General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serialized Production 105th Anniversary (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serialized Limited Production 105th Anniversary

A dealer markup beyond the already signifcant 105th model MSRP would be surprising. The Anniversary version of the Ultra, for instance, is a full$2000 more than a two-tone version of roughly the same bike.

Dealers are marking bikes down, not up. Also, I think Harley will produce significantly fewer bikes for 2008.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In fact if you look at the tanks on the 100th anniversary editions they are probably the least attractive badging of any Harley made in the past 100 years. As one guy said, it looked liked someone wrapped a Christmas ribbon around it.!! But hey, they did make it distinctive.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

HD has numbered anniversary models in the same way before. 80th, 85th, 90th and 95th Anniversary's, and 30th Anniversary ElectraGlidecomes to mind. Then there was the limited edition Dayton, and Sturgis models. Don't look for them to be worth a dime more than any other used motorcycle.

If you want a motorcycle, get what appeals to you and ride it. If you want an investment try art, real estate, or the stock market.

Bill
Check out the video for yourself: http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p;locale=en_US then let's debate whether they will be collectible or not.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HEY!!! If thats the boat ya wanna float in,,,, DO IT!!!
who gives a crap about the cubical beeeeotchs in here
I wanna 08 to match my 03,,, and will have enuff cash for when the 13's come out!
and when the 125th comes around ,, I'll proby by 2

the secret is to buy the belt buckle first,,,, then you HAVE to buy the bikes!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

ORIGINAL: tda69

HD has numbered anniversary models in the same way before. 80th, 85th, 90th and 95th Anniversary's, and 30th Anniversary ElectraGlidecomes to mind. Then there was the limited edition Dayton, and Sturgis models. Don't look for them to be worth a dime more than any other used motorcycle.

If you want a motorcycle, get what appeals to you and ride it. If you want an investment try art, real estate, or the stock market.

Bill
Check out the video for yourself: http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p;locale=en_US then let's debate whether they will be collectible or not.
Want to debate? What's to debate? I have been around long enough that I had the priviledge of seeing the same hype from the MoCo. for the 85th,95th Anniversary, and the 100th Anniversay. This was also the hype for the 1992 Daytona Dyna model (only 1,700 made as I recall), and the 30th Anniversary Electra Glide model.

The video is from the MoCo. They are going to hype things to sell bikes, and to add a good mark up price to them. the 100th Anniversary would be a bigger mile stone than the 105th, and look what they are worth.

Would you buy stocks based on a company's hype or on it's past performance? Past performance of Limited Edition bikes is just not there, but if you want one, get it and save it for your retirement fund.

Bill

Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: tda69

Bill
Want to debate? What's to debate? I have been around long enough that I had the priviledge of seeing the same hype from the MoCo. for the 85th,95th Anniversary, and the 100th Anniversay. This was also the hype for the 1992 Daytona Dyna model (only 1,700 made as I recall), and the 30th Anniversary Electra Glide model.

The video is from the MoCo. They are going to hype things to sell bikes, and to add a good mark up price to them. the 100th Anniversary would be a bigger mile stone than the 105th, and look what they are worth.

Would you buy stocks based on a company's hype or on it's past performance? Past performance of Limited Edition bikes is just not there, but if you want one, get it and save it for your retirement fund.

Bill
Bill,

Seriously! Who said anything about a retirement fund? Are thosemy only choices? Save for retirement or buy a Harley? Did it occur to you that I have already taken care of that and this is just mad money? Here's how I roll.....When I see a bike I like,if I want it, I don't finance it. Ipay cash. That's disposable income. My background is in banking/finance. Besides close to 20 years of experience in my field of work and my degree, I have licenses to sell real estate, insurance and investments. I think I have a pretty good handle on money and know a good investment when I see it. I never suggested that I or anybody else should consider"driving" their retirement buy purchasinga 105th Anniversary bike. Especially in lieu of a good, well managed retirement plan.

If on the other hand, you were thinking about buying a bike, say an '07 model, then I might recommend waiting for an Anniversary bike and buy that. Assuming that it appeals to you as much. Yes, I recognize that the MoCo is in the business to make money and their motives are purely profit driven. On the other hand, just because they are motivated to make money and they advertisethese bikes will be limited in production, also doesn't mean they are full of s h i t. I am not discounting what you are saying about previous bikes, like mine for example where they were in production for 18 months. Those bikes were not serialized. 2008 models will be limited production and if you look at the plaque on an '08 Ultra, it only goes up to 000/000 (hundreds) which means at the most they would manufacture 999 models, unless they add more zeros. Right? So if you follow me, what I am saying is the prices will be dictated by supply and demand. Seems highly unlikely these bikes will depreciate the same way a non-anniversary bike would, especially if the production is say, 150/999. One other thing I'd like to point out. Just bec

Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I agree with what you are saying,but its a crap shoot on future value.If you buy it and store it for 25-30 yrs,you might realize a sizable gain on your original investment or it might not be worth what you paid for it less inflation.Probably better things to invest in,but not as fun.