General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar rope thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question

Im not trying to be smart or funny here...but, doesn't the name “GET BACK WHIP”[ imply that its function is to indeed hit things? Whether that be a car etc? I know those side views come off pretty easy without any whip. 😎 QUOTE=Mi3ninos;18225106]1. Ive seen thousands on bikes. Decades ago at CoC meetings, club events, benefits, these were common in club colors.
2. Ive NEVER seen or even heard of ANYONE using it as a weapon or on a cage. This myth will never die if the inexperienced "bikers" continue to believe it.
3. Once stickers became easier to make, more common, greater variety etc the GBW became a rare decoration.
5. I have one packed away somewhere in club colors. A gift from a diff era.

Don't care if you have one or not.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-01-2019, 09:00 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by End Loser
For those wondering, it shouldn't cause a front brake endo situation, because...panic snap.

In horse tack, a panic snap is a mechanism often used between a lead and a horse harness or halter. They are useful because, unlike swivels or carabiners and similar fittings, they can be disconnected under load, as the panic snap is specially built so that the latching mechanism is separate from the load-bearing structure.
Do the GBW have these panic snaps ? That guy on the red bike looks to just have a swivel attached to the front brake lever and one yank you are going over the front end. These things look stupidly dangerous to me.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by klap
I slap Honda riders in the head with my get back whip as I pass them by while simultaneously eating glazed donuts with my other hand....(I couldn't do this until I replaced my steering neck bearings)
That was you who whacked me in the head the other day....

The following users liked this post:
Don Michigan (05-06-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by End Loser
For those wondering, it shouldn't cause a front brake endo situation, because...panic snap.

In horse tack, a panic snap is a mechanism often used between a lead and a horse harness or halter. They are useful because, unlike swivels or carabiners and similar fittings, they can be disconnected under load, as the panic snap is specially built so that the latching mechanism is separate from the load-bearing structure.
I don't think those things ever get caught anywhere but if one did while you were rolling down the road, no way you would have time to release it before a catastrophe happened. I guess you could grab at the panic snap on your way over the bars, but you probably would have other things occupying your attention at that time.

The following users liked this post:
FxdwgGuy (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Default Gbw

I would try a swap meet or a rally. Also leather shops. Not sure if these were covered already. Just a thought: I wouldnt put one on my bike bc it brings attention.
Originally Posted by BluesStringer
I don't know about other parts of the country, but I see them in almost every independent store catering to bikers, whether it's a mostly leather store or if they sell parts and have a couple of service bays. The indy store I most often visit, the guy that owns it makes 'em. Don't think I've ever seen a leather one. All that I've seen are made of paracord. I'll bet that Kuryakyn or other big-time scooter-centric catalog sellers offer 'em. Probably some of the smallish-time ones do too. I'd bet that they're sold by vendors at large events too. They're around.

Blues

Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Default Alternative

a monkey fist is a good one. Learn the knot and use 550 cord.
Originally Posted by hardheaded
Do the GBW have these panic snaps ? That guy on the red bike looks to just have a swivel attached to the front brake lever and one yank you are going over the front end. These things look stupidly dangerous to me.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

[QUOTE=FxdwgGuy;18226224]Im not trying to be smart or funny here...but, doesn't the name “GET BACK WHIP”[ [b]imply that its function is to indeed hit things? Whether that be a car etc? I know those side views come off pretty easy without any whip. 😎

Yes it does. Same as assault rifle implies the owner will use it to assault someone. Not all owners of switch blade knives are street
thugs either. I'm just sayin Ive never known of one being used as a weapon.

Last edited by Mi3ninos; 05-01-2019 at 11:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mi3ninos:
BluesStringer (05-02-2019), Greezey Rider (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 PM
FxdwgGuy
Intermediate
Default Intention

Having a whip shows intent. Thats my point. When I have my pistol on me, the need to use it may not be there but the intent is. If you dont plan on using it dont have it. What? It looks cool? Hahaha! [QUOTE=Mi3ninos;18226462]
Originally Posted by FxdwgGuy
Im not trying to be smart or funny here...but, doesn't the name “GET BACK WHIP”[ [b]imply that its function is to indeed hit things? Whether that be a car etc? I know those side views come off pretty easy without any whip. 😎

Yes it does. Same as assault rifle implies the owner will use it to assault someone. Not all owners of switch blade knives are street
thugs either. I'm just sayin Ive never known of one being used as a weapon.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:07 AM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

I have one, I don't ride with it. But it was a christmas gift from my dad. I'd throw it on when parked, say at a meet or at a show just for decoration, or takin pics with, but riding with it I figured out very quickly is moronic.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Same as you got guys claim to have been dumb enough to throw ball bearings at cars behind them.

Quick Reply: Handlebar rope thing