General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019 | 08:49 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I have ridden in the rain ,many times for a full day. Bought many rain suits and for the last few years we have the harley HI-VIS rain gear . Ride with the flashers on if it helps make you more visible , Welcome to a life of fun and adventure !!! What bike do you have ?

Old 05-17-2019 | 08:58 PM
texasdw
Supporter

Lightning. That's where I draw the line.

The following users liked this post:
James Gibson (05-20-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 10:51 PM
Oko
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I remember the very first time I rode in rain (drizzle). The 95 going to Washington, DC. I was terrified.
Fast fwd 10+ years and I rode out the fringe of a small tornado in Upstate NY, near Oneonta. Winds picked up, temps dropped, a bit of hail, tree branches flying, inches of water on the blacktop and traffic slowed or stopped. I kept going and laughing. It rained so hard I was soaked under my rain suit. Popped out into sun and felt like a human burrito.

One other time on the Mass turnpike, I couldn't see 15-feet. Little woman screamed for me to pull over, right after we went through the toll booths. I will never ride in that kinda rain again. At least not with another beating heart on the bike.
Maybe I learned, maybe not......

Old 05-17-2019 | 11:03 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
If motorcycling was some kind of contest or competition between people maybe I'd agree with that, but it isn't. I carry rain gear and I've rode in the rain at times when I've had to because I was already out or committed to a group ride where I've given notice to others that I'm going along (not some poker run) , but I don't choose to ride in the rain if I don't have to. I ride mostly to enjoy the ride and I don't enjoy riding in the rain, even with rain gear.
This^^

mrmarklin (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 11:04 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior

I quit riding in the rain on purpose eleven years ago. Here in the PRK there is too much traffic and the oil on the roads rises to the top making the tarmac too slick.

So I don’t ride in the rain if it can be helped.

Old 05-17-2019 | 11:37 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Riders Club Member

When it looks like this I pull over and put on my big girl panties to protect my Mangina

And ride until it is doing this

And then hide here until it stops

And then say “screw this ****” and get a Motel.

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 05-17-2019 at 11:38 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Don Michigan (05-18-2019), JakeC7R (05-18-2019), James Gibson (05-20-2019), Mark Faulkner (05-18-2019), Mountain Cruiser (05-18-2019), Oko (05-18-2019), Sorce (05-18-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2019 | 11:43 PM
Allfields
Advanced

You draw the line where your comfort level is.

The parts I hate worst about driving in the rain is those drops hurt your face when you are on the highway.

Your feet get really soaked on Harley’s

Your crotch gets soaked from the way the rain goes down the top and sides of the gas tank.

Then my bike gets filthy, and I rather run my fingers on a chalkboard than clean my bike.

They have car detainers all over the place, but I never have come across any bike detainers in the Chicagoland area.

Make sure you have good tread on your back tire.and keep both tires on the pavement and enjoy.

Old 05-18-2019 | 06:12 AM
assiniboine
Seasoned HDF Member

Worst ride I ever had was the northern route around Lake Superior .......................... in August! Morning weather was usually light rain and fog - 50F, maybe 30 feet viz. The fog would burn off around 1000 and temps would warm to maybe 70F!

U would think that most people would slo for the poor viz? In your dreams!

Most traffic goes thru the U.S. so generally it's all local people that know the roads, ie, the turns,etc. Slowing was almost a death wish of being run down from behind, eh? So, for several hours in the morning ur doing the limit with 30 ft viz watching for deer, moose, porcupines (dead, etc), humans, vehicles, fatalities and organic debris! Exciting doesn't describe it. One strategy is to closely follow a 18-wheeler, if u can find one! I'd also advise that strategy if u travel Newfoundland.

I done this route in January (cage, eh? ) and it's totally different. Blizzards notwithstanding, the mornings are crystal clear, sunny .............. but cold as fk!

Wawa is always fun!

Jmkelly (05-28-2019)
Old 05-18-2019 | 06:36 AM
bakron1
Cruiser

My twin brother and myself have logged many miles in rainy weather, when we where active in the BMW motorcycle rally scene in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's before we stop touring. We rode almost every weekend rain or shine. I still remember one year when we left for the BMW trail of tears rally in late April. It rained the entire 750 miles down to Missouri where the rally was held, the rally was rained out, we stayed in a motel for the evening and it rained the entire way home, nothing like a 1500 mile rainy weekend on two wheels. We always wore top of the line rain gear, but I will tell you from experience that no rain gear is 100% waterproof, they all leak when it rains hard. My best advice is to always be very careful when riding in the rain, we always ride staggered and NEVER side by side. My brother and myself logged over 350,000 miles on two wheels and always came home safe by following simple rules when we where on the road.

Last edited by bakron1; 05-18-2019 at 06:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bakron1:
Don Michigan (05-18-2019), Sorce (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019 | 06:38 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by James Gibson
I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?
Sounds like you have the right attitude.

Some good advice has been given - good rain gear (2nd the Harley suit), good boots/gloves, full face helmet, easy on the gas/brakes, avoid center of lane where oil/anti-freeze drips from cars......but in the end just plain old common sense is what it takes and it sounds like you have it.

I sometimes enjoy the rain. Coming back from a hot ride in Kentucky I was happy to hit a few downpours in Indiana. It was a welcome relief. My ride back from Colorado last September was 90% rain and 40 degree temps. I didn't enjoy that so much. But ya gotta get home so there's that. There's an organized ride today I'll probably pass on due to the rain. As has been said, I'll do it when I have to. But I won't ride out of the garage into it very often. The cleanup does really suck.

mctraveler (05-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?