General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruining paint/throwover saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
fbhawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruining paint/throwover saddlebags

God I hate the fact I'm looking for saddlebags for my Fatboy. I read a ton of posts about everything from mounts to mickey mouse so I did my homework. If you're carefull and use a towel or something under them do throwovers still ruin paint or is this problem overblown. I will not be leaving them on except for the occational times and I have a few different T-Bags. Fatboys should not have saddlebags but then again marriage should be in 5 year increments too. Like lots of us, it's the wife that wants them.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 PM
fbhawg
Tourer
Default RE: Ruining paint/throwover saddlebags

ttt

Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything you put under it, leather cloth, carpet... it will mess up your paint.
ORIGINAL: fbhawg

God I hate the fact I'm looking for saddlebags for my Fatboy. I read a ton of posts about everything from mounts to mickey mouse so I did my homework. If you're carefull and use a towel or something under them do throwovers still ruin paint or is this problem overblown. I will not be leaving them on except for the occational times and I have a few different T-Bags. Fatboys should not have saddlebags but then again marriage should be in 5 year increments too. Like lots of us, it's the wife that wants them.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not as exacting as some, but would offer a couple of observations. If you get throwover, pick some that feel soft on the underside (Willie-Max are OK). However you mount them, tie them down so that they can't move when in contact with paint.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been debating the same thing. I have decided to just get a detachable backrest with luggage rack. I just can't do the Bags on my fat boy. Get that leather holder that goes on you bars for about $30 at your local bike shop(not harley)(you can put your nick nacks in it). Then you can strap down whatever you want on the rack in back. Then take it off when you don't need it.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

put a small towel (the kind you wipe your bike down with for streaks)or something under them so it doesn't scratch the paint,I learned my lesson on my Shadow but really it didn't matter cause in 06' Harley quit puttin' the clear protective coating under the seat and I have wear marks all underneath it. 6 months and 4,200 miles and I want to repaint[>:]

Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
JLION
Banned

I don't think Wyatt Earp worried about whether or not his saddlebags marred his horse.

If you don't want a motorcycle to look like it has been ridden, don't ride it. Otherwise, saddle up and ride.

I remember some of the people I used to think were cool motorbikers, often traveling with a sleeping bag, etc. tied on top of their front fender and sh*t hanging everywhere else as needed. As a yute, I never gave this a second thought as to what it may be doing to the bike.

After a lifetime of keeping crap in pristine condition brought on by adult compulsion for perfection, I've finally seen the light. Enjoy it or put it away.

HiiYahhhh !!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Try taking some mico cloth and use it under your bags. They make that so it does not scratch the paint. You may have your wife sew a couple together to make them big enough. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

I bought a wool army blanket and cut it to fit the undersides of the bags. Then glued it on. You don't see it, and it gives some protection to the paint.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use sticky back foam weather stripping under the throw overs. It sticks to the leather pretty good and the foam does not mark the paint. I don't use this stuff for the paint protection though. I have a solo seat and the foam keeps the bags from moving back and forth on the fender. Without it theymove around evenwhen tied down.

Quick Reply: Ruining paint/throwover saddlebags