General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible sound at start up. Starter or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,350 Likes on 6,143 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
curious what you try and what fixes the problem. What doesn't make sense to me is how a new battery fixes this, even though i put a new battery in and it did fix it for me.

My thoughts are you would think this issue would not occur once the MC engine was warm and at the next gas station or stop. I would think the biggest draw on the battery would happen first thing in the morning when you go to start it (when its cold). I have never had that issue when its cold, only once the bike is warmed up. So what would that have to do with the battery? Like i said though, getting a new battery did fix this (although it does happen once in a great while still).
A weak battery will not have enough juice to turn the starter and motor over, which would allow the starter gear to slip. At least that's what I imagine would be happening. I think I will start with just replacing the battery since its due anyway. If that fixes it then great, if not I'll start looking at the starter.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:26 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Bubba I have the same problem on my 2010 Ultra Classic. A new battery didn't fix the problem. Bumping the starter is working so far though.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:30 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
curious what you try and what fixes the problem. What doesn't make sense to me is how a new battery fixes this, even though i put a new battery in and it did fix it for me.

My thoughts are you would think this issue would not occur once the MC engine was warm and at the next gas station or stop. I would think the biggest draw on the battery would happen first thing in the morning when you go to start it (when its cold). I have never had that issue when its cold, only once the bike is warmed up. So what would that have to do with the battery? Like i said though, getting a new battery did fix this (although it does happen once in a great while still).
Read my post #14. When your motor is hot, the waste gases in the CC will ignite more readily & kickback against the starter, which because of an old battery, ain't got the ***** to overcome this. Happened to me more times than I wanna count, 'cause I am usually too cheap to spring for a new battery until I really need it.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Bubba I have the same problem on my 2010 Ultra Classic. A new battery didn't fix the problem. Bumping the starter is working so far though.
I've been doing the bump the starter thing the last couple of days and so far it has worked. I'm going to order a new battery off Amazon and see what that does. If that don't cure it I guess its time to rebuild the starter.

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 416 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I've been doing the bump the starter thing the last couple of days and so far it has worked. I'm going to order a new battery off Amazon and see what that does. If that don't cure it I guess its time to rebuild the starter.
I just replaced the battery on my 4 year old TG It wasn't making horrible noises but was starting to drag and didn't sound good. I put a V-Twin battery with 500 cca. I hadn't realized the old battery was till I put the new one in. Try the battery, you need one anyway. If that doesn't help take the next step.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 5wheels
...Try the battery, you need one anyway. If that doesn't help take the next step.
My thoughts exactly. Hoping it cures the problem but if not oh well I was going to be buying a battery anyway right?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Like when I stop for gas and go to restart, it does it. If I let the bike sit, even for 5 or 10 minutes to cool a little it doesn't do in?
I really doubt the engine is cooling enough for an easy start in 10 minutes

If it is the orginal battery from 2009, sure go ahead replace for the hell of it. But it didn't charge itself just sitting there. Maybe decompressed on first attempt. On engine I modified before going to bigger starter, I would give a quick tap to starter to compress, I think it helped.

From your first thread I am not convinced battery. You could go for ride, and when you get home put meter on it. I believe it will be over 12.7 when you first turn it off. Wait 10 minites, put meter on it, see what it is and try to start.

What I find interesting is it starts 10 minutes later. I get a grind once in awhile on my other bike for last couple years. Sometimes after it has been charged, sometimes after not being rode much, sometimes, after being rode. Now might be battery, but it has been going on for atleast 2 years. Would think would have failed by now. Last week, after not a lot of riding it did it. I ordered starter clutch. Not positive it is that. But it has 60k on it so doesn't hurt. But hasn't done it since, so hope I install before it dies.

I get around 7 years out of batteries, but it is not hot here. Not sure where are at. I never use tenders to maintain. If your battery is old, doesn't hurt, but not 100% convinced.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Agreed, the battery is at least 7 years old, I maintain everyday in summer or winter on a battery tender which really extends the life of a battery. This year though I have noticed its slower to turn the motor over so I will be replacing it first.
r.
If sounds like turning over slower, than probably battery. That is a sound you can tell. 7 years is ready either way, though you can get longer. I put mine in lawn tractor after bike for a few years.

I get 7 and no tender. Once middle of winter, and night before 1st ride, so not stressing the battery. If you ride the bike shouldn't be an issue. I think about it a little in fall and spring when periods are stretched out. But if you do more than short rides not so bad. Though again could be stressing. Though for me so far so good.

Batteries have come a long way. I got two lead acid batteries that are 8 and 7 years old. Not sure if they really did anything to improve those, maybe charging systems are to credit. Look autos, you might get 8-10 years, if not in a hot climate.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

Any which way after 7 +/- tears a battery isn't a bad idea. But I think your grinding issue is the starter clutch. Had to do mine going into this season. Having to "bump" the starter is a pretty common tell tale that its on its way out from what I've heard. But mine didn't need bumping. It just plain went and the starter would stay engaged and make a serious racket. Starter motor is still working fine. The Starter clutch is the known weak link in the system. 25$ and an hours work and its good as new. Beats the hell out of 250-300 bucks and 45 minutes of work.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I had that problem with my 2011 Road Glide. I was told the starter clutch was going bad. I discovered if I turned off the main switch and waited a few seconds before powering it back up it started just fine.

Quick Reply: Horrible sound at start up. Starter or battery?