General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar rope thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

I would have to agree with the comments about hanging it from the brake lever, that would make me nervous.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:32 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl
You owe me 1min and 37secs of my life back. Cause that's about as much as I could take. Wtf. I need to go back to How to be a badass school. Jesus I must of missed that day.....and jmo you are not very bright putting anything on the brake lever. Cause all you have to do is yank that thing and someone is doing a endo.
First why would someone do that for no reason. I've seen this ridiculous comment repeated often.
If there was a reason, I'd know it and be prepared, not allowing that person to get that close. It's not like they'd be creeping up on me.
So, if you don't like the look or think it's foolish or what ever adjective you want to apply let me suggest you not get one.
It's really that simple.

The following 3 users liked this post by RANGER73:
BluesStringer (05-01-2019), Greezey Rider (04-30-2019), RhynoRocK (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:02 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
First why would someone do that for no reason. I've seen this ridiculous comment repeated often.
If there was a reason, I'd know it and be prepared, not allowing that person to get that close. It's not like they'd be creeping up on me.
So, if you don't like the look or think it's foolish or what ever adjective you want to apply let me suggest you not get one.
It's really that simple.
So out of all these post....mine was the one that offended you. Actually, when i made my post i was thinking about a Moto 2 race last year where the one racer got pissed, came by and tapped on another racers brake lever. Got him banned as it should have. Would i ever do it hell no. But people do weird stuff when they are mad. So yea, I stand by my statement that putting anything on the brake lever is not so smart. I dont ever even want to temp someone to have access to my controls. Put it wherever you want, just not on the brake lever. And the tough guy stick, with using it to fend off your wife, that doesn't fly so well either with me. JMO, hey you want to use it on your wife more power to ya, but that was a bit ridiculous dont you think.

Last edited by Hdbkstl; 04-30-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:09 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdbkstl
So out of all these post....mine was the one that offended you. Actually, when i made my post i was thinking about a Moto 2 race last year where the one racer got pissed, came by and tapped on another racers brake lever. Got him banned as it should have. Would i ever do it hell no. But people do weird stuff when they are mad. So yea, I stand by my statement that putting anything on the brake lever is not so smart. I dont ever even want to temp someone to have access to my controls. Put it wherever you want, just not on the brake lever. And the tough guy stick, with using it to fend off your wife, that doesn't fly so well either with me. JMO, hey you want to use it on your wife more power to ya, but that was a bit ridiculous dont you think.
Not at all, I don't read all the posts, just the last few.
I never said anything about using it on anyone.
Please, enlighten me.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Not at all, I don't read all the posts, just the last few.
I never said anything about using it on anyone.
Please, enlighten me.

Sorry, I get that. I usually read the first couple. You got to watch that youtube video that someone post early on. Should be in my quote. I personally don't give a toot what people do. It is your bike, your expression of yourself. But what came to mind when thinking about putting it on the brake lever was this incident:

Old 04-30-2019, 07:21 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Being Canadian, I'm somewhat amused at the notion that someone living in a country where citizens can be armed would actually slap away at a stranger's car with a piece of goddamn rope. I sure as hell wouldn't go down there and pull that stunt. Its just a bit too Darwinian for my taste.

Forget the guns, you are on a 900lb bike with no protection around you, there are idiot drivers in 7,500 lb SUV's with lots of steel between them and you. You really want to slap one of those with a 3' piece of rope? Heck if you just startle them they might swerve into you and flatten you.

As for a using one as a weapon, yes the leather whips with a weight at the end work as a weapon, just like someone mentioned a padlock on a piece of rope or a bandanna does as well. Here in Virginia that is classified as a "Slung Shot" and is considered a deadly weapon. Carrying one concealed is against the law. So you come up to me swinging a get back whip you are assaulting me with a deadly weapon, just as if you were waving a knife or brandishing a gun and I am perfectly justified in shooting you in my self defense.

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,213 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by RagmanZL

History of the Getback Whip

Getback whips were originally made by bikers in the '70s in their down time. They braided straps of leather together that corresponded with their club colors. This helped to identify a club as they blazed down the road and added style to the motorcycle. It was also a deterrent against motorcycle theft, because it identified a motorcycle as belonging to a certain club even if the rider and jacket weren't present.

I dunno I think it looks stupid. But thats just my opinion. And yes, I know what they say about opinions....
Not too sure I agree with that "history" of the get back whip. I was involved in the motorcycle culture all through the 70's and beyond and I don't recall ever seeing a get back whip in all that time. I also have a couple hundred photos from that time period and there isn't a GBW in any of them. Probably because all the guys I knew would have also thought " it looks stupid" just like you said. Besides, why would you want to fly down the highway with that thing sailing around slappin' the hell out of you and your bike? In fact the first one I ever saw was here in Florida about 6 or 7 years ago. I figured it was just another RUB/hipster adornment.
If I remember right, back in the day the popular weapons were usually a knife, a hammer, pipe wrench, a tire billie or a piece of chain. Then guns became more prevalent and the world changed forever.

Not a GBW in sight.

Last edited by Hey Man; 04-30-2019 at 07:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
HKMark23 (04-30-2019), RedOregon (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Birdman
L
They are illegal (unless they are mounted such as to be unable to quickly detach them) in CA because they can be used effectively to educate drivers who believe lane splitting encroaches on their personal space.

ss.
I always thought guys on bikes who screwed with cars are morons.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 AM
m3a1
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I think the guy in the video must be off his meds.....or maybe he's ON his meds! Love the shades by the way. Little old ladies coming out of Walgreens wear em.

Either way, Ben-Hur had a passion for the fashion and we all know he's a badass.

The following users liked this post:
Oko (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by rick601
damn, nice bike. Truth is I like those long tassels. I also kinda think they make you more noticeable on the road. In any event I’m considering a pair on my softail. Probably not fluorescent pink though!
How would those little things make you more noticible?

Originally Posted by VAFish

As for a using one as a weapon, yes the leather whips with a weight at the end work as a weapon, just like someone mentioned a padlock on a piece of rope or a bandanna does as well. Here in Virginia that is classified as a "Slung Shot" and is considered a deadly weapon. Carrying one concealed is against the law. So you come up to me swinging a get back whip you are assaulting me with a deadly weapon, just as if you were waving a knife or brandishing a gun and I am perfectly justified in shooting you in my self defense.
By hanging it like this, it is not concealed. I do get the idea of getting around concealed carry laws. I have heard of a chain as a belt for this reason, years ago. I have neither.

I also get that in some areas it may display club colors, and I am ok with it for that reason. I would wonder if they would see it to poser trendy. I dunno.

Last edited by Zerk; 04-30-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar rope thing