General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Scorpio
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out

As a commercial truck driver I can tell you that you dont want to be near one when it blows. There is 120 lbs of pressure in truck tires and it comes out with extreme force. I had one blow out on me a couple of years ago and it literally blew the entire fender off the truck.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 PM
vegashd
Banned

I was in our 01 ford dually pulling an 8x16 foot enclosed trailer. I was getting ready to pass a semi in the left land when the outside front trailer tire blew. the tread came off and ripped my dually fender off and flung up and hit the trailer. It dented in right on the top edge which was rolled in about 12" piece of sheetmetal or something. This was after taking out my dually fender. i could noe imagine what would happen to a motorcyclist.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Motogo
Road Captain

A couple of weeks ago, a guy I went to school with was riding in a car with another fellow. The other fellow was driving and they passed a truck coming from the other direction. The way the paper explained it, the truck blew a tire and a piece of iron that held the mud flap on came through the windo and cut his head off. Freak accident? I think so. But I get my *** around trucks a little faster and on down the road. Sorry for being so graphic, but please don't ride beside the trucks, get around them, Even a tread coming off could slap you off your bike.

ORIGINAL: harleybodei

I have been curious about whether anyone out there has ever had a tractor trailer blow a tire while they were riding beside it going down the road.
It crosses my mind everytime I am passing one on the highway.
Never heard of it happening to anyone I know so I thought I would check the Forum.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: Motogo

A couple of weeks ago, a guy I went to school with was riding in a car with another fellow. The other fellow was driving and they passed a truck coming from the other direction. The way the paper explained it, the truck blew a tire and a piece of iron that held the mud flap on came through the windo and cut his head off. Freak accident? I think so. But I get my *** around trucks a little faster and on down the road. Sorry for being so graphic, but please don't ride beside the trucks, get around them, Even a tread coming off could slap you off your bike.

I have been curious about whether anyone out there has ever had a tractor trailer blow a tire while they were riding beside it going down the road.
It crosses my mind everytime I am passing one on the highway.
Never heard of it happening to anyone I know so I thought I would check the Forum.
im not timid at all when riding.... but i always will get by trucks as fast as possible.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,305 Likes on 6,119 Posts

I had one blow in front of me and fly up and hit me in the head. If it were not for the helmet, I would probably be dead right now. Scared the **** outta me too. Whenever I pass a big truck, Im out and in front of them as fast as I can be. Never get beside one and linger there.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:15 PM
El Jefe
Intermediate

Back in the late 70's I was behind a tractor trailer on the Long Island Expressway during a 100+ degree summer day when one of his retreads blew. I was wearing a full face helmet and a large chunk of the retread hit be square in the face and stuck to the face shield blocking most of my view and nearly knocking me clear off the bike. I got pulled over and stopped and after shaking uncontrollably for 10 minutes I peeled the tire chunk off the face shield. It leftso much goo and slime on the shield I couldn't use it anymore. Ended up with agood case whip lash from the hit. To this day I stay way behind tractor trailers.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,305 Likes on 6,119 Posts

Yea,
I had it happen in a cage one time and the force of the tire hitting a rider would have to be incredible and almost impossible to hold on.
Hey, I see we are neighbors. I live in Elizabethtown, only about 20 minutes west of you.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Flatbedder
Advanced

I am also a commercial driver. No. I disagree that 70% of rubber on the road is from new tires. If that were the case then the tire companys would be out of buisness. I have NEVER in over 25 years of driving semi trucks lost a new tire to a blow out unless the tire was previously damaged in some way. I have lost SEVERAL retreaded tires and not only do you lose the tire in a blow out you also lose lotsoftruck parts too. They are expensive to repair. Any money saved in buying retreads can easilybe lost in damage.A catastrophic tire failure will kill you deadif you are on a bike and you are next to it or behind it.

Most drivers are, likeI mentioned in another post, bikers. We love to hear those nice loud pipes on the bikes that pass us on the road. We are just trying to make a little money out here so when we get home we can ride to. Lets hear those pipes. Pass those trucks as soon and as quickly as possible and every body stays safe.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I don't believe that 70% figure, either. My cousin runs several grain trucks and he stopped using recaps several years ago. New tires last longer and don't lose the tread like recaps. He thinks new tires are cheaper in the long run. I've never seen one of the new tires blow in a drastic way like recaps do.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Flatbedder

I am also a commercial driver. No. I disagree that 70% of rubber on the road is from new tires. If that were the case then the tire companys would be out of buisness. I have NEVER in over 25 years of driving semi trucks lost a new tire to a blow out unless the tire was previously damaged in some way. I have lost SEVERAL retreaded tires and not only do you lose the tire in a blow out you also lose lotsoftruck parts too. They are expensive to repair. Any money saved in buying retreads can easilybe lost in damage.A catastrophic tire failure will kill you deadif you are on a bike and you are next to it or behind it.

Most drivers are, likeI mentioned in another post, bikers. We love to hear those nice loud pipes on the bikes that pass us on the road. We are just trying to make a little money out here so when we get home we can ride to. Lets hear those pipes. Pass those trucks as soon and as quickly as possible and every body stays safe.
I second this 100%. I'm a dispatcher for a team of trucks and often call in the tire replacements. Most big companies even choose to run re-treads/recaps on any axle except for the absolute rear axle in dump trucking. I have had to replace fenders, lights and light housings, mud flaps and angle and flat bar mudflap mounts, and even a rear axle break chamber from recap/retread pops. It can be a bad deal.

And 20+ of my 33 owner/operatorsare riders. So they understand if you're getting around them. They would do the same thing to you.

Quick Reply: Tractor Trailer Tire Blow-Out