General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019 | 02:37 PM
RHPAW
Banned

Depends where I am, but generally I draw the line when it's coming down so hard, you can't see.

The following 3 users liked this post by RHPAW:
07FXSTOki (05-26-2019), James Gibson (05-17-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 02:56 PM
Haarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by James Gibson
I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?
The hardcore BMW riders laugh at anyone who refuses to ride in the rain. They ride serious miles in rain.

The following 4 users liked this post by Haarley:
1 2 many (05-19-2019), James Gibson (05-17-2019), RK4ME (05-18-2019), Sorce (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 02:59 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

At the first of every riding season I promise myself that I will NOT ride in heavy rain bit it seems as though I ending up doing just that!

Of course it makes sense to ride slower on wet roads, use good judgement about distances and curves, etc. but when you start loosing visibility it's time to find a safe place to get off of the road and as far away from traffic as possible.

When it comes to rain gear, one of the most important things (IMHO) is having a "full face" or "modular" helmet large enough to allow you to wear the hood of your rain suit inside of it.
Having this on before the rain starts (or in an on/off rainy day) will prevent you from much of the rain that you get around your collar and chest areas.

As long as you're moving, having a quality helmet with good ventilation and the shield and or chin guard in the up position will be almost a cool as a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet and they provide much more protection from the rain, cold, wind and accidents than the smaller helmets.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
1 2 many (05-19-2019), James Gibson (05-17-2019), RK4ME (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 03:01 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

When it's raining, if I can't see, I'll pull over someplace. Otherwise rain doesn't phase me. If I have to go someplace and it's raining, I just dress appropriately. Since my bike is my only mode of transportation and has been for years now, I don't let a little rain hold me back. And yes, I do ride year round. Sometimes it gets a bit sketchy with snow and ice, but that doesn't stop me.

I've had people over the years ask me if I'm going to be riding in the rain. My response is always "Sure, I'm not made of sugar!" I'm reasonably sure they probably thought I was nuts and who knows, perhaps I am.

Proper rain gear is essential, the same for riding in any kind of weather. That is unless getting wet really doesn't bother you. Then more power to you! But i would suggest getting some decent gear for however you choose to ride. Everyone makes their own choices. Some are fair weather riders who only ride when the weather is nice, some are weekend warriors only riding on the weekend, and some just ride whenever, wherever!

The following 5 users liked this post by Bonnie Storm:
Haarley (05-17-2019), mctraveler (05-18-2019), Sorce (05-17-2019), stano (09-16-2024), tar_snake (05-20-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 03:10 PM
Cajun4x4
Cruiser

After being stationed in Hawaii for 3 years and 2 of those with only my 1st motorcycle, you learn to ride in the rain. I think you have the basics already; slow down, increase distance and just be cautious. Having some rain gear helps, even if it is just a jacket. I would suggest keeping your shield (assuming you have one) Rain-X'd or something similar and some anit-fog. The water will bead and turning your head to side will allow the wind to blow a lot of it off. The bottom line is this, ride in what you feel comfortable with and your skills can handle. Most people never realize how capable our bikes are wet or dry, especially in the braking department. The really smart guys did their homework and riding in the rain is not a death sentence. Be safe and keep the shiny side up!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cajun4x4:
BuzzCap7 (05-18-2019), mctraveler (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 03:15 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Supporter

In my early 20's, I was in a situation where I could only ride a sportbike for a year. Bought the rain gear and spent my time riding in the rain while commuting to work.

I live in SoCal and we average about 30 days out of the year with some rain or drizzle.

These are the days you will not find me out on the roads. My Harley hates wet roads and so do I, We have a pact that there will be no more planned rides in the rain.

Bonnie's post above makes me feel sorta like a wimp

I embrace my wimpiness....screw the rain.

Old 05-17-2019 | 03:17 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

I do not ride my garage queen in the rain

Old 05-17-2019 | 03:22 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain

Originally Posted by James Gibson
I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?
I really can't think of any value to be gained by asking others this question. It's like asking how tight everyone wears their belt.

The following 2 users liked this post by HiDrag:
Allfields (05-17-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 03:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

One factor that w CANNOT control in any situation is other drivers.

Three years ago, a friend and I got caught in a thunderstorm while going through town and decided to stop at the nearest McDonalds for a break from the rain.
We got separated at a light and the rain had eased of a bit but the street was still wet.

I was in the left lane on a 4-lane street and within sight of the McDonalds about 1/2 mile ahead on the left side.
The speed limit was 35MPH and I was doing close to that when a van passes me on my right hand side, pulls into my lane and hits his brakes and hits his left turn signal at the same time!

I had NO option (traffic on both side of me) other than braking and hoping for the best.
I think my ABS may have saved me (not sure) but I was almost ready to "take the slide" but I felt that my speed was low enough by then that IF I didn't hit the damn van it would be any worse than dumping my bike.
Thankfully, my bike stopped within a foot or so from the rear bumper of the van.

Lesson here.....distance is your friend!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
mctraveler (05-18-2019), Sorce (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019 | 03:35 PM
on3wego
Cruiser

I have a buddy that lives in a city where it rains almost constantly. I asked him how he ever finds time to ride. He said, "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation."

The following 3 users liked this post by on3wego:
1 2 many (05-19-2019), nevada72 (05-18-2019), todd-67 (05-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?