General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey.......I hit a full grown cow

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey.......I hit a full grown cow

Well,

I just realized that this is 7-11-07 and 30 years ago today (yah I been drivin awhile) on 7-11-77 just at dark, I center-punched a full-grown black angus cow going about 60 MPH on a skinny two-laned state hwy. Good thing I was driving a semi......but it jacknifed and did some pretty good damage to the truck and trailer anyway...

before the dust settled I was standing out there in the road with the rest of the herdwaiting for it to catch on fire or whatever..........what? oh yah, nobody cares and it's off topic.....that's ok, I just saw the date and thought of it again........sorry......oh yah, it's a motorcycle story too, the LEO's said just the week before a kid was leaving a baseball game about a mile down the road and hit the same bunch and it did him in.....when they got there and rolled over the cow he hit, somebody had cut the brand out of it's hide.....the same guy owned all the land for about 20 miles down that road and the ocean was on the other side of the road but they couldn't prove a thing........so it goes..........

Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Default RE: Hey.......I hit a full grown cow

I could be wrong, but the way I understand it here in Texas, if you hit a cow on a Farm to Market road, you and your insurance companyare responsible for paying for the cow. The rancher is not liable for any damages to you our your vehicle.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Draggin S
I just realized that this is 7-11-07 and 30 years ago today (yah I been drivin awhile) on 7-11-77 just at dark, I center-punched a full-grown black angus cow going about 60 MPH on a skinny two-laned state hwy. Good thing I was driving a semi......but it jacknifed and did some pretty good damage to the truck and trailer anyway...

before the dust settled I was standing out there in the road with the rest of the herdwaiting for it to catch on fire or whatever..........what? oh yah, nobody cares and it's off topic.....that's ok, I just saw the date and thought of it again........sorry......oh yah, it's a motorcycle story too, the LEO's said just the week before a kid was leaving a baseball game about a mile down the road and hit the same bunch and it did him in.....when they got there and rolled over the cow he hit, somebody had cut the brand out of it's hide.....the same guy owned all the land for about 20 miles down that road and the ocean was on the other side of the road but they couldn't prove a thing........so it goes..........
Wow.
When I first read the title to this thread I thought Draggin had sucker-punched one of my ex-girlfriends. [sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Interesting story none-the-less.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Post picture of ex-girlfriend.
[/quote]

Wow.
When I first read the title to this thread I thought Draggin had sucker-punched one of my ex-girlfriends. [sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Interesting story none-the-less.

[/quote]

Old 07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

sounds pretty crazy to me...lol

Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Nona
Outstanding HDF Member

[:-]I know it's not to be funny, but dam that's kinda funny

Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,

I think it sorta depends on where you are in Texas.......some is open range and some isn't, I think it goes by the county or whatever.....some places are liable if the cows get out and in some you are liable if you hit the cow......sound like a reason to keep a good attorney in your back pocket...........they wanted to prosecute the owner of the cows but could never prove they were his.......

thousand of acres there with the Gulf of Mexico on the other side......the road is closed now and you have to drive up the beach.....Hwy 87 from Galveston to Sabine Pass........it ends now at the High Island turnoff......those cows caused a lot of damage to drivers on that road before they closed it, I guess the owner figured he didn't have to spend any money on fences when the cows could only go across the road to the beach and had nowhere else to go.........

Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

I didn't know cows could go 60!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Draggin S
Road Master

Well,
You gotta have a good aim when those little suckers get on the move..........I've heard of a herd......from all that I've heard..........

Quick Reply: Hey.......I hit a full grown cow