General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trumpet horn kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 AM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Trumpet horn kit

You look at my bike, you can see its kinda styled like a 60s FLH. I always liked those Jubalee trumpet horns on the old ones. (Jubalee is the name of the company that made them). J&P had kits, but they were $150 and listed only for Evos. I didn't want to take a chance on not being able to fit an 88 Twin Cam for that much money. Then I saw an open box on Ebay for $50, and jumped on it.

It worked out real nice, with a couple of careful mods. The trumpet is mounted on a weird bolt that replaces one of the timing chest bolts. It has the threads for the timing chest, a hex section, and then a short thread where the horn goes. If you decide to do this, measure the threads for the timing chest against the original bolt. Mine were WAY too long, and tightening up that would have ruined my right case. I cut it off with a fine hacksaw and ground a nice bevel where the threads were buggered from cutting. Worked out great. The other end didn't really hold the trumpet all that well, but some rubber washers and a chrome one from Ace Hardware took care of that.

There's a plastic or rubber tube that runs from the end of the trumpet to the driver unit on the horn mount. The one in the kit is way too short. I got some rubber hose from an auto parts and cut it to fit. The hose is a tight fit between the cylinders, but that helps hold the trumpet and keeps it from bouncing around too much from vibration. Doesn't need a hose clamp, just a good tight fit.

It isn't much louder, if any, than the stocker, but folks do seem to notice it. I tried the driver off of one of those air horns with the beer-can compressor, and the driver off of a larger electric trumpet, but neither seemed to make much difference. I'd like a lower pitch, but that's a function of the overall length, and unless I make up some weird tubing loop, it is what it is.

Still, it makes an OK sound and helps complete the 60s look.

The following users liked this post:
SimonR (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,846 Likes on 616 Posts

Yup, looks good.