Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘05 Ultra stereo will not power on unless speaker rocker switch is off(topmost position)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ‘05 Ultra stereo will not power on unless speaker rocker switch is off(topmost position)

I have an odd issue with my factory stereo that I can’t figure out.
First, the stereo will not power on when the ignition switch is turned to ignition like it should, or when the bike is running.
Once the bike is started, or switch in position, the stereo won’t power on. Not just in standby, but completely off. You have to flip the speaker rocker switch to the topmost position. All speakers off, and bam! Stereo powers on. Once its on, you can flip the rocker switch and turn the speakers on.
The second issue is the display is scrambled. You can JUST BARELY make out the volume level but it’s nearly impossible to read the display. Other than that, everything functions as it should. It works perfectly, other than the scrambled display, and not powering on unless the speaker switch is off.

I have the upgraded fairing speakers, and one of the soldered leads were pulled off of the small PCB when disconnecting the speaker leads. I resoldered it, and the speaker works fine, but that is the only issue I can think of that might have something to do with the speaker rocker switch affecting the unit powering on. Like I said, it functions perfectly otherwise.

Any idea on what could cause this? The scrambled display and power issue may be two separate issues. I plan to bend the pins of the display and check their connection between the head unit and display panel, but I’m stumped on the powering on issue.

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
I plan to bend the pins of the display and check their connection between the head unit and display panel, but I’m stumped on the powering on issue.
Any help is much appriciated.
Hey Cook, I'll give this a try. I have the same HK radio you do.

A few years ago I had the fairing off. I noticed when the display is clicked into the head unit that it was not real tight. It had a little "rock back and forth" to it. I was thinking this is not good for consistent electrical contact, especially on a shaking Harley.

I figured out a way to keep the parts together. I have some of that tuff shipping tape with the little threads in it? I cut a bunch of short pieces and put them around the perimeter of the connection. When I was done there was no more rocking. I've had it installed a few years now and my intermittent problem never showed it's head again. Cook, If I was you, I would first try this and if you're lucky this might cure your problem.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Hey Cook, I'll give this a try. I have the same HK radio you do.

A few years ago I had the fairing off. I noticed when the display is clicked into the head unit that it was not real tight. It had a little "rock back and forth" to it. I was thinking this is not good for consistent electrical contact, especially on a shaking Harley.

I figured out a way to keep the parts together. I have some of that tuff shipping tape with the little threads in it? I cut a bunch of short pieces and put them around the perimeter of the connection. When I was done there was no more rocking. I've had it installed a few years now and my intermittent problem never showed it's head again. Cook, If I was you, I would first try this and if you're lucky this might cure your problem.
Yeah. There is a thread on here somewhere about a scrambled display being fixed by bending the pins and making better contact in the connector between the faceplate and the unit. I’m hoping that will fix the display issue. But I doubt it will make any difference on the radio not coming on unless the speaker rocker switch is off. That’s really weird. I can live with it if I have to, because I can get the radio to come on, however it’s just really odd and I would like to know the cause. If anything to satisfy my own curiousity.