General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My barn find 1978 Iron Head Sportster won't start. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:01 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,329 Likes on 1,454 Posts

If you don't have a volt meter, an "icepick" type circuit tester will work if the battery is charged. Don't you have a Harley Davidson or Clymer Service Manual? Did you put some Marvel Mystery Oil or some type of penetrating oil in the cylinders? Did you try to move the bike in gear to see if it's seized? Did you follow any advice given in the original thread? Did you even pull the plugs to see what they look like, and if they're rusted?
You bought a bike that requires a lot of maintenance, so get used to dickin' around with it..

Last edited by RK4ME; 05-27-2019 at 12:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RK4ME:
Sorce (05-27-2019), tar_snake (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

sma deleted

Last edited by kickstartfan; 05-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gearhead88 (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:04 AM
kewlthing
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
If you don't have a volt meter, an "icepick" type circuit tester will work if the battery is charged. Don't you have a Harley Davidson or Clymer Service Manual? Did you put some Marvel Mystery Oil or some type of penetrating oil in the cylinders? Did you try to move the bike in gear to see if it's seized? Did you follow any advice given in the original thread? Did you even pull the plugs to see what they look like, and if they're rusted?
You bought a bike that requires a lot of maintenance, so get used to dickin' around with it..
Well, I put penetrating fluid down the cylinders for a few days (with a small shot of 20w50 down both cylinders later too), then took the plugs out and then pushed the bike down the lane. I could hear the pistons going up and down so therefore it is not seized. I lubed the chain and lubed the cables. Got a new ignition switch and brand new battery. I'm chipping away at the issues but I really need to get the electrical problem solved before I proceed.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM
Sorce
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I'll bet $10 no cables, ground contact points or any electrical connections have been checked & cleaned, something arced and lost contact when he tried to load it up.
Reckon you can bet more than that!

Sounds like this bike is getting done like that stuffed animal!

OP...why not answer valid questions?

Guess I'll leave put the Taiwanese Ladyboy joke for now....but.....

If I were a 78 sportster I'd reject a Foreign Ignition too!

Sorce

nytryder (06-05-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,078 Likes on 17,942 Posts

People tend to ignore what they don't understand on motorcycles and avoiding anything electrical is a big one for most, been working on these thing for others since the 70's and and you see common trends. Counter intuitive but grounding points corrode far quicker and more often than most realize, newer regularly ridden bikes suffer from this issue all the time, many many threads in here on loose or failing grounds. Bikes that been sitting for that long it's a guarantee you need to clean all the ground points, pull & flex the battery cables & ends or outright replace them, pop all snap connectors, spray a little WD and work them a few times to clean contact points as the surfaces build up a corrosion coat that allows just enough contact to show you have power but not enough to take a load when applied, they arc and burn off in an instant and now you are chasing gremlins.

The following 4 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
DanHappy (05-28-2019), nytryder (06-05-2019), Sorce (05-30-2019), tar_snake (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,192 Likes on 6,718 Posts

Flip the kill switch back to "ON"

Sorce (05-30-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:17 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Because the bike was "customized" by the PO's husband, I would look for a fuse holder hidden somewhere. Trace out the wiring from the positive lead to the ignition. Hopefully you have a meter to check voltage at various points - do you have 12 (ish) volts at the ignition? One side should be always hot and the other should go on and off with the key. As mentioned - is the kill switch on? I've had those brain fart moments when it was something just that simple.

Next I would make sure I have a solid ground. As mentioned by TB, oxidation and/or loose connections can be revealed by an attempt to start the bike. Start at the negative terminal and make sure you are grounded to the frame.

I will say this - this should be an easy one to find. You went from fully functional to non-functional. It will be obvious.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 AM
kewlthing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Flip the kill switch back to "ON"

Once I again I'll make the point. The bike has no power at all. The kill switch has nothing to do with that. The kill switch will kill the engine, not the electrics. I can't
even get to a point to use the kill switch. And by the way, that's the first thing I checked, and it is set to "run". (Thanks for the suggestion too though).

Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM
kewlthing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevada72
Because the bike was "customized" by the PO's husband, I would look for a fuse holder hidden somewhere. Trace out the wiring from the positive lead to the ignition. Hopefully you have a meter to check voltage at various points - do you have 12 (ish) volts at the ignition? One side should be always hot and the other should go on and off with the key. As mentioned - is the kill switch on? I've had those brain fart moments when it was something just that simple.

Next I would make sure I have a solid ground. As mentioned by TB, oxidation and/or loose connections can be revealed by an attempt to start the bike. Start at the negative terminal and make sure you are grounded to the frame.

I will say this - this should be an easy one to find. You went from fully functional to non-functional. It will be obvious.
Your suggestions make perfect sense. I do have meters and testers so I will get on chipping away at
connections to ensure good contact.

TwiZted Biker (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlthing
Your suggestions make perfect sense. I do have meters and testers so I will get on chipping away at
connections to ensure good contact.
Let us know how it goes. You have my curiosity up.

Quick Reply: My barn find 1978 Iron Head Sportster won't start. Need advice.