General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grrr, primary derby cover bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I must be just plain lucky so far. I have never had an issue with the torx derby cover screws and I use blue loctite, torqued to the proper specification.
Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I have three Harleys and zero problems in all the years. Must be doing something wrong.
Originally Posted by tar_snake
Plain and simple - the guy who put them in put them in too tightly. They're designed to lock *without* loctite or any other stuff. It's why the *SERVICE MANUAL* says to only torque to 40-70 *INCH POUNDS*, or, let your one-year old kid turn the torx driver and done! People who have problems with these bolts like this are those who think they know better than the manual and the spec's it says to use. In the OP's case, the twit who had the bike before him screwed things up.
Same here. I thought I was the only one . My factory shop manual says 84-108 inch pounds, though. I use blue loctite also. When I change the oil I get the engine HOT first. At least a 30 minute ride, not idling in the driveway for 5 minutes.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,359 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Don't over tight them and you will never have an issue. And yes make sure you use the T27

Old 07-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy

I'm still not sure why you think it's a problem, They're way better than Phillips head which is the other viable alternative that they say is best for automation.
You can't possibly think that some guy should be screwin' them in by hand.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
4 of 5 gonna have to be drilled. Son of a......
Guess I'm changing the primary oil after the charity ride this weekend.

Aluminum bolts in a steel hole. Great design moco. These are getting replaced with hex heads
Torx have my more surface area to grab. Only good thing about hex is you might be able to get wrench on them if they strip.

I had some strip. Once I started using anti seize never had a problem again.

I tried drilling one, was PIA without drill press. Tap at hard angle with chisel. Put some duct tape around to protect chrome for when you slip.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
Same here. I thought I was the only one . My factory shop manual says 84-108 inch pounds, though. I use blue loctite also. When I change the oil I get the engine HOT first. At least a 30 minute ride, not idling in the driveway for 5 minutes.
I use anti seize, but loctite can help with corrosion.

Keep in mind you have to back down the torq value when using a lube.

I just snug. Not like it is a big deal if they leak, never have. I do use a tq wrench for many things, just not that. You using one, runs the risk of stripping since you are using factory specs, without a lube.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zerk
I do use a tq wrench for many things, just not that. You using one, runs the risk of stripping since you are using factory specs, without a lube.

Bullshit.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,123 Likes on 3,659 Posts

Mine are still the same ones that came with the bike 12 years and no issues. I’ve never used loctite or anti seize, just hand tighten with my screw driver then a little more with my ratchet. I did it a few times with my torque wrench and it was about the same so I kept doing it this way. I am only on my 2nd cover gasket as well.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 07-26-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Guess I'm confused by all these unemployed mechanical and automotive engineers who know more about servicing a product than the original manufacturer. Loctite is designed to be used on bolts/nuts that are not intended to be removed (red for those never intended to be removed). Primary screws are part off regular servicing and as such will be removed regularly. The use of a good quality torque wrench will ensure the bolt/nut/screw has sufficient torque to stay in place and not strip out. When using a reference manual use the correct one. Haynes/Clymer/xxx don't count. Use the correct one. Using a torque spec from a 1969 Sportster may not be the same as a 2019 Softail. Correctly using the SM will help keep the backyard mechanic out of trouble but it does require carefully reading that procedure. Technical advice on a forum is worth what you paid for it.

I have owned the correct SM for every HD I've owned and will be getting one for the 19 Heritage soon.

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

No lube, no locktite, no anti seize, T27, torque to spec in manual, no problem.

It's my understanding that torx have more contact area than hex, so the head of the fastener can be shallower. Hex need more depth to make up for the lack of surface contact on the wrench, or so I have read.
Personally I've had more issues removing stubborn hex head fasteners than torx.

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chunker
Guess I'm confused by all these unemployed mechanical and automotive engineers who know more about servicing a product than the original manufacturer. Loctite is designed to be used on bolts/nuts that are not intended to be removed (red for those never intended to be removed). Primary screws are part off regular servicing and as such will be removed regularly. The use of a good quality torque wrench will ensure the bolt/nut/screw has sufficient torque to stay in place and not strip out. When using a reference manual use the correct one. Haynes/Clymer/xxx don't count. Use the correct one. Using a torque spec from a 1969 Sportster may not be the same as a 2019 Softail. Correctly using the SM will help keep the backyard mechanic out of trouble but it does require carefully reading that procedure. Technical advice on a forum is worth what you paid for it.

I have owned the correct SM for every HD I've owned and will be getting one for the 19 Heritage soon.

But......But, My daddy done told me that torque specs were not important, Just tighten it til it strips and then back it off 1/4 turn.

Quick Reply: Grrr, primary derby cover bolts