General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

???why???

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,172 Likes on 7,358 Posts

We all have our own personal opinions and taste. We are all different and why there are hundreds of different motorcycles.

If I was going to buy a different brand other that HD it would definitely NOT be Indian. I don’t like the history of the company, I don’t like the name, really don’t to ride an INDIAN! LOL But the number one reason for me is the look and style just does not appeal to me.

It was cool when they brought it back for the 6th time, but just looks old, tired and dated. Hard for them to move beyond it without being a Victory!

Ride safe.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Wow it’s still here , and it lasted a whole day too !

The following users liked this post:
Michael Haz (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Michael Haz
Cruiser
Received 97 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperdog45
A Twin-Cooled 114 M8 version with liquid-cooled cylinder heads and radiators is already in production, and is used in the Ultra Limited models, the Road Glide Ultra, and Tri-Glide models.
I own a twin-cooled M8 107. It has some liquid cooling in its heads, but the balance of the engine id air/oil-cooled. I'd like a fully-jacketed, fully anti-freeze cooled M8.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky357 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 06:17 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT-RapTor
There new bike coming out most likely next month is a pure copy of a road glide. I owned an Indian and the fit and finish is poor. I had the scout next to a Vulcan-S and the Vulcan was far better for half the price.
well if the Road Glide has 120hp and water cooling and an adjustable windscreen and real shock travel and TPMS and ... oh well... well the Challenger (their fixed fairing motorcycle) is a single headlight....

seriously who gives a ****, the more the merrier. Indian adds features Harley is too damn cheap to add and Harley has fit and finish, especially paint and controls Indian is too cheap to match.

and both cannot make a bike that isn't a pig compared to the Europeans. Go figure.

With regards to Chieftan, I did not buy one because the dealer did not impress me and their "route" for test drives was not sufficient to determine how the bike handled and rode. It also was quite hot. As for HD, owned two and its going to take a significant improvement in quality control to get me to buy another let alone the touring line needs to lose weight and get a real suspension in the rear.

Last edited by ChrisHo; 08-02-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I currently ride a 2016 Springfield. Rode Harley for over 40 years. Both good machines and agree with the fit and finish comments. Harley has always in my experience been the leader in that dept. My last Harley (05 FLSTSC) was bulletproof (112,000 miles), and my Indian has been as well (37,000 miles so far).

I am currently looking for a late model carb’d EVO however to replace my Indian. I find the newer bikes whether HD or Polaris have too much unnecessary BS that is better in cages than on scooters.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts

So I read this and had to go over to my Indian dealer to look at the new bikes . I spend more time looking at the used Harley and victory’s , and so was another guy .
We were laughing because here we were in the Indian dealer and both of us were sitting on Harleys .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 08-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:48 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
Next summer I'll be trading in my street glide for a Road Glide Ultra.
...... Road Glide LTD

Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 AM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I currently ride a 2016 Springfield. Rode Harley for over 40 years. Both good machines and agree with the fit and finish comments. Harley has always in my experience been the leader in that dept. My last Harley (05 FLSTSC) was bulletproof (112,000 miles), and my Indian has been as well (37,000 miles so far).

I am currently looking for a late model carb’d EVO however to replace my Indian. I find the newer bikes whether HD or Polaris have too much unnecessary BS that is better in cages than on scooters.
I checked out the Springfield and was surprised how light it was off the kickstand, a very well balanced bike. It's the model I would get if I bought an Indian.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Haz
Good. I'm glad Indian is doing this because it will ultimately force HD to update its Touring frame and suspension in order to remain competitive. Whether HD will develop a liquid-cooled version of the M8 is anyone's guess, but that time is coming as well.

Competition improves the products.
Probably never. If/when they do that, it'll likely be a different engine name.

Quick Reply: Comparing Harley-Davidson Street Glide and the Indian Chieftain