General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:58 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,571 Likes on 3,284 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
I wonder where they get the parts for Older bikes. I imagine some are NOS OEM, but I also bet the aftermarket gets their business. Ask them how long of a wait for parts is....?
Suppliers are out there, I found a set of NOS mirrors from the discontinued Sportster Collection... in The Netherlands. Some guy by the name of Jan Willem Boon, apparently he has warehouses full of NOS HD parts including complete crate engines.

https://www.jwboon.com/

Problem is, he won't ship to the U.S. or South America. The company I work for has a rep in The Netherlands, I sent him the money and he bought the mirrors and shipped them to me.

If you want or need them bad enough...

Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

I have 10 dealers within 70mi of my AO

Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Suppliers are out there, I found a set of NOS mirrors from the discontinued Sportster Collection... in The Netherlands. Some guy by the name of Jan Willem Boon, apparently he has warehouses full of NOS HD parts including complete crate engines.

https://www.jwboon.com/

Problem is, he won't ship to the U.S. or South America. The company I work for has a rep in The Netherlands, I sent him the money and he bought the mirrors and shipped them to me.

If you want or need them bad enough...
I went to his website...Yes he has some parts I am in the market for. Alas he doesn't ship to the US. Thanks for the tip. I wish I had a Chinaman in the Netherlands....Here's a quote from his website. "Starting 15 March 2018 I will only ship to European countries" Must be because of the import tariffs I guess.

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:02 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

A couple of crooked ones , but they will be purchased by someone else.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smitty901
A couple of crooked ones , but they will be purchased by someone else.
I have been waiting for almost a year on the rumors that someone is buying out a closed dealership. I'll believe it when I see it. Don't believe everything you hear when it comes to Harley Davidson. They have a brand to protect, and that comes with an agenda. Dealers Owners are called crooks, and are said to be stealing from Harley when dealerships close. What happens when a dealer cant sell all the bikes that Harley is shipping to them? Obviously, they cant afford to pay for them. So then the dealer closes, and Harley-Davidson is contacted by the media for comment, and the media is told in a One Sided Interview that the dealership was "stealing" from the Factory Moco. No Hard questions asked. Fake News anyone???

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 AM
mbkjad
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Central PA we have three dealers within thirty minutes of our house. Expand the drive to 90 minutes and the list goes up to six. The crazy thing is they are all successful. One of them is moving bikes continually and is supposedly the largest dealer in the country. All of them are busy and all but one are open seven days a week. Service departments open six days a week and techs on hand on Sundays for rider's who break down.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:49 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mbkjad
Here in Central PA we have three dealers within thirty minutes of our house. Expand the drive to 90 minutes and the list goes up to six. The crazy thing is they are all successful. One of them is moving bikes continually and is supposedly the largest dealer in the country. All of them are busy and all but one are open seven days a week. Service departments open six days a week and techs on hand on Sundays for rider's who break down.
I don't fall for the self described "Largest Dealer" in the country anymore....It's subjective. Larger in Square footage? Largest consolidated dealership which may contain several dealerships? Same for amount of bikes sold. Is that a grand total for any owner no matter how many dealerships are owned?

I am glad your dealer is doing well. However in southern Wisconsin we are losing dealers faster than greased lightning...Four this year that I know of. And there are also rumors that they are reopening soon. I remain skeptical. But you would think that the factory would want a decent dealership network near where they are headquartered. Right not we are few and far between in So Wisconsin.

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-17-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,571 Likes on 3,284 Posts

Keeping it right at an hour or less away I have 6 dealers near me. They all seem to be doing ok, Bloomington HD was just sold to the people that own IndyWest, the original owners retired.

HD of Indianapolis
IndyWest HD
Southside HD
HD of Bloomington
Manns HD
Hunters Moon HD

Stretch the time out to 1.5 hours and there is Cannonball HD, and Richmond HD.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 661 Posts

Eight within 50 miles of me. As far as I know, they are all doing well.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley

This summer, two Dealerships closed permanently in my area. Monroe, Wi, and Janesville, Wi. I was wondering how stable the HD ship is these days all over the country. It seems to me that Harley missed the opportunity by not continuing to manufacture parts for older Harleys. There are still a ton of Evos, and Older Twin Cams out there. Harley has let the aftermarket have this business opportunity. I am more than often forced to buy aftermarket, or buy used parts online these days. The nearest dealer by me now is Rockford, Il and they have purged their Evo parts long ago.

https://www.gazettextra.com/news/bus...fe18c6ccb.html
I am in northern Illinois and dealers here are doing good. Some, more than others. And we have quite a few of them here. Within riding distance of my house we have Conrad's, Heritage (my favorite), Fox River, Wild One, Wild Fire, Chicago H-D, Chi-Town, Starved Rock H-D, Rockford, Phantom, City-Limits, Lake Shore and a few others.

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealers closing in your area?