General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcyclist found

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,490 Likes on 3,309 Posts
Default RE: Motorcyclist found

Civil Air Patrol uses fixed wing craft, right ?

CHP were probably using helicopters.

To be fair, the guys went off near a pond in the tule weeds, so shadows were probably a factor. Also, there are probably 40 miles of highway to check.

Also, to be fair, I am intimately aware of LEO operations. There are VERY good and dedicated LEOs, and then there a few who are just punching the clock.

I'm not saying it wasn't expanable. It just doesn't sound impressive. Maybe the private pilot is just very good.

http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_6357253

Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 PM
1pchmotoho
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: 1pchmotoho

ORIGINAL: Crazy Biker

Writing tickets is more profitable, actually helping people isn't.
Your kidding, right?
nope, I am sure he is not. the 150k I lost in 8 hours in one store of mine and the helpful cops who got full info of one thief who was on one of two stolen bikes from me from that same robbery. the guy could not remember where he got the bike form (less then ayear before) and they did not so much as get a name from the guy to give to Nevada before takig the bike.
Sorry to hear about your loss and it sounds as if the police dropped the ball big time but what does that have to do with profits. The only P.D. around here that actually profits from ticket writing are the Federales (Tijuana) about 250 miles south. Do you believe that the cops took your 150K investment?

Old 07-13-2007, 07:25 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The article even says that he crashed into thick brush, and that they believe he crawed into a clearing, after hearing aircraft.

Blaming the cops is a bit of a stretch, unless of course you're a liberal. Then, it's a reasonable sounding excuse.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:14 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: Crazy Biker

Writing tickets is more profitable, actually helping people isn't.
Your kidding, right?
nope, I am sure he is not. the 150k I lost in 8 hours in one store of mine and the helpful cops who got full info of one thief who was on one of two stolen bikes from me from that same robbery. the guy could not remember where he got the bike form (less then ayear before) and they did not so much as get a name from the guy to give to Nevada before takig the bike.
Sorry to hear about your loss and it sounds as if the police dropped the ball big time but what does that have to do with profits. The only P.D. around here that actually profits from ticket writing are the Federales (Tijuana) about 250 miles south. Do you believe that the cops took your 150K investment?
nope did not even hint to that. The average ticket at 145 dollars, and takes on average 14 minutes to make a stop. Whats the cop making? 25-30 bucks an hour? looks profitable to me!!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

The article even says that he crashed into thick brush, and that they believe he crawed into a clearing, after hearing aircraft.

Blaming the cops is a bit of a stretch, unless of course you're a liberal. Then, it's a reasonable sounding excuse.
Yeah, I pointed out the brush complication already when offering plausible reasons for the difficulty in locating him, but thanks for implying I didn't. I also offered more other explanations than you did.

One of the other articles I saw said the private helicopter first saw something shiny from above, which turned out to be the motorcycle. It also must have crawled into a clearing when it heard the helicopter.

I am trying to not give too much away with regards to my relationships to LEOs, for which I have much respect, and yet am also very aware of the manipulations of some of the less-than-fine of the finest.

Suffice to say that around where this situation happened, the CHP are not always well thought of by the other local police and sheriff agencies that I know of. Obviously, when they need to, they'd band together like brothers. But CHP can be somewhat territorial,and to be fair I have no knowledge if they became exclusive with regards to this particular incident. The relatives of the victim, however, were becoming increasingly frustrated with their treatment, which is why they hired the more effective private charter.

But today I asked two of, uhm, the LEOs I know and frequently share good-natured banter withabout the CHP in our local area with regards to this particular incident-

The first one said " Oh, no, not again "

The second one said, " Oops, looks like they screwed the pooch on that one again "

I'm really not so much bashing cops as much as I'm saying how unfortunate the appearance is.

At the same time, tell me- if it was a cop that had run off the road or if the person who did run off the road had committed a crime against a LEO, do you think they would have somehow found the resources to find him ?Yeah, I think so too. And I would hope that they would. And yet, in this age of budget cutbacks, effort for private citizens is diminished.

If you were laying in a ditch, would you prefer that the cop looking for a burnt-out license plate light would instead be looking for you ?

Signed,
Libby Real

Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a little exaturation on oregon couple missing a week, and even them they weren`t sure if they were really missing or just camping out,thats how these damn rumour get blown out of shape

Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not a cop basher.

However, the ones in my area will NOT stop if they see you stranded on the road.

I have many first hand experiences with this. Not once did I have a cop stop as I tried to wave them down.

VERY discouraging.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

I dont see any problem with what was posted about the LEO's not putting all in to the search and I have a son that is a local LEO in the near area

what gets me is before this whole post I had never heard a thing of this story and the guy works less then 8 miles from where I live and hwy 12 is 12 miles from where I live
so it sounds as if because it was some one on a bike they wernt to thrilled about putting the effort in to finding this person , I just dont think we are getting the whole story and neither is JOHN Q PUBLIC

Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

a little exaturation on oregon couple missing a week, and even them they weren`t sure if they were really missing or just camping out,thats how these damn rumour get blown out of shape
The California couple to which I was referring that was found in Oregonwent missing June 7th and were found around July1st. I recalled it was "a couple of months" and obviously I mis-spoke. I apologize. It was an aside to my main point and wasn't important. The car literally appeared to be about ten feet from the road almost at the point where the 911 caller said he saw the car go off the road and reported it as such at the time. So the fact is that authorities were notified WHEN IT happened as to WHERE IT HAPPENED. As I recall, Clatsop County authorities and Oregon State Police were squabbling over whose jurisdiction it was ( which was obviously more important ) and somehow couldn't find the car, although the news helicopter made it look pretty easy. They're good that way. I've driven that road several times and have no problem understanding how difficult it actually was, but the media isn't going to necessarily make it look realistic, are they ?

However, if someone were to claim that I was exaggerating or "exaturation" you'd think they'd not "exaturate" THEIR facts and get their facts straight. Percentage-wise, you were about as far off as I was.

edit: Sorry, I "exaturated" again. The car was twenty yards off the road. I said it "appeared" to be ten feet off the road. Sorry I can't get my facts straight.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:23 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

ORIGINAL: jethro001

Happy that everything worked out for the guy.....sad to say I have seen many times where a person is on the side of the road in trouble and the police just cruise on by...wonderexactly what there real job description is.....apparently not protect and serve...eh. I also can't imagine not having a cell phone.
Gee,did all these people you saw being passed by that were off the side of the roadwaving the cops down so they could see them. I've never seen that once in the small metro area I live in (4.5 million). I can tell your just another cop basher, like you really know what's alwaysgoing on. Give me a feakin' break. Wait until you really need one, then lets hear the tune you sing then. Oh wait, I forgot, they will probably cruise on by and leave you stranded along the side of the road like they do everybody.
With all due respect, some of us come by that belief honestly. I recently had an expensive car trailer stolen. Someone tipped me about who took it and where it was - behind a locked fence where I couldn't see it or get it. The police dept. had an officer call me. He couldn't be bothered to come out - just took the report over the phone. No follow up. I knew who he was, too.

An hour later some buddies and I went to bust in and get that trailer. We passed that very cop running a radar trap!!!!

We got to the fenced property and confronted the thief. He chickened out and coughed up the trailer - unlocked the gate and let us take it. Mind you this is a late-model DMV licensed and registered 'motor vehicle' trailer, not some little oldcrapper.

No follow-up from the cops. Nothing. What's this country coming to?

I could go on about cops, but I'll stop there.

Quick Reply: Motorcyclist found