General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist found

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist found

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

Police depts in Ca. dont get any revenue generated from tickets. That is a state law to prevent over zealous small towns from making a killing. A very high percentage of revenue has to go to the state. Where do you get your figure from regarding a 14 min stop and the local P.D. out here averages 59 an hour (that is the average from the newest rookie to the Lieutenant). There is a heck of a lot more cost associated with tickets than the cops salary and the price of the citation. That ticket has to go through a whole process from the cop up to possibly the judge with about 4 to five other people in between. I work for a city in So. Cal and for every quick ticket that is paid with no hassles I see budget reports relating to court expenses and they are astronomical. Our city pays 250K a year for one bike cop and his main duties are school enforcement which generate very little revenue (and as stated above most of it goes to the state). We have to pay for the maintenance as well. They ride just over 3K a month and tear those bikes up. Every month we spend just about 1200 in maintenance. A set of tires is 400.00 (run flats) installed. Ride safe!
Not so in Oregon which I was referring to. Every town is allowed to have its own muni court. They hire a lawyer to come in nights and be the judge. Imagine just how successful and wonderful a lawyer has to be to want to work nights in some little "court room" for some little town.

The towns keep the money. The cops work for them and are a close-knit bunch, believe me. They are buds with the judge and the council and the mayor.

You don't stand a chance.

Now you wanna know why they didn't care about that motorist that they got a 911 call for when they crashed and left the road? Wanna know why they couldn't be bothered to help me recover my stolen trailer?

I can guess...

PS If you lose in muni court (and you will) you can appeal to the Circuit Court. (State court.) You just might get it reversed there because the "real" judges don't think much of the so-called muni judges sometimes. You'll need to hire a lawyer and pay court costs though so most don't bother.
You really need to do some more research before you jump on your high horse and start rambling like an idiot. The police did search for the car. Yes, the search was delayed due to a new dispatcher and some jurisdictional questions but they did do a search. The area the car was found was not visible from the road. It was found from the air. In fact, it was reported that the OSP even got out of there vehicles and walked the section of highway that was reported as being the location the car was said to have gone off. Again, it was not visible from the road. As far as the report of the car and the search for the missing Cali. couple being related? The original search for the couple was in the Mt Hood/Hood Riverarea. It was not reported until almost a week later that the couple had been seen in Tillamook which is what prompted the air search to begin.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SLORider

I had considered getting Lojack for this sceanario as i do most of my riding solo but it doesn't cover enough areas. I'm not sure there is anything other than a cell phone to help us in these situations.

This will solve the problem of riding solo and being
hurt laying somewhere people can't see you! You can
be located anywhere on this planet at anytime..

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...261&page=1

Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGSKY_FLHXI

Police depts in Ca. dont get any revenue generated from tickets. That is a state law to prevent over zealous small towns from making a killing. A very high percentage of revenue has to go to the state. Where do you get your figure from regarding a 14 min stop and the local P.D. out here averages 59 an hour (that is the average from the newest rookie to the Lieutenant). There is a heck of a lot more cost associated with tickets than the cops salary and the price of the citation. That ticket has to go through a whole process from the cop up to possibly the judge with about 4 to five other people in between. I work for a city in So. Cal and for every quick ticket that is paid with no hassles I see budget reports relating to court expenses and they are astronomical. Our city pays 250K a year for one bike cop and his main duties are school enforcement which generate very little revenue (and as stated above most of it goes to the state). We have to pay for the maintenance as well. They ride just over 3K a month and tear those bikes up. Every month we spend just about 1200 in maintenance. A set of tires is 400.00 (run flats) installed. Ride safe!
Not so in Oregon which I was referring to. Every town is allowed to have its own muni court. They hire a lawyer to come in nights and be the judge. Imagine just how successful and wonderful a lawyer has to be to want to work nights in some little "court room" for some little town.

The towns keep the money. The cops work for them and are a close-knit bunch, believe me. They are buds with the judge and the council and the mayor.

Now you wanna know why they didn't care about that motorist that they got a 911 call for when they crashed and left the road? Wanna know why they couldn't be bothered to help me recover my stolen trailer?

I can guess...

PS If you lose in muni court (and you will) you can appeal to the Circuit Court. (State court.) You just might get it reversed there because the "real" judges don't think much of the so-called muni judges sometimes. You'll need to hire a lawyer and pay court costs though so most don't bother.
You really need to do some more research before you jump on your high horse and start rambling like an idiot. The police did search for the car. Yes, the search was delayed due to a new dispatcher and some jurisdictional questions but they did do a search. The area the car was found was not visible from the road. It was found from the air. In fact, it was reported that the OSP even got out of there vehicles and walked the section of highway that was reported as being the location the car was said to have gone off. Again, it was not visible from the road. As far as the report of the car and the search for the missing Cali. couple being related? The original search for the couple was in the Mt Hood/Hood Riverarea. It was not reported until almost a week later that the couple had been seen in Tillamook which is what prompted the air search to begin.
I don't think we need to call each other names. Please?

The air search was conducted by the family, is that right? Found the car right away because the accident had been reported via cell phone by a citizen at the time it happened?

And I'm correct about our Oregon court system. It's just as I said it is.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

Was not intending to call names. No experience with small town courts but the whole tone was LEO and court system bashing (or at least that is what came across to me) and it rubbed me wrong. No hard feelings on my part and hopefully on yours. I think we can definitely agree that it was a tragic situation and I am glad the motorcycle incident turned out better.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

I lived in Fairfield from '94 to '02 and rode all over those roads. Went back last fall and couldn't believe how many new houses were there. The house I sold in '02 has almost doubled in value in < 5 years. Miss my friends including several Fairfield LEOs, but love living in NM and not commuting across a toll bridge.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM
1pchmotoho
Novice

I can guess...

That sucks then and it would benefit all if those rules were changed. Down here you will see cops be friendly with judges during closed chambers but both sides do a pretty good job of not crossing the line.
Ride safe.