General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar rope thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by FxdwgGuy
Having a whip shows intent.
No, it shows a whip.

What other intentions can you find in inanimate objects?

Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Welcome to HD Forums where you can find thousands of threads with hundreds of posts worrying about what other people do or don't do when they ride !

Jus passing gas

Haole

The following users liked this post:
RhynoRocK (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Most people don't really think much about the person who is riding a bike any more they think about the person who is driving a car. This includes other riders. They may take an interest in the bike itself or something draws their attention to it like the sound or the color etc...But it's the bike that is getting noticed and people arent checking out who is on it. The only time that happens IMO is when the person is being a douchebag and blasting their pipes etc.....then people just think you're an ahole. Other than that, you're just like anyone else on the road--an anonymous individual. What people decide to put on their bike is their own affair. Owning something nice and wanting it to look nice is pretty normal. But if people get real preoccupied with their image, which often seems to be the case with riders,. they have made an error in judgement. People don't give two shakes about any of that. They are not thinking about you and don't care.
I agree. I was sitting at a stop light the other day and had some fat chick hit on me. I'm an old man so I just figured she was like everyone else and just trying to make a living.
But you're right, I'm sure the bike caught her attention. Had I been in my truck she wouldn't have given me a glance. Oh, and I never " blast the pipes".

It's all just personal choice. I like the streamers on my Softail. Had them on my bicycle as a kid. Not interested in a GBW.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:26 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,018 Likes on 8,654 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
This guy (in video) must be a real badass ... he has a chandelier in his garage - and it's hugging the ceiling.
So, I guess he`s a chandelier hugger AND a wife beater.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,018 Likes on 8,654 Posts

Originally Posted by RagmanZL
Found this - now that I know what its called

History of the Getback Whip

Getback whips were originally made by bikers in the '70s in their down time. They braided straps of leather together that corresponded with their club colors. This helped to identify a club as they blazed down the road and added style to the motorcycle. It was also a deterrent against motorcycle theft, because it identified a motorcycle as belonging to a certain club even if the rider and jacket weren't present.

Another more nefarious reason for the getback whip was born out of need for club members to have an accessible weapon. The 1970s and early '80s saw a rise in outlaw biker clubs, and with that came violent clashes. Fights often broke out between members of opposing clubs, and having a weapon within arm's reach came in handy. Violence also erupted between clubs and law enforcement. Sometimes bikers would tie bolts to the ends of the fringe for more impact when used as a weapon.

Today, violent confrontations with motorcycle clubs have sharply declined. Getback whips are no longer a necessity, so they are used mainly as decoration for a motorcycle. The need for individual motorcyclists to associate with a club has also declined. This means that whip colors are not necessary to mark a cyclist and bike to a club. Individual riders use getback whips to customize their motorcycles and add individual flair.

I dunno I think it looks stupid. But thats just my opinion. And yes, I know what they say about opinions....
Aside from being unnecessary, it`s also dangerous by posing a risk of getting caught in various moving parts in and around the bike, as well as one`s person. And from what it stood for in the past, it is not viewed upon favorably by law enforcement.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,201 Likes on 12,052 Posts

A baseball bat shows intent....to hit a baseball.
Bat must used as a weapon to show intent.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:34 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumbasses

the intent at question is whether one will use it for what it is intended or just to try to give bikers a bad name. You sound like a millenial..which would make sense.
Originally Posted by Haarley
No, it shows a whip.

What other intentions can you find in inanimate objects?

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Default Inanimate objects

A pen is just a pen. But if i took it and stuck it in someone that would show intent on doing harm...WHICH IS MY POINT
Originally Posted by FxdwgGuy
the intent at question is whether one will use it for what it is intended or just to try to give bikers a bad name. You sound like a millenial..which would make sense.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,214 Likes on 599 Posts

Y’all are getting worked up over something most of you don’t even do, just other people are doing it and y’all are upset.
Thats weird.

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Default Bat

If i took that bat and cracked your thin skull with it, I guess I was playing baseball. QUOTE=upflying;18227834]A baseball bat shows intent....to hit a baseball.
Bat must used as a weapon to show intent.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Handlebar rope thing