General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:43 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
looks goog Gomez
Thanks. There is a seperate thread about it, a lot more work to do, just at a planning stage right now.

I'll post pics of the bags the other way. I like em like this but who knows the other way may grow in me.

More to follow..

Old 06-02-2019, 08:55 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by GomezAddaams
Thanks. There is a seperate thread about it, a lot more work to do, just at a planning stage right now.

I'll post pics of the bags the other way. I like em like this but who knows the other way may grow in me.

More to follow..
I'm glad you were able to interpret my early morning typos.

The following users liked this post:
GomezAddaams (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,196 Likes on 7,371 Posts

I rode the FXDR up in York at the last open house and was not impressed at all. The look, quality, performance, handling and rider position all left me asking why they even built it.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm glad you were able to interpret my early morning typos.
😊
As for the rear fender everyone is deleting... Well I did something with that as well...

Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I rode the FXDR up in York at the last open house and was not impressed at all. The look, quality, performance, handling and rider position all left me asking why they even built it.
Because I called them a year ago and asked if they would make this bike for me... A personal favor. 😉

Old 06-02-2019, 09:24 PM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

HMMM....
Never ridden a bagger or touring bike.

Can't stand to look at them. Fugliest motorcycle of all (IMO)

At 1000 pounds they must really handle well???

The threads on "do I need fangs, lowers, or a taller windscreen to stop the buffeting???
The ones with the (modern) fairing look like two different people "species" designed them.

Had 2 Softails, 2 Ducs, a Buell. Couple of metric standards way back when.
Didn't test drive any of the last bikes, or quads, or dirt bikes?

Would like to throw a leg over the FXDR.
Again wouldn't even consider riding a "touring" model for any reason.
Trolling a message board about a model I am not into........ brilliant.

Would buy without riding as I'm sure it would feel better than my 19 year old Deuce.

JM

Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser

Also something to think about, with the bungee bar accessory installed, there should be no reason you couldn't use any universal saddlebag system

(
Amazon Cortec Saddle Bags) Amazon Cortec Saddle Bags)

Old 06-03-2019, 05:37 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
The FXDR needs mid controls.
Mids are for twisties, forwards are for cruising. It's a muscle cruiser; despite reference to "performance" by the MoCo.

Originally Posted by Buster217
Maybe I'm demonstrating some kind of ignorance here but the FXDR looks kinda like the same sort of bike as the FTR1200. And if I was in the market for that kind of bike, at 2/3 the price and 1.5 times the horsepower it's kind of a no brainer which is the better choice. The FTR has enough horsepower that they actually publish the number!
But it's not a Harley.

Originally Posted by Walter White
If the FXDR was made by Honda instead Harley would you still pay over $23K plus dealer sticker bump and thousands more to make it look less fugly?
Of course not, because it's not a Harley.

The H-D MoCo has milked the crap out of the aura, the mystique - the brand. All of a sudden - OK, maybe not so all of a sudden, those of us who see value (or at least pay value added pricing) in a motorcycle being a Harley Davidson started not riding, not buying new bikes or just stopped buying Harleys. So, H-D endeavors to seek out new and exciting market space but hold on, wait! That market space involves those who don't get the whole "value added pricing" thing of the H-D name on the tank. Now H-D has to compete with, you know, other motorcycles, other motorcycle specs, other motorcycle pricing. Oh my - what to do? What to do?

I never owned a Harley (and I've had a good bunch of them over many years) to be a 1%-er, a tough guy, a bad *** or to pick-up chicks. I genuinely liked (and kind of still do like) Harleys. But the things that kept me liking them have gone south such as a great dealer network and help on road trips if need be. Today's Harley Super Stores aren't the real motorcycle shops of days gone by - they see anyone walking through the door as a sheep to fleece. Whether it be a T-Shirt, a part, a service or a repair - all they care about is what they can skin you for and if you don't like - well suck it up 'cause this ain't your grand daddy's Harley Davidson dealership anymore. In fairness, dealerships are certainly entitled to make a profit and they need a lot of it after the MoCo forced expensive upgrades. Real Harley enthusiasts used to own dealerships - not auto franchise conglomerates own Harley dealerships - and it shows.

Back on point, the FXDR is a cool bike, very cool in fact - if you really want a Harley as evidenced by one's willingness to pay what they ask for an FXDR. As a muscle cruiser and as a Harley ... it's cool. If you see it as $21,349 cool - great; I don't judge but let's face it, if it didn't say Harley-Davisdon on it, would it sell for even 2/3rds the price?

Last edited by Jehu; 06-03-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 AM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jehu
Back on point, the FXDR is a cool bike, very cool in fact - if you really want a Harley as evidenced by one's willingness to pay what they ask for an FXDR. As a muscle cruiser and as a Harley ... it's cool. If you see it as $21,349 cool - great; I don't judge but let's face it, if it didn't say Harley-Davisdon on it, would it sell for even 2/3rds the price?
As an owner of the bike, I knew what I was getting into. I know there is a "Harley Tax" associated with the bike, and if you go off of pure numbers, a japanese offering is a bit cheaper than the cost of the FXDR. If this was a Honda, it would not sell for this price, mid $15K is where i would estimate it at.

But the pull for many of us that came from the sportbike camp (this is my first Harley Davidson), is the looks, the sound and the customization options there are with this machine. It does look diffrent, Harley has made a bike that isn't full of chrome and can be modified in diffrent ways to stand out.

Also, coming from the sportbike camp, the FXDR corners very well (Go watch ANY YouTube reviewers if you don't believe me, they will tell you the same thing), it pulls pretty hard in any gear... in short, does what its supposed to.

It's just a bit amusing that (I know it's only a few) a "The FXDR sucks..." post comes up every few weeks and pop in to armchair QB a bike they haven't ridden or spent time with. It gives me something to read while drinking coffee

Last edited by GomezAddaams; 06-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

As I get farther into the summer and stop in at more bike events, I'm noticing more Fat Bobs. Not the same as the FXDR, but still shows an acceptance of something new for HD.

As far as the FXDR quality - My experience was that it was on par with anything else HD offers - very good. Not plastic feeling at all, but felt carved from a block of steel, which is nice and impressed me. The bike rode better than my bagger, so there's that. At low speeds I'm more comfortable on my bagger, but once up to speed obviously the lighter, faster bike blows it away - no surprise there. On fit - it fits me perfectly. Which means it probably doesn't fit anyone else well. I'm 6-5 and have a 37/38 sleeve length. I have no idea how someone with shorter arms would ride this bike comfortably.

I'm coming around to the FXDR. I wouldn't buy one but I can now see that it's a good bike for some people. Plus the Livewire makes it look sensible now.

Quick Reply: Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike