General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Compression Release alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:35 PM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default S&S Compression Release alternatives?

So here’s the problem, I want to run a set of S&S superstock heads on my bike. I don’t want the easy start cams. You cannot use Harley Davidson compression releases on their heads. In order to run S&S compression releases you have to buy their rocker boxes and their compression release set up which total is going to run you about $1500 which is more than the price of the heads. They used to make their own manual compression releases, which would fit under stock rocker boxes, But now they are nowhere to be found online and if you could get them they are over $500 which seems like a scam considering any other manual releases online are about $20. I understand that there’s probably many other better options for heads, I just want to know if there’s a solution to this particular problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Compression Releases

Yeah, you can get really cheap releases on Ebay. I wouldn't waste my money on them. I have the HD manual releases in the HTCC heads on my Dyna and they were about $90.00 when I bought them about 10 years ago , but it sounds like a moot point if you want to run those heads then you are limited to what S & S wants to sell you. Harley doesn't make the heads I have anymore, I don't think, but they have some good ones never the less. Mine came already drilled for the releases so it was easy to set things up

Old 05-08-2019, 04:41 PM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Yeah, you can get really cheap releases on Ebay. I wouldn't waste my money on them. I have the HD manual releases in the HTCC heads on my Dyna and they were about $90.00 when I bought them about 10 years ago , but it sounds like a moot point if you want to run those heads then you are limited to what S & S wants to sell you. Harley doesn't make the heads I have anymore, I don't think, but they have some good ones never the less. Mine came already drilled for the releases so it was easy to set things up
Yeah looks like my only alternative would be to have these heads drilled for manual releases. I would hate to have to do that on a brand new Set of heads like this though, especially since they’re already drilled for another type of compression releases. I think the Harley compression releases are a 10 mm bolt and the S&S or a 14 mm bolt I wonder if there’s a way to neck the hole down to a 10mm. Also if anybody has an old set of S&S manual releases please let me know.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:46 PM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

My S&S HEADS from FM were drilled for acrs

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1 2 many
My S&S HEADS from FM were drilled for acrs
FuelMoto is great. If I wanna as going with a more wild bigger build I would get their Outlaw Heads. A related question if I run these 79cc heads and keep my bike a 96” with. 9.8:1 compression ratio, would I even need the releases?

Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Just curious: why don't you want the S&S easy start cams?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 AM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Just curious: why don't you want the S&S easy start cams?
Already did cams that I’m extremely happy with. Don’t want to have to change them out if I don’t have to.

The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

They can be converted to use HD compression releases.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:34 AM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sisu
They can be converted to use HD compression releases.
I was hoping they could be. Could you tell me how? I know the S&S are 14mm and won’t fit under stock rocker boxes. The Harley Compression releases are 10mm and obviously fit under the rocker boxes.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

www.wardperformance.com/machining-services/ They do it. Most head guys can hook you up.

Quick Reply: S&S Compression Release alternatives?