General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019 | 03:45 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

It really depends on who you are as a person. I have taught riders on sportsters , 600cc metric bikes, even a road king. I think going through the MSF class before deciding on a bike is a great idea.

Old 06-11-2019 | 07:52 AM
MiniWolf

IMO you shouldn't be thinking about what bike to get at this point. Harley, Honda, or 250 Suzuki as a first bike isn't the question, At this stage, what matters most is your personal safety, regardless of what bike you think you want to ride. This means taking the MSF class or Harley Riders Edge(same thing). Then start shopping for bikes and don't just run out immediately and throw down a lot of money on a bike before taking test rides. You won't know if you really will enjoy riding a particular bike until you try it. Harley's are not cheap and there is a reason that the used bike section at HD dealers have lot of very low mileage bikes sitting on the floor. Take your time through the process. Bikes will always still be there and aren't going away.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
MajorKG (06-11-2019), mctraveler (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019 | 08:11 AM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
IMO you shouldn't be thinking about what bike to get at this point. Harley, Honda, or 250 Suzuki as a first bike isn't the question, At this stage, what matters most is your personal safety, regardless of what bike you think you want to ride. This means taking the MSF class or Harley Riders Edge(same thing). Then start shopping for bikes and don't just run out immediately and throw down a lot of money on a bike before taking test rides. You won't know if you really will enjoy riding a particular bike until you try it. Harley's are not cheap and there is a reason that the used bike section at HD dealers have lot of very low mileage bikes sitting on the floor. Take your time through the process. Bikes will always still be there and aren't going away.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, I took the MSF and then took the Harley Riders Academy Class, the Harley class was better all the way around for me (Opinion only) and they allowed us to try the bikes after we were done to see which one worked for us.

Old 06-11-2019 | 08:23 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I would agree with all the above. You should have some decent experience on a bike before you plop down several thousands of dollars for a heavy old pig!! Definitely take an MSF course. Get some time under your belt. Do some looking and talk to local riders. Take your time and don't get the urge and buy the first thing you see.
Get a factory manual for your bike of choice. A parts manual is a useful tool as well. Get a three ring binder and record all the maintenance, repairs, add-ons, accessories, and "stuff" you do to your bike. I do this on every bike I've had. This gives you great reference and shows your attention to service. Also get a fuel mileage app for your cell phone. I use Simply Auto. I know how large my tank is, I know my fuel mileage, and how far I can go on a tank. I reset the odometer at each fill up and use that as my fuel gage. If your bike has a fuel gage, don't trust it! If you don't have a fuel gage, this becomes uber important.... I get 200 miles on a tank on around town riding. 240-250 on trips.
Above all learn your bike, learn your skills. Understand that you are always in a learning mode. After 50 years of riding, I still learn something new!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-11-2019 | 07:53 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

I am a believer in starting small and really learning how to really ride before buying an 800 lb Harley.

Five years ago I had never ridden a motorcycle. I had a vague fantasy / dream of riding a motorcycle around the country, seeing the national parks and various sites by bike. I looked at several bikes and honestly was a little intimidated by many of the larger touring types. I took the MSF and bought a Ninja 250 and V-Star 250 and rode for a full year before upgrading. I took a bit of ribbing while riding the little bikes but I learned a lot and made some mistakes that would have been a lot more expensive on a bigger bike.

I am now on a Road King and have been on it in 20 states, planning on adding a few more this year.

Old 06-12-2019 | 07:44 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

I concur with most of the advise given, take the class before you start shopping. Do rent or test ride before you make a decision on the one that is right for you.

Old 06-12-2019 | 09:15 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Matt, you don't have to go 250 cc or 400. My 1st one was a Suzuki Intruder 800, and I outgrew it in about 6 weeks, once I got some confidence. (Notice I said Confidence, and not Experience!) You can get good experience on a bigger bike, like a Yamaha V Star 1100 or 1300, but if you wanna go Harley, I bet you'll be just fine on a FatBoy or Heritage Softtail. The day before my safety course (never ridden) I got on my nephew's Yamaha RoadStar. THAT was a big bike for a first timer, but I had no problem on his buddy's FatBoy. That was 15 years ago. I'm on my 3rd Ultra now. Give it a couple years on "smaller" bikes, and then you'll know what to do on a big bike. A used V star 1100 will be a real inexpensive way to get that confidence. It goes exactly like a Harley!

Old 06-12-2019 | 09:23 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf

^^^this^^^...take the MSF class and get your MC license... THEN start looking at what kind of scooter you want.

Old 06-12-2019 | 10:25 AM
Samjs
3rd Gear

I had not ridden since I was a kid. Waited for kids to get older and bought a Road King. I don't feel its to big for me. I am 5'11 200 pounds and some what athletic. Each person is different. Touring bikes are better on the open road and a little tougher to maneuver in the city. Make your decision based on what you feel comfortable with and what style of riding you plan to use it for.