General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake noise while practicing Slow Manuvers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Brake noise while practicing Slow Manuvers

Since first getting back on a bike, Cherry, after 40+ years, I found I had to do a lot of slow manuver practice. I was, IMHO, getting quite decent at the slow manuver drills with my Heritage. So, what did I do? I bought a much heavier bike in March, Big Sister, and now having to start over again learning to do slow manuvers. Big differences between the Heritage and the SGS is:, 1- Weight, 2-the Clutch...cable vs. hydraulic and 3-non-linked vs. linked brakes.

But here is my problem/question.

When I used the rear brakes on the Heritage while practicing, if I did not allow them to cool down in between drills I would expeience brake fade but no noise. Figured that out and how to deal with it, so all was good.

However, on the SGS, I have not experienced fade at all, but after a while I do get a rather loud noise (squeeky not grinding) from the brakes when draging the rear brakes while doing tight circles, figure eights, etc. Even though I know they are linked brakes, I thought that was only above 25 MPH. The noise seems to be coming from the front even though I'm not applying any front brake. But, I may be mistaken from where I hear the noise, as I'm hard of hearing and do not ride with my hearing aids in so I really can't tell for sure.

So, any ideas what is causing the noise when the brakes heat up?

And, should I be concerned about the noise or the reason for the noise doing any kind of damage?

Would it be prudent to consider installing better quality brake pucks over the OEM pucks?

Thanksin advance for your expert comments.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Correct that the linked brakes won’t be activated until over the certain speed. For the noise, mine will make noise also when using them lightly or dragging them like that for very long. Goes away as soon as I start riding and braking at normal speeds.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (07-10-2019)