General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 PM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

I also like the V-Rods very much.
Price is already rock-bottom on those.

JM

Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

I find all you guys that keep bringing up the Diavel hilarious....

1. Base model Diavel is 20 grand...XDiavel is even more than that...XDiavel S is like 27k. So your argument over price is pretty moot
2. All you touting the Ducati...have you EVER owned a Ducati??? THere are "MAYBE" 10 percent as many Ducati dealers as Harley dealers here in the US. So you may be lucky enough to have one in your town
3. Look up the reliability on a Ducati....I own one...I can tell you that if you thought a Harley was expensive to work on, you havent even begun to understand...
4. Oh you are going to work on it yourself...ummm you better be careful, as pretty much all the parts (including aftermarket) come from overseas, are outrageously expensive, and are usually on a waiting list to get, AND you pay a LOT in shipping for them.
5. Even the Ducati dealers usually have inept mechanics...I wouldnt let ANY of the 3 dealers within 100 miles of Raleigh even touch my bike
6. Many things, you have ZERO choice but to take to the dealer, as they are the only ones that can get into your ECU...and the services are EXPENSIVE...as in 1200 dollars for your 7k service. You need to have valves checked and adjusted at 15k and this is a 2200 dollar service....they aren't called the Ferrari of motorcycles for nothing, its because the cost to maintain them is about the same.
7. Before you buy one you need to look up the issues they are having...they have belt issues, rocks get caught in the belt and its NOT covered under warranty, cost to replace...850 dollars...
8. If you want to customize it, not only is anything unique extremely hard to find, but its MASSIVELY expensive...the Termi Exhaust (thats the performance division of Ducati, think of it as Screaming Eagle is to Harley) is 5 THOUSAND Dollars....

As far as those mentioning the Indian FXR...those mentioning it havent even sat on one yet...its more a duel sport more than a Cruiser...it sits like a dirt bike. It is NOTHING like an FXDR or a Diavel. TOTALLY different type of bike.

All of these threads where people bash the FXDR, 95% of the people bashing it havent even sat on it, and it shows from their comments. And the bikes that they suggest to get instead, well it doesnt seem like they have ever ridden any of them either, they just look at the stat sheet and start spewing about how much better that bike is....typical bashing, almost like when metric riders attempt to bash Harley in general. I have researched and ridden a number of Diavels, XDiavels, did a demo ride this weekend of the FTR, and have been on a few FXDR's now. I want to check out the older CVO ProStreet Breakout and the Lowrider S before I decide what my next bike will be, as I want a low, beefy power cruiser to bar hop on...aside from my Ducati and Streetglide. Its nowhere near as easy a choice as some of you think...

The following 5 users liked this post by RedRider0151:
danhahn (05-28-2019), JekyllnHyde (05-28-2019), Maccam26 (06-14-2019), rubberfrog (05-28-2019), tar_snake (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
Out for a ride, stopped in for a burger & beer. Started reading emails while waiting. Got 1 from Ducati as I like the Diavel. Well they have a new one:

the engine produces 157 hp at 9,250 rpm, developing 95 ft lbs of torque. The engine pushes the surprisingly lithe Diavel (carrying a wet weight of 538 pounds) with aplomb”

For less the price of Harley’s “performance” model, I’ll take one of these.

Sorry but Harley is out of their minds with the pricing and advertising of the FXDR. I hope they do better with future models.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/robbrep...s-2852199/amp/

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...orcycle-review
Look at where in the powerband those bikes make that torque and HP.

The FXDR makes 119 ft lbs of torque at 3,500 RPM. The Diavel makes 95 ft lbs of torque at 7,500 RPM. That torque down low is much more usable on the street in everyday driving.

The following 3 users liked this post by VAFish:
bigal51 (05-31-2019), danhahn (05-28-2019), tar_snake (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:11 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
The sad part is that the FXDR is a replacement for the V-Rod. Having owned a Night Rod and Muscle, and having done a long-term FXDR test-ride, I can tell you one thing - no. Not even close.
Could you expand on that please?

I have test ridden a V-Rod Muscle and a FXDR. Put maybe 20 miles on each. And those rides were a year apart. My thoughts on it are the FXDR is simply a slower V-Rod. Handled about the same to me. I will say, I liked both of them more than I thought I would. But not enough to buy one. Well....maybe a VRSCR.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:31 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,754 Likes on 18,488 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Look at where in the powerband those bikes make that torque and HP.

The FXDR makes 119 ft lbs of torque at 3,500 RPM. The Diavel makes 95 ft lbs of torque at 7,500 RPM. That torque down low is much more usable on the street in everyday driving.
I do agree with that. How much of the torque is used to make up for the porkier (pun intended) FXDR? It weighs 130lbs more. 668lb for FXDR , 538lb for the Diavel 1260 S. Don't forget the Ducati comes with cruise control, ABS plus "cornering" abs that is used on race bikes, 8 degrees more lean angle & different ride modes that also allow you to dial back the safeties. How much would it be to add that to the FXDR?

To another poster I did test out the 2016 Diavel when I bought my Softail Slim S. It was fast, actually too fast. The lack of dealership support & price put it out of the running for me. Now the 2019 FXDR is in line with a 2019 Diavel (not x) $20,395 base and $22,995 for the S.

I couldn't wait for the FXDR. Finally something made by Harley that can compete. I didn't know they would only win in highest price vs performance.

If I were to seriously to look now It wouldn't be the FXDR which is too expensive for what it is. I'd be comparing the 114 Fat Bob to the 2019 V-max & 2019 Diavel 1260 S. The Fat Bob 114 is a good bargain in relation to performance in the Harley line up.

I blame Harley's marketing group and price setting that matched the hype for setting the bar high for what they were bringing from the factory.

Last edited by Walter White; 05-28-2019 at 03:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walter White:
Campy Roadie (05-28-2019), DuciDay (11-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
Maybe I'm demonstrating some kind of ignorance here but the FXDR looks kinda like the same sort of bike as the FTR1200. And if I was in the market for that kind of bike, at 2/3 the price and 1.5 times the horsepower it's kind of a no brainer which is the better choice. The FTR has enough horsepower that they actually publish the number!

I test rode one of these this weekend. 125 HP 500 LBS. And a lot cheaper. An amazing machine. I put more miles on the back tire than the front.

The following 4 users liked this post by JONNIEROCK:
Jneufeld83 (06-01-2019), polbit (05-28-2019), soldierbot (05-28-2019), Walter White (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by GomezAddaams
pretty nice mod

FXDR 117
I agree, it's a sweet ride. But after all of the trouble and expense, it STILL has forward controls. Sort of like putting a spoiler and coffee can muffler on a Honda Civic and calling it a "performance car". But that's just MHO.

The following 2 users liked this post by shorelasHD:
Campy Roadie (05-28-2019), Walter White (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:10 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,755 Likes on 3,113 Posts

The Ducati Diavel is their cruiser.

Ducati makes other models that are mre "sport" focused.

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
DuciDay (11-29-2019), Walter White (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Could you expand on that please?

I have test ridden a V-Rod Muscle and a FXDR. Put maybe 20 miles on each. And those rides were a year apart. My thoughts on it are the FXDR is simply a slower V-Rod. Handled about the same to me. I will say, I liked both of them more than I thought I would. But not enough to buy one. Well....maybe a VRSCR.
To me, V-Rod is/was all about power and style. Revo engine has 125Hp, and an 8k+ rev limit. It loves to rev, and is an absolute hoot to ride hard. Since it doesn't have some crazy 200Hp, it's also very easy to ride it hard. WOT all the time? Sure. Power slides out of every corner? Why not.

FXDR has more torque, and around town it's fine, but the stock M8 just doesn't fit the hooligan muscle cruiser personality. It runs out of steam much sooner and is significantly slower. Looks are subjective of course, but I think most people find the FXDR to be more polarizing and not as attractive as the V-Rod.

Handling-wise, that 240mm tire is the limiting factor and generally they are comparable.

The following 2 users liked this post by polbit:
nevada72 (05-28-2019), Walter White (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:30 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
Although I agree, it's not the point. Harley Davidson is advertising and pricing the FXDR as one of the best "performance" cruisers made. Heck even the Indian FTR 1200s would smoke it (with the same skill level of rider) and cost thousands less.

Yes the Diavel is fugly but they provide cutting edge race track level performance and parts that you can ride all day for less than the MSRP of a FXDR. Some Harley Dealers actually want sticker bump for it. Then the buyer turns around and pays the HD dealer thousands to make the FXDR a little less fugly.
All made up for the first time you have to take it to the dealer to get some tiny little thing fixed because there's no such thing as aftermarket for it or indies who can do it for half the price the dealership does or more still that you may end up waiting two weeks for for that tiny little part. Yeah, what fun not to be able to work on ones own bike or having to wait such gawd-awful times etc. Thing is, even the Harley's are 'getting there' to the point one can't hardly work on it themselves, but this is being done on purpose just like it's been done to the automobile industry. The dealers/auto makers are tired of losing out on that extra penny they could have that some 'damned backyard mechanic' stole from their pocket!

Personally, gimme my old bike that will get me there 5 minutes slower than that moronicly stupid and fugly ultra-fast-leaves-your-skin-behind crotch rocket, that I can work on all I want to, on any part of it, and still get parts for quite easily without much wait at all, as I laugh and turn my back at the dumbshits who think us 'old farts' are the ones 'lost'.

The following 4 users liked this post by tar_snake:
Greezey Rider (05-28-2019), nevada72 (05-28-2019), Uncle G. (05-28-2019), Walter White (05-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike