General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to hard-mount these saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,259 Likes on 1,867 Posts

I forgot this part. Once the steel plates were cut and drilled, I painted them with Rustoleum Gloss Black and let them bake in the oven for about 7-8 minutes before installation.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:13 AM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 381 Likes on 196 Posts

Nice! I was gonna ask if you ever ride 2-up cause they look a bit longer than the ammo can, but it sounds like you took that into consideration.
Looks good. 👍

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Nice! I was gonna ask if you ever ride 2-up cause they look a bit longer than the ammo can, but it sounds like you took that into consideration.
Looks good. 👍
Thanks. I'm doing this in anticipation of some 2-up riding in the near future. This may sound silly, but that's also the reason I won't mount a sissy bar. I want her holding on to me, not a bar.

The bags are slightly longer than the ammo can, but that's only because the top covers protrude slightly. The passenger pegs are far enough forward so I don't think it'll be an issue.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:50 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,372 Likes on 6,153 Posts

Huge improvement over the ammo can, both in looks and functionality. As for the sissy bar, you may want to give that some more thought, hanging on to you for a long ride will get pretty tiring for her. Maybe you could get her one of those really low sissy bars that only protrude about 2 or 3 inches above the seat? That would hold her in place well enough and still look pretty good.

The following users liked this post:
Windseeker (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Huge improvement over the ammo can, both in looks and functionality. As for the sissy bar, you may want to give that some more thought, hanging on to you for a long ride will get pretty tiring for her. Maybe you could get her one of those really low sissy bars that only protrude about 2 or 3 inches above the seat? That would hold her in place well enough and still look pretty good.
I may consider that. At one point I said I would never add a passenger pillion, so things change.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,685 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I came across this by accident, but I love the ammo can idea. I am slowly converting an ironhead into a bobber and want to have some funky non-traditional things on it that will flow with the bike design and an ammo can might be the best thing for me to use for an oil bag or to house the electronics (well Main circuit breaker board and ignition key set up.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
I came across this by accident, but I love the ammo can idea. I am slowly converting an ironhead into a bobber and want to have some funky non-traditional things on it that will flow with the bike design and an ammo can might be the best thing for me to use for an oil bag or to house the electronics (well Main circuit breaker board and ignition key set up.
I love it also, but it clashes with my bike. It would be more fitting on one of the "badass black and mean" types. It's also waterproof, since the lid fully encloses the top.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,685 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
I love it also, but it clashes with my bike. It would be more fitting on one of the "badass black and mean" types. It's also waterproof, since the lid fully encloses the top.
Yeah,
That is why I am thinking it is perfect for mounting on a hardtail. I can use it to hold the battery and the wiring center in the case on the side of the bike.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
Yeah,
That is why I am thinking it is perfect for mounting on a hardtail. I can use it to hold the battery and the wiring center in the case on the side of the bike.
Sounds like a plan. If I had kept mine on, I was eventually going to stencil paint it with "7.62 Caliber" or something like that. But all things considered, I like the mini bags much better.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Also, just so you know..... if you want an ammo can like what's pictured here, it's $20.00 from Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: What do I need to hard-mount these saddlebags?