General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 AM
king1pin1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so got my new relay this morning and fitted the part but with no luck failing to connect to the starter. So went ahead and bridged the Green wire to the Black / red stripe wire behind the starter relay and that did the trick . Bike back to starting on the handlebars again .

Again thank you all very much for your help with my problem because without this help and viewing the detailed starting drawings posted I would have had no hope fixing the problem. So it looks like the security module is damaged but the green wire must carry live feed from the module ? .

Anyway its fixed and I was Thinking that when I leave the bike parked or stored that I will disconnect the battery anyway because Its always a worry that on return to the bike after a few hours that the battery if flat and wont start the bike.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:51 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I find this pretty amazing. You seem very knowledgeable about electrical systems based on the trouble shooting you've done...some of its been over my head...thats not hard...but then you some how did something as simple as hooking up a battery backwards? That wouldn't even be possible on either bike in my garage unless I had the wrong battery and the posts were reversed. Just thinking out loud.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 AM
king1pin1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes even more bizarre I was in my younger days ( from 20 to 30 ) Now 61 a trained motorcycle mechanic on Japanese bikes but things have moved on a lot since then with electronic gizmos making it very difficult to diagnose electrical problems. And being honest my eyes are not that good meaning that glasses are required for everything now . Everything on the Harley is Different , Even in my workshop with a vast amount of metric tools I find it problematic working on my Harley.
The bike has only done 20k and after reading various posts on this site I have just worked out that The Cam tensioners should perhaps be replaced and that is now causing me concern . Something else to worry about then . lol

Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by king1pin1
Ok so got my new relay this morning and fitted the part but with no luck failing to connect to the starter. So went ahead and bridged the Green wire to the Black / red stripe wire behind the starter relay and that did the trick . Bike back to starting on the handlebars again .

Again thank you all very much for your help with my problem because without this help and viewing the detailed starting drawings posted I would have had no hope fixing the problem. So it looks like the security module is damaged but the green wire must carry live feed from the module ? .

Anyway its fixed and I was Thinking that when I leave the bike parked or stored that I will disconnect the battery anyway because Its always a worry that on return to the bike after a few hours that the battery if flat and wont start the bike.
You didn't fix the problem you simply bypassed it.

The green wire is not connected to the TSSM. Reread my last post, I explained how the relay works.

Reading in my 2004 Electrical Diagnostic manual some TSSM need to be reconfigured after power disruption,

Last edited by Vernal; 07-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Well, y'all drive on the wrong side, so it ain't surprising you hooked the battery up backwards.
What I can't figure out is...how did you get the cables to reach; they are barely long enough to go to the CORRECT terminals.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by king1pin1

It's not really fixed.

You bypassed something. If it is not wired like it was built, it's not fixed. I would focus on what you are missing. I am not going to try and look at that oring on my phone.

Trouble shooting is not hard in theory. Where us voltage missing. It gets tough finding a spot to check. Also following the prints can be hard, ghey can be cluttered. Maybe make s copy or print pdf and use high lighters to follow it out.

I realize you are thinking it's running, why do I care. But you are missing some device or feature. 01s did not have safety interlocks, like clutch interlock, At least my carbed 01 does not. Bank angle sensor might not be noticed.

Last edited by Zerk; 07-06-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by dickey
Well, y'all drive on the wrong side, so it ain't surprising you hooked the battery up backwards.
What I can't figure out is...how did you get the cables to reach; they are barely long enough to go to the CORRECT terminals.
Interesting question. If he rotated battery the terminals would on other side . On my FLHs I could not get cables in place. Mine are side mounted. Lawn mower I could

Last edited by Zerk; 07-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Zerk
Banned

Can't delete.

Last edited by Zerk; 07-06-2019 at 08:55 PM.