General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley davidson smart security system

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 PM
jmontre
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harley davidson smart security system

I just had Harley put on my alarm. There is a constant red light on the panel while riding. The dealership said that it needs to charge the internal battery? I didn't know that there was a internal battery. Is this really what happens? Will the light ever go off while riding?

Last edited by jmontre; 06-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

Did you already have the security system, and had the siren added? Or complete new system with the siren too?
I already had the factory security, and then I added the siren. The siren is the only thing I’m aware of that has a rechargeable battery in it. The siren did sound puny until that battery got charged up (one decent ride did it)... but I do not remember any light being on at all while it got charged up.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM
copaup
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmontre
I just had Harley put on my alarm. There is a constant red light on the panel while riding. The dealership said that it needs to charge the internal battery? I didn't know that there was a internal battery. Is this really what happens? Will the light ever go off while riding?
Check your lights. I had the constant red light and it turned out to be that I had managed to assemble the right control housing wrong and the brake light was stuck on. Same thing will happen if a bulb is out. It could be any variety of trouble codes, but lights are a common cause. The light should not be on all the time.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

That’s a good thing to check, for codes and see what up with them if you do have any... I believe if you have certain DTC codes that light will stay on too. Check for codes and clear them. See if your light goes away after checking and clearing any codes. Maybe they did something during the install that caused it to kick a code???

Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM
jmontre
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Did you already have the security system, and had the siren added? Or complete new system with the siren too?
I already had the factory security, and then I added the siren. The siren is the only thing I’m aware of that has a rechargeable battery in it. The siren did sound puny until that battery got charged up (one decent ride did it)... but I do not remember any light being on at all while it got charged up.
No. I do not have an alarm. It is brand new with out the siren. I called harley and they said sometimes the faub needs to have a new battery. I bought one and the light is still on.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,766 Likes on 1,971 Posts

You will have a red light flash every few seconds when your bike not running showing that the alarm is set and ready. When you approach with a fob the red light will stop flashing.

If your light came on while riding after the dealer installed the alarm. With the fob present, turn ignition to on but do not start, pull off left side cover, pull fuse, disconnect alarm wire and then reconnect everything back up. If the light is still steady on, and you know it's not something else, the alarm has a built in rechargeable battery and it could be bad.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

You have a code because the red light stays on, pull your codes to see what the problem is.

If you added the security siren it has a 9v rechargeable battery in the siren but it should be new and charged if it was just installed.

If it was your fob battery the bike would not start and you could not tell if the red light was on

Last edited by K Melancon; 06-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,789 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by jmontre
If you paid a dealer to install the security system, take the bike back to the dealer, and have them correct it. The light should not be on while riding.

FWIW, if you had the optional siren, and the 9V rechargeable battery was low, the siren would sound with three chirps, instead of two when arming. The red light has nothing to do with the state of the siren battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by barneyboy:
fxdup (06-07-2019), hbsoldier3 (06-07-2019)