General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My barn find 1978 Iron Head Sportster won't start. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,078 Likes on 17,942 Posts

Originally Posted by kewlthing
I have some friends that have some vintage Japanese bikes and they alerted me to the lack of zinc in modern oil. An on-line search for the preferred oil for this type of iron head proved to be very controversial. There seems to be no consensus on that. I have elected to go with Kendall GT-1 20w50 with zinc. I'm sure I will get lambasted for that choice but the reason I chose it made sense with what I read on-line. As for gas, I will run Shell V-Nitro 91 octane with no ethanol.
Got all the zinc you could possibly want in an oil product and that bike will like it much better than multi weights like 20-50, why not use what the factory recommended in the manual ?

Valvoline 50wt ,read up on it ....

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-05-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 PM
kewlthing
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Got all the zinc you could possibly want in an oil product and that bike will like it much better than multi weights like 20-50, why not use what the factory recommended in the manual ?

Valvoline 50wt ,read up on it ....
My understanding is the Kendall GT-1 multigrade oil with zinc (for example) is a race oil that withstands hotter temperatures and a greater variety of weather temperatures. Iron heads supposedly run cooler though than let's says Evo's. I live in Canada where cooler temperatures are the norm, so a multi grade is better suited to our temps than if I was in Arizona for example. Modern oil (with zinc) are allegedly far superior than the old school single grade oils. As I have mentioned this is a very controversial topic and is endlessly debatable.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Alrighty then, enjoy the bike my friend.

The following 4 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
AJSHOVEL (06-06-2019), martinj (06-06-2019), not_so_newb (06-07-2019), Ron750 (04-02-2020)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,138 Likes on 4,353 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Alrighty then, enjoy the bike my friend.
That's all you can tell a fellow who knows everything!

Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,138 Likes on 4,353 Posts

The bike has the original tires on it. Those have to go. Severe dry rot on those. Any advice on tires for that bike?
Avon Roadrunners.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Once again, TwiZted Biker is trying to give you good advice on the engine oil and you are going another route. A bunch of Gents here in the forums rode Ironheads for years but what do we know. Valvoline 50W was all I ran in mine.....for the 7 years I owned it. There were a few exceptions, when I was in the deep south, I ran 60W.

But you know more than we do, go ahead with that 20W50 <sarcasm>

The following users liked this post:
Ron750 (04-02-2020)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,164 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Just checking in on this **** show and I see it has turned into an oil thread.

Originally Posted by DonnieM
OK, so you didn't tell us why it did not have power? Inquisitive minds want to know..........
Exactly why I bailed. From the feedback it was plain to see the OP only wants what he wants and doesn't care enough to post up the results after receiving valuable advice/information. Or even care enough about the bike to do something as simple as changing the ancient oil before riding it. Compulsive need for instant gratification combined with being self absorbed does not make me want to help.

Just keep doing it your way "Kewlthing". I'm sure it will all work out.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 AM
kewlthing
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
Once again, TwiZted Biker is trying to give you good advice on the engine oil and you are going another route. A bunch of Gents here in the forums rode Ironheads for years but what do we know. Valvoline 50W was all I ran in mine.....for the 7 years I owned it. There were a few exceptions, when I was in the deep south, I ran 60W.

But you know more than we do, go ahead with that 20W50 <sarcasm>
Ok, I will re-consider the 50w then. Spare me the sarcasm though.

The following 2 users liked this post by kewlthing:
bentparts (04-02-2020), Sorce (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Lighten up, Francis! In post #89 you asked for "some advice and some guidance "

Some of the best Harley Mechanics and Bikers I have met are known to be salty, egotistical and sarcastic. But they are because they know what they are doing and there is something to be learned from them.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Well some of the posts were a little more critical of me than they should have been. I don't know where this line of thought about me not listening came about. I am listening intently and am for the most part following the advice. The problem is there is too much advice and a lot of it contradicts some of the other advice I was given. I've been biking since 1978 and owned many bikes that were British, Japanese, and American. This bike is a little unique though and I just need some advice and some guidance but I am mechanically inclined and can do things with this bike to a certain degree. Sometimes I cross a line into uncharted waters though and I just need some simple advice to steer me on where to go.

Dude I'll be blunt here, you are cherry picking what you want to hear and going your own merry way regardless of sound advice given by professional bike mechanics that have been doing exactly this type of work since the 70's ourselves. What the blue f**k would a bunch of import riders know about old harley's ? Two very different animals with very different maintenance and care requirements, the lines do not cross up very well in this case.

Ment what I said please do enjoy the bike but I'm a spectator in here from now on, you are going to do exactly what you want so just post up the results as this goes on and quit asking for guidance you have no intentions of remotely listening to even over something as bone simple as correct oil for a 60's era machine, you got your ricer buddies for that.

The following 6 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
InnishMoor (04-02-2020), martinj (06-06-2019), nevada72 (06-06-2019), not_so_newb (06-07-2019), nytryder (06-08-2019), SPRINGER (06-08-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: My barn find 1978 Iron Head Sportster won't start. Need advice.