General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Security Issue....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting Security Issue....

So, I have a 2014 Street Glide Special, my garage door is at the top of a hill, in the morning I tend to coast out of the garage, down a hill and when I am about 25 yards from the garage door I start the bike and head to work. This keeps the noise a little lower for the neighbors at 6:00am in the morning.

Twice in the last couple weeks I left the garage without the fob, coasted out of the garage and onto the street, and started up the bike without any issue. Seems strange that the bike would start without the fob. Looks like you could jump start a bike without the fob. Just an interesting piece of information.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Fast66
Tourer
Received 286 Likes on 126 Posts

Are you sure the spare fob isn’t in the saddlebag?
I thought the alarm would sound if you moved the bike with no fob present.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 PM
ChiliPepr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fast66
Are you sure the spare fob isn’t in the saddlebag?
I thought the alarm would sound if you moved the bike with no fob present.
I am positive. There is no alarm on the bike, just flashing lights. The the fob is hanging on the wall when I start the bike out of the garage, so it may be close enough to have a “lasting effect”.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepr
Twice in the last couple weeks I left the garage without the fob, coasted out of the garage and onto the street, and started up the bike without any issue. Seems strange that the bike would start without the fob. Looks like you could jump start a bike without the fob. Just an interesting piece of information.
I am positive. There is no alarm on the bike, just flashing lights. The the fob is hanging on the wall when I start the bike out of the garage, so it may be close enough to have a “lasting effect”.

when you coast out of the garage, do you already have your ignition on? if you do, then you've deactivated the security and it won't activate again until you turn the ignition off. without the fob being in range when you turn on the ignition, you are not going to be able to start the bike. and no, you wouldn't be able to jump it either. and there is no 'lasting' effect. you are either close enough to disarm the security when you turn on the ignition or you aren't.

course, there is the slim possibility that your dealer never activated your security.

Last edited by skratch; 05-08-2019 at 09:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skratch:
Campy Roadie (05-09-2019), RollaMo (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,234 Likes on 2,319 Posts

What happens when you get off work? Does the bike start?

The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
e6fmf (05-09-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

If the FOB is hanging in the garage near the bike I think you also risk running down the FOB battery as it is constantly replying to the bike's signal (or vice versa, I'm not sure which way it works), but I believe the owner's manual says it's better to store the FOB more than 20 feet from the bike for that reason.

A simple way to stop forgetting the FOB is to lock your fork lock, then you couldn't move the bike very far without using the key attached to the FOB to unlock the fork lock.

Last edited by MacTarnahan; 05-08-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:26 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,961 Likes on 11,627 Posts

The FOB on the wall is satisfying the security, if you turn the ignition on in its presence.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

My 2018 FLHCS won't start when the fob is 4-5 feet away from the bike. It has to be in my pocket or in the bags to start the bike. I have no siren, but the lights flash and the bike is dead. If you don't have the fob, your bike should not start. Would it do this in Transport mode?

Old 05-09-2019, 06:26 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

not sure what you're asking. if the bike is in transport mode, you can move it, shake it, etc without the lights flashing. the starter interlock is still active, so it would not start. as soon as you turn the ignition on, you've taken it out of transport mode.

RollaMo (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:33 AM
ChiliPepr
Advanced

Originally Posted by skratch
when you coast out of the garage, do you already have your ignition on? if you do, then you've deactivated the security and it won't activate again until you turn the ignition off. without the fob being in range when you turn on the ignition, you are not going to be able to start the bike. and no, you wouldn't be able to jump it either. and there is no 'lasting' effect. you are either close enough to disarm the security when you turn on the ignition or you aren't.

course, there is the slim possibility that your dealer never activated your security.

This is it. When I am coming out of the garage I turn the ignition on to close the garage door and I am close to the fob.

At least this has given me practice starting the bike with the code!

mazz (05-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Interesting Security Issue....