, don't know what's in the building now. I think it was a recession victim.
I think Jamestown, Ca closed recently.
I hope Dealing Doug doesn't buy any around here. His commercials are already on too much.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I hope Dealing Doug doesn't buy any around here. His commercials are already on too much.
Dealing Doug Moreland! For what it's worth I have heard he treats his employees well.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:35 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Building a new one for the Phoenix area. I think that makes 8, including the Harley mall in Scottsdale

Old 09-21-2019, 06:34 AM
Harleycollector6491
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone knows these owners that are closing shop please put me in contact! Im looking to buy tons of old harley shirts! I will pay for your referrals!! I'm a huggggeeee collector. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

For every Harley dealer that closes there’s an Indian dealer that’s opening and there used Harleys are cheaper !!!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:43 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
For every Harley dealer that closes there’s an Indian dealer that’s opening and there used Harleys are cheaper !!!
There in lies the gist of the problems at Harley-Davidson. Harley dealers have to self support on one product line. Indian Dealers can also sell other makes and brands, and service them. I know that in some areas, Harley-Davidson is doing well. I believe they will survive. But in rural areas, a Dealer cant make it on one brand. We have a Honda/Kawasaki dealer who does strong business and could use the boost from selling and servicing Harleys. But the Nearest Harley dealer is an hour away. And the next nearest is an hour in the other direction. I think that needs to change. At least in rural areas. Hunters and Farmers out here are crazy about those Off Road Vehicles,(OHV) maybe Harley should make a line of those too.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:03 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

I was in a family owned Dealership today, and the parts counter guy opened up a little about Harley. He said that he felt Harley was pushing sales of bikes a little too much. If they didn't meet the quota, they would be put on probation. (His words) Singly owned dealerships were especially sensitive to that pressure. He stated that he was worried about where all this was going. I think we know...lol! I wont say the dealer name or name the parts guy but he did seem realistic about things. In the same dealership, I made a phone call to parts a while back, and the guy on the phone sounded like a robot. He told me that of the nearby dealers that had closed this year, they were all "Stealing" from the factory. I asked the guy at the parts counter today, if "stealing" from the factory was a spin on Not selling the dealer quota allotted, and being unable to pay for the bikes delivered. He said that he wasn't sure about that.

Then I mentioned to him about the news that "Harley pulled the plug on LiveWire production" yesterday and he didn't know about that, but another parts guy did. They were amazed that Harley had 5-6 years to perfect the bike, and still didn't get it right. There was a large lunch crowd in the restaurant, but no one on the dealership sales floor, or parts department. Either way, there were no bells ringing there today while I was there. And this was after they were closed for a holiday yesterday.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/14/ha...fter-ev-debut/

Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 PM
HarleyWannaBe
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
I was in a family owned Dealership today, and the parts counter guy opened up a little about Harley. He said that he felt Harley was pushing sales of bikes a little too much. If they didn't meet the quota, they would be put on probation. (His words) Singly owned dealerships were especially sensitive to that pressure. He stated that he was worried about where all this was going. I think we know...lol! I wont say the dealer name or name the parts guy but he did seem realistic about things. In the same dealership, I made a phone call to parts a while back, and the guy on the phone sounded like a robot. He told me that of the nearby dealers that had closed this year, they were all "Stealing" from the factory. I asked the guy at the parts counter today, if "stealing" from the factory was a spin on Not selling the dealer quota allotted, and being unable to pay for the bikes delivered. He said that he wasn't sure about that.

Then I mentioned to him about the news that "Harley pulled the plug on LiveWire production" yesterday and he didn't know about that, but another parts guy did. They were amazed that Harley had 5-6 years to perfect the bike, and still didn't get it right. There was a large lunch crowd in the restaurant, but no one on the dealership sales floor, or parts department. Either way, there were no bells ringing there today while I was there. And this was after they were closed for a holiday yesterday.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/14/ha...fter-ev-debut/
what do you mean by dealers stealing from the factory? Do you mean performing warranty work that shouldn't be covered under warranty?

Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 PM
HarleyWannaBe
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
I wished the one near me would change hands, as it is I take my business to one of the three that are 1.5 - 3 hours away instead of the one 20 minutes away and have for the past 10 plus years
The three closest dealers to me are 5, 11 and 22 miles away. There are others nearby too, but i take mine to one an hour away.

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?