General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Unfortunately for me the Diavel is a tiny bike. Given the option between the FXDR and the Diavel I would take the FXDR simply because I actually fit on the bike. I will say it's comfortable.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks alone would stop me buying a Diavel. I wouldn't buy an FXDR either, but only because it's completely impractical for long trips.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:02 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Looks alone would stop me buying a Diavel. I wouldn't buy an FXDR either, but only because it's completely impractical for long trips.
I'm trying something out, stay tuned.....

The following 3 users liked this post by GomezAddaams:
MajorKG (06-06-2019), Mark Faulkner (05-30-2019), soldierbot (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:26 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
The Diavel is not Ducati's naked sport bike. That was the Ducati Streetfighter, which is no longer in production. The Monster 1200S is the only naked sport bike Ducati still makes. However, a V4 version of the Streetfighter is due out early next year, and that will be a true naked version of the V4 Panigale.

The Diavel isn't a cruiser and it isn't a naked sport bike. In truth, it doesn't easily fit into any category as it's got a bit of all those different bikes in it. Complicating matters futher is the fact that there is the new 2019 Diavel, which is sporty, and the XDiavel, which is a cruiser. People get them confused because of the name, but they're actually quite different bikes.

The FXDR is just a Breakout which handles slightly better. It's still an overweight, underpowered pig which costs as much or more than the most premium offerings from other brands.

Having owned multiple Diavels of different kinds, all I can say is don't even compare it to the FXDR or VROD. The torque delivery on the XDiavel is just brutal, and the Diavel S will pretty much outdrag any production motorcycle on the road today. But it isn't about raw hp, it's about how the bike feels. And the Diavel is incredibly satisfying to ride, even at very low speeds. It produces max torque at only 5,000 rpm, which means the torque curve is basically a straight line and the power is just available everywhere. That's what Diavel owners know: you don't have to go fast on it for it to be fun, it's just a hoot at any speed. But if you want to ride it fast, it will embarrass many naked bikes and some sport bikes.

As for the looks, I've never ridden anything that gets attention like the Diavel. No matter where you are or where you are going, with a full Termignoni race exhaust installed, people just stop what they're doing and look up to see what's coming and what in the world is making that sound. It's full-on Mad Max.

Ride a Diavel for a couple hundred miles. I almost guarantee you you'll never get on an FXDR again.

Agree with most except for one negative - driveline lash at low speed. Back when XDiavel first came out I test-ride it as a jealous V-Rod owner, and that was one thing that annoyed me around town. In the end it didn't have the speed or power of a liter bike, nor the civility and passenger comfort of my V-Rod.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

It was insane that harley didn't make the vrod a beast. It was the street version of their drag bike. They never intend to compete on power. Period.

The following users liked this post:
Walter White (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:08 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
The Diavel is not Ducati's naked sport bike. That was the Ducati Streetfighter, which is no longer in production. The Monster 1200S is the only naked sport bike Ducati still makes. However, a V4 version of the Streetfighter is due out early next year, and that will be a true naked version of the V4 Panigale.

The Diavel isn't a cruiser and it isn't a naked sport bike. In truth, it doesn't easily fit into any category as it's got a bit of all those different bikes in it. Complicating matters futher is the fact that there is the new 2019 Diavel, which is sporty, and the XDiavel, which is a cruiser. People get them confused because of the name, but they're actually quite different bikes.

The FXDR is just a Breakout which handles slightly better. It's still an overweight, underpowered pig which costs as much or more than the most premium offerings from other brands.

Having owned multiple Diavels of different kinds, all I can say is don't even compare it to the FXDR or VROD. The torque delivery on the XDiavel is just brutal, and the Diavel S will pretty much outdrag any production motorcycle on the road today. But it isn't about raw hp, it's about how the bike feels. And the Diavel is incredibly satisfying to ride, even at very low speeds. It produces max torque at only 5,000 rpm, which means the torque curve is basically a straight line and the power is just available everywhere. That's what Diavel owners know: you don't have to go fast on it for it to be fun, it's just a hoot at any speed. But if you want to ride it fast, it will embarrass many naked bikes and some sport bikes.

As for the looks, I've never ridden anything that gets attention like the Diavel. No matter where you are or where you are going, with a full Termignoni race exhaust installed, people just stop what they're doing and look up to see what's coming and what in the world is making that sound. It's full-on Mad Max.

Ride a Diavel for a couple hundred miles. I almost guarantee you you'll never get on an FXDR again.

I agree with pretty much everything you said....both the Diavel and XDiavel are a complete BLAST to ride....the main issue I have with them is reliability, service, and cost/availability of accessories. They are EXTREMELY limited, especially when compared to Harley. We have 3 dealers within 100 miles of me and NONE stock any Diavels (one dealer said they would NEVER stock another one because they took so long to sell in the past). Maintenance costs are completely over the top (they are on my Panigale also, but if I owned a Diavel I would put a LOT more miles on it than I do my sportbike). They are EXTREMELY difficult to work on, literally the simplest tasks require a TON of part removal...you talk about the Termi exhaust, did you ever try and put one on??? Its quite literally a nightmare...both in labor to put it on and the cost of the thing is almost 5 grand. And with that, when you want to to ANYTHING to it aftermarket wise...the Harley guys laugh and say HD means hundred dollars....well imported from Italy means 300 dollars..LOLZ. Dont get me wrong...i LOVE the XDiavel...look up Jarret Campisi on Youtube and look at the one he is building out, its OUTSTANDING!!! but also look at how much headache it is to work on, and look at the cost, as he is basically doing bolt ons and is going to have 60 grand into the thing by the time its done.....you give me ANY Harley and 35 grand to do aftermarket **** to it, and I will show you a bike so over the top its silly. If there were at least twice as many dealers and you took away the belt issues with the XDiavel and I would be on one in the next 2 months...heck I may STILL be on one....I do love the bike, but I just want a bike I know I can go out in the garage, start it up, and ride the crap out of it day after day after day without worrying about having to take it to some far away place because something stupid broke on it....thats a Harley...runs forever and even if it dosnt, if I cant fix it, there are 20 other guys right here in my home town that do.....you absolutely cant do that with a Ducati unless you are lucky enough to live someplace with a TON of support for them. Aprillia is the same way....I would LOVE a Tuono Factory....but the nearest dealer is over 200 miles away...not gonna happen. On another note, man if I could snag a cherry Streetfighter 1098 S my life would be complete!!!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Not anymore..... 😉

The following 4 users liked this post by GomezAddaams:
ChrisHo (06-06-2019), MajorKG (06-06-2019), nevada72 (06-02-2019), Paintslinger16 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Rotated back slightly and level would be almost perfect???

Had some teardrop soft. Sport bike bags I used on the Deuce way back when to ride to work.
When I took them off. I would set them on my wife's custom, backwards.

They looked really good like that as the angle matched the strut/swingarm.
Never ran them like that on mine as I already had them set up with the straps and stuff.

JM

Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain
Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

I would also mock them up in the normal position. (just to see)
Lines would match the tank?

JM

Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

looks goog Gomez

Quick Reply: Why the FXDR isn’t a performance bike