General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 785 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain

Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain
By Bruce Montcombroux

The real test for any touring machine is a cross-country trek.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:26 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I owned a Chieftain and now own the Street Glide so I didn't bother to read the comparison. My Street Glide is more fun to ride and handles as well as the Chieftain. The Street Glide wins for looks and for fit and finish and the Milwaukee 8 is a more spirited engine. I miss some of the features my Chieftain had such as, the locking hard bags and adjustable windshield but I can easily live without them. Suspension was slightly better on the Chieftain but it was an inconvenience to have to keep the proper pressure in the air shock and mine always seemed to lose air. of course the dealer could never find anything wrong with it.

I always thought that I would end up back on an Indian but now I have my doubts and am perfectly content where I am at and I've put far more miles on both models to know what the better bike is and I currently own it. Next summer I'll be trading in my street glide for a Road Glide Ultra.

Looking at the photo's you can definitely see that Indian is go after the Street Glide. Really hard to tell them apart when you see them coming in the opposite direction.

Last edited by RET_SCPO; 08-01-2019 at 12:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RET_SCPO:
CaffeineBuzz (08-01-2019), Michael Haz (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,350 Likes on 6,143 Posts

I have never ridden an Indian but I have looked at them a few times and from what I see the fit and finish just isn't up to HD standards. I also think the small stuff could use some work. Things like mirrors, turn signals, switches and controls seem to be cheaply made.
If they were to dial that stuff in I would definitely give them some consideration the next time I bought a bike.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

I've ridden both motorcycles. While I preferred the Indian's electrically adjustable windscreen and larger infotainment display, the Harley fit me better, handled better, and has a higher build quality. And the M8 engine has better heat management than the TS111. They are close, though, but the deal-breaker is the small number of Indian dealerships and a nagging belief that if the economy goes south Polaris will can the Indian brand like it did the Victory brand.

In the end, I bought a Harley - an Ultra Limited as I usually ride two-up - and some 21,000 miles later remain very happy with that decision.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts

You used the words Indian motorcycle in a thread , so this should be put into the Indian mega thread in the next hour !

Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 471 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
I've ridden both motorcycles. While I preferred the Indian's electrically adjustable windscreen and larger infotainment display, the Harley fit me better, handled better, and has a higher build quality. And the M8 engine has better heat management than the TS111. They are close, though, but the deal-breaker is the small number of Indian dealerships and a nagging belief that if the economy goes south Polaris will can the Indian brand like it did the Victory brand.

In the end, I bought a Harley - an Ultra Limited as I usually ride two-up - and some 21,000 miles later remain very happy with that decision.
I have both an Indian Springfield and a Harley Triglide; I like them both. I agree that the small number of Indian dealers is a concern; I use my Indian around town and Harley on long trips

Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 AM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,306 Likes on 5,851 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO

Looking at the photo's you can definitely see that Indian is go after the Street Glide. Really hard to tell them apart when you see them coming in the opposite direction.
Bingo. Its another attempt at a carbon copy to cut into sales. Granted the "old" Indian fairing was butt ugly, but Im not real sure that a near carbon copy of the Harley is the answer either. It all boils down to do you want a cheap imitation, or do you want the original item. For all the bitching that some do about Harleys, if they werent doing something VERY right, nobody would be trying to copy them. If the differing factors between your bike (copy) and the original article are an electrically adjustable windscreen and a different layout of the dash panel, you need to go back to the drawing board

Old 08-01-2019, 08:50 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

They are both really nice bikes, but, in my opinion, the Street Glide is just nicer, with, as others have said in this thread, more attention to detail and fit and finish. I have never ridden the Indian, but I definitely will not knock it. As I said, it looks to be a nice motorcycle.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:52 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

What a worthless fluff piece that doesn't give any details or compare the two bikes.

I rode the new Chieftan at dealer demo ride this spring. After 20 minutes on the bike my but and lower back were killing me, I was happy to get back on my Sportster. This was on a bike with their big bore kit, total price of bike and upgrades was $36,000. For $36,000 motorcycle my but better feel like it is sitting on a pillow that is floating on a cloud. Salesman tried to tell me I could buy a different seat. I laughed as I rode off on my Sportster. Don't even get me started on the heat coming off that motor on the Indians.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:57 AM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...just did an Indian demo days near me and rode that Chieftain several times and it rode very nice. A few things I didn't like about it was the single turn signal switch for your left thumb. Not the easiest to reach due to it's location and I could have used a bit longer thumb. The adjustable windshield is a very nice feature and I've done some of these Indian demos over the same years, a few times on the very same bikes. One thing I've noticed is once the bikes get some miles on them, that windshield can become "rattly" as the hinge & pivot points wear.

Quick Reply: Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain