General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grrr, primary derby cover bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
They went to torx because it reduces assembly time at the factory.
How?

I have never had one strip...Ever! If they are torqued properly and you are using the right size bit they come right out.

The following 5 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
AJSHOVEL (07-26-2019), Crazy (07-25-2019), OldMike (07-24-2019), tar_snake (07-24-2019), Uncle G. (07-26-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 AM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

When I bought my street bob one of the screws had the head busted off. When I took the derby cover off the rest of it spun right out using my fingers.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Plain and simple - the guy who put them in put them in too tightly. They're designed to lock *without* loctite or any other stuff. It's why the *SERVICE MANUAL* says to only torque to 40-70 *INCH POUNDS*, or, let your one-year old kid turn the torx driver and done! People who have problems with these bolts like this are those who think they know better than the manual and the spec's it says to use. In the OP's case, the twit who had the bike before him screwed things up.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Plain and simple - the guy who put them in put them in too tightly. They're designed to lock *without* loctite or any other stuff. It's why the *SERVICE MANUAL* says to only torque to 40-70 *INCH POUNDS*, or, let your one-year old kid turn the torx driver and done! People who have problems with these bolts like this are those who think they know better than the manual and the spec's it says to use. In the OP's case, the twit who had the bike before him screwed things up.

Well you are partially correct. That twit, was me. I changed the oil last time. So I am certain I was the one guilty of overtightening them. No loctite here. But no anti-seize either. Honestly I would never have thought to use anti on these bolts. Spark plugs, exhaust bolts, sure. But on a cover like this. No.
Oh well from the sounds of it from others that have had this problem it is the head/washer that is seized and not the threads. Will look better with Chrome allen bolts anyway.
And I believe this time I will dig out the in/lb torgue

Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Death Valley Ultra
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm how many hundreds of phillips head screws have I drilled out since birth. In a weird way I enjoy it. I relish the moment the head breaks off onto the drill bit like a wedding ring. BTW I like Torx.

Last edited by Death Valley Ultra; 07-24-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: text
Old 07-25-2019, 04:33 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,320 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Death Valley Ultra
Hmmm how many hundreds of phillips head screws have I drilled out since birth. In a weird way I enjoy it. I relish the moment the head breaks off onto the drill bit like a wedding ring. BTW I like Torx.
Whats weird is the way you described it like a ring put a little smile on my face for some reason.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Do the derby cover holes go all the way through ? If so, screw a bolt in from the opposite side with red Lock-tite, and the attach the cover with chrome acorns and washer if needed. Now you have a steel bolt and nut that can be replaced if needed.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

A few whacks with a rubber mallet usually helps loosens them up a bit. And you have to go at it slow while putting pressure on your wrench until they break loose. I use a 1/4" ratchet so I can use my palm to apply pressure. A palm ratchet wrench would work well too.

The following users liked this post:
Death Valley Ultra (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,161 Likes on 6,705 Posts

My neighbor tightened his so much, and unevenly, that he actually warped the derby cover.
I got it off for him, but the cover wouldn't seal after that. Lucky for him, I had a spare I gave him. but I made sure I put it on.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
How?

I have never had one strip...Ever! If they are torqued properly and you are using the right size bit they come right out.
Happy to oblige:

https://www.assemblymag.com/articles...for-automation

Quick Reply: Grrr, primary derby cover bolts