General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My barn find 1978 Iron Head Sportster won't start. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 06:35 PM
kewlthing
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
don't have rooster in this cockfight..
Just curious if your reason for buying the bike was to clean it up and flip it?
(not a thing wrong with that BTW)
just curious is all

..L.T.A.
There was no real motive. It was flexible. I wanted to rescue that bike because it was unique. Everyone dreams of finding a barn find like that so it was difficult to turn down. I was perfectly willing to keep it but just before I parked it for the winter I thought well before I go through everything to prep it for the winter I'll advertise it for a bit of an outrageous price and see what happens. Well to my surprise I got a bite. We played phone tag for a few weeks and I thought at that point well this guy is just leading me on and fully expected the deal to fall through. One day I got the call that he wanted the bike and that he was going to pay me cash. He was one Province over so we had to solve that transport problem. I sent him a video of the bike being started and running and he liked what he saw. I agreed to meet him halfway then. We met on the highway at a gas station and transferred it over to him. He couldn't have been happier and me too because I certainly don;t want to rip anyone off. He was going to do some mods to it over the winter. He sent me a pic of the mods he did and it looks fine. And that's that.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:37 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,533 Likes on 6,622 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlthing
There was no real motive. It was flexible. I wanted to rescue that bike because it was unique. Everyone dreams of finding a barn find like that so it was difficult to turn down. I was perfectly willing to keep it but just before I parked it for the winter I thought well before I go through everything to prep it for the winter I'll advertise it for a bit of an outrageous price and see what happens. Well to my surprise I got a bite. We played phone tag for a few weeks and I thought at that point well this guy is just leading me on and fully expected the deal to fall through. One day I got the call that he wanted the bike and that he was going to pay me cash. He was one Province over so we had to solve that transport problem. I sent him a video of the bike being started and running and he liked what he saw. I agreed to meet him halfway then. We met on the highway at a gas station and transferred it over to him. He couldn't have been happier and me too because I certainly don;t want to rip anyone off. He was going to do some mods to it over the winter. He sent me a pic of the mods he did and it looks fine. And that's that.
Don't know how in the hell I missed this thread!!!

Anyway, why in the hell are you telling all the guys that tried to help you all of these details, when you told them f***k you multiple times?

At this point I really don't think anyone of them gives a ****.....

The following 3 users liked this post by LoneBone:
DanHappy (04-02-2020), nevada72 (04-02-2020), QNman (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't know you and I don't want to ****ing know you, but I can almost guarantee that I have been riding longer than you and have had more bikes than you. I just needed some minor advice and that's it I don't need my intelligence, common sense, judgement, or personality attacked. Every problem that everyone said would happen never did happen. Maybe all you ****ers aren't as smart as you think you are. Some understood my plight and were kind about it but the rest of you just didn't get it. I got the last laugh you mother****ers!
Just curious, how many miles did you put on bike?

Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

OP, you missed an opportunity to get to know two of the best members on here. They tried to help you several times and you ignored them, which would be fine if you explained why. They were polite at first, and then got a little frustrated when you got bitchy. This is a community, and most new guys have enough sense to observe the room a little, and learn who's who, before shooting their mouth off.

If you ever buy a Harley again, try again, but be a gentleman when you start out. After you get some credibility, you can be an *******.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron750:
BelchFire (04-03-2020), DanHappy (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

glad i stumbled on this thread. this thread is why i dont or try NOT to give information on bikes or cars. all the years i turned wrenches i would have to teach young guys, and i would tell them at the gitgo if i try and say something to you, and you tell me you know, then go do it yourself why ask me if you know. i would stop teaching at that point. Twizted you hung in there more than i would have. some people you just cant tell anything

The following 2 users liked this post by IBE:
DanHappy (04-03-2020), Ron750 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Did you sell the old oil as lightly used?

The following users liked this post:
blap (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:39 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

OP, hang around. It's just how these guys are on here. Gotta have thick skin as they all mean well. If anything, most questions have already been answered somewhere in the past on here.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:22 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Not sure you'll see this, but I just finished going thru this mess. Glad you got it running. Glad someone has it and hopefully will enjoy it. I can understand the frustration on both sides of this, but forget about that. What I want to know is exactly what you did to get power from the battery to the ignition switch, etc. Either I missed it or you failed to say. Mostly asking because I saw the pics with the blue wire connected to the battery ground and that had me going, "Huh?"

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:42 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

I don't know you and I don't want to ****ing know you, but I can almost guarantee that I have been riding longer than you and have had more bikes than you. I just needed some minor advice and that's it I don't need my intelligence, common sense, judgement, or personality attacked. Every problem that everyone said would happen never did happen. Maybe all you ****ers aren't as smart as you think you are. Some understood my plight and were kind about it but the rest of you just didn't get it. I got the last laugh you mother****ers!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:27 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,533 Likes on 6,622 Posts

Man, watching that Snowflake meltdown never gets old.....

The following 3 users liked this post by LoneBone:
DanHappy (04-03-2020), nevada72 (04-03-2020), QNman (04-03-2020)