General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist found

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:26 PM
UncleDave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist found

Where this took place is 15 miles south of where I grew up. I am a 4th generation native there. My family has been there since the 20's, and I can tell you from experience that the CHP in that area are mostly a bunch of lazy, self serving ****** that only are concerned about their ticket count. Now I have run into a couple of decent patrolmen that did stop to help when I was broken down. Admittedly I was on the causway and was blocking traffic. That area is a known speed trap and has been for 30 years. I used to ride that stretch of road all the time from Dixon to Rio Vista to Fairifield. And most of the local cops from Dixon, Vacaville, and Rio Vista hate the CHP. I even know a few retired CHP officers that are highly critical of the way the CHP is enforcing in that area. One of the main revinue generating department in Cali is the CHP. I am not bashing cops but these guys are not there to serve and prtect they are there to ticket and tow.

UD

Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

hey Dave you ever been to Collinsville or Birds Landing ?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 AM
UncleDave
Cruiser

Collinsville yes, Birds Landing not that I remember. Knights Landing, more times than I can count! Been fishing all over the delta. I miss that now. But, everything has changed so much there now. There's a super Wallymart in Dixon for Christ's sake! They even turned the Buckhorn into some kind of preppy bar now. That was one of the best dive biker bars I knew, other than T.J.'s Tavern in Vacaville. Oh well.

UD

Old 07-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: UncleDave

Collinsville yes, Birds Landing not that I remember. Knights Landing, more times than I can count! Been fishing all over the delta. I miss that now. But, everything has changed so much there now. There's a super Wallymart in Dixon for Christ's sake! They even turned the Buckhorn into some kind of preppy bar now. That was one of the best dive biker bars I knew, other than T.J.'s Tavern in Vacaville. Oh well.

UD
well you went through Birds Landing to get to Collinville back in 71 I used to stay out at the Montezuma Ranch (my grand dad took care of the place). and yes there is great Stergeon Fishing there along with Catfish , hadn't been out there in many years but I do feel a ride comming on
my take a trip out there in a couple weeks on the bike and then on over to Iselton

Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

a little exaturation on oregon couple missing a week, and even them they weren`t sure if they were really missing or just camping out,thats how these damn rumour get blown out of shape
The California couple to which I was referring that was found in Oregonwent missing June 7th and were found around July1st. I recalled it was "a couple of months" and obviously I mis-spoke. I apologize. It was an aside to my main point and wasn't important. The car literally appeared to be about ten feet from the road almost at the point where the 911 caller said he saw the car go off the road and reported it as such at the time. So the fact is that authorities were notified WHEN IT happened as to WHERE IT HAPPENED. As I recall, Clatsop County authorities and Oregon State Police were squabbling over whose jurisdiction it was ( which was obviously more important ) and somehow couldn't find the car, although the news helicopter made it look pretty easy. They're good that way. I've driven that road several times and have no problem understanding how difficult it actually was, but the media isn't going to necessarily make it look realistic, are they ?

However, if someone were to claim that I was exaggerating or "exaturation" you'd think they'd not "exaturate" THEIR facts and get their facts straight. Percentage-wise, you were about as far off as I was.

edit: Sorry, I "exaturated" again. The car was twenty yards off the road. I said it "appeared" to be ten feet off the road. Sorry I can't get my facts straight.
I'm in Oregon and that's a true story. Someone witnessed the accident and called 911 on a cell. No follow-up by cops.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad the guy is OK.

This kind of thing happened to a high-school friend of mine back in '03 here in Minnesota. Disappeared on the way home one night...missed one sister's wedding that he was to be in...another sister's baby being born. He was found 4 or 5 days later surviving some of that summer's hottest and most humid weeks. The searches involved all sorts of vehicles land and air, but was found by a searcher on foot. It took a while to "get back to normal" but he's all good now.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 AM
UncleDave
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

ORIGINAL: UncleDave

UD
well you went through Birds Landing to get to Collinville back in 71 I used to stay out at the Montezuma Ranch (my grand dad took care of the place). and yes there is great Stergeon Fishing there along with Catfish , hadn't been out there in many years but I do feel a ride comming on
my take a trip out there in a couple weeks on the bike and then on over to Iselton
Yeah we had great sturgeon and catfish just 10 min. from the house I grew up in. I miss that. Isleton is cool we used to fish that neck of the woods too. Did you ever fish for stugeon by the mothball fleet in Vallejo? Great fishing there.

UD

Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mtnlvr

Glad the guy is OK.

This kind of thing happened to a high-school friend of mine back in '03 here in Minnesota. Disappeared on the way home one night...missed one sister's wedding that he was to be in...another sister's baby being born. He was found 4 or 5 days later surviving some of that summer's hottest and most humid weeks. The searches involved all sorts of vehicles land and air, but was found by a searcher on foot. It took a while to "get back to normal" but he's all good now.
Wow, I'm glad he's OK. Bummer.

How would he have felt if someone had witnessed him leaving the road (the accident) and called the exact time and location in to 911 on a cell phone and no one searched for him? That's the true story of what just happened in Oregon.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 PM
1pchmotoho
Novice

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: 1pchmotoho

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: 1pchmotoho

ORIGINAL: Crazy Biker

Writing tickets is more profitable, actually helping people isn't.
Your kidding, right?
nope, I am sure he is not. the 150k I lost in 8 hours in one store of mine and the helpful cops who got full info of one thief who was on one of two stolen bikes from me from that same robbery. the guy could not remember where he got the bike form (less then ayear before) and they did not so much as get a name from the guy to give to Nevada before takig the bike.
Sorry to hear about your loss and it sounds as if the police dropped the ball big time but what does that have to do with profits. The only P.D. around here that actually profits from ticket writing are the Federales (Tijuana) about 250 miles south. Do you believe that the cops took your 150K investment?
nope did not even hint to that. The average ticket at 145 dollars, and takes on average 14 minutes to make a stop. Whats the cop making? 25-30 bucks an hour? looks profitable to me!!
Police depts in Ca. dont get any revenue generated from tickets. That is a state law to prevent over zealous small towns from making a killing. A very high percentage of revenue has to go to the state. Where do you get your figure from regarding a 14 min stop and the local P.D. out here averages 59 an hour (that is the average from the newest rookie to the Lieutenant). There is a heck of a lot more cost associated with tickets than the cops salary and the price of the citation. That ticket has to go through a whole process from the cop up to possibly the judge with about 4 to five other people in between. I work for a city in So. Cal and for every quick ticket that is paid with no hassles I see budget reports relating to court expenses and they are astronomical. Our city pays 250K a year for one bike cop and his main duties are school enforcement which generate very little revenue (and as stated above most of it goes to the state). We have to pay for the maintenance as well. They ride just over 3K a month and tear those bikes up. Every month we spend just about 1200 in maintenance. A set of tires is 400.00 (run flats) installed. Ride safe!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Police depts in Ca. dont get any revenue generated from tickets. That is a state law to prevent over zealous small towns from making a killing. A very high percentage of revenue has to go to the state. Where do you get your figure from regarding a 14 min stop and the local P.D. out here averages 59 an hour (that is the average from the newest rookie to the Lieutenant). There is a heck of a lot more cost associated with tickets than the cops salary and the price of the citation. That ticket has to go through a whole process from the cop up to possibly the judge with about 4 to five other people in between. I work for a city in So. Cal and for every quick ticket that is paid with no hassles I see budget reports relating to court expenses and they are astronomical. Our city pays 250K a year for one bike cop and his main duties are school enforcement which generate very little revenue (and as stated above most of it goes to the state). We have to pay for the maintenance as well. They ride just over 3K a month and tear those bikes up. Every month we spend just about 1200 in maintenance. A set of tires is 400.00 (run flats) installed. Ride safe!
Not so in Oregon which I was referring to. Every town is allowed to have its own muni court. They hire a lawyer to come in nights and be the judge. Imagine just how successful and wonderful a lawyer has to be to want to work nights in some little "court room" for some little town.

The towns keep the money. The cops work for them and are a close-knit bunch, believe me. They are buds with the judge and the council and the mayor.

You don't stand a chance.

Now you wanna know why they didn't care about that motorist that they got a 911 call for when they crashed and left the road? Wanna know why they couldn't be bothered to help me recover my stolen trailer?

I can guess...

PS If you lose in muni court (and you will) you can appeal to the Circuit Court. (State court.) You just might get it reversed there because the "real" judges don't think much of the so-called muni judges sometimes. You'll need to hire a lawyer and pay court costs though so most don't bother.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist found