General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,298 Likes on 6,115 Posts
Default Road King Police seat

I have always heard how comfortable the Police style seats are from the Road King and Electra Glide police bikes. I have been watching Craigslist for a good deal to pop up on one and if it ever does I will probably scoop it up. But having never rode a bike with a cop seat on it I have no experience. Are they as comfortable as some folks say?
Another question I have is how much of a job is it to switch back and forth between seats? Let's say I have the solo Police seat on my RK but the wife wants to go for a ride. Could I swap it out in 10-15 minutes and go back to the standard two up seat or is it more involved? Its not like she rides with me often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but I would want to be able to swap it to a two up quickly if she decided to take a ride on a whim.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

You should go to the Motorman`s website and ask him. He has alot of experience with that type of seat.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,958 Likes on 11,988 Posts

I rode on a cop seat for 14 yrs. They are the best seat there is, especially with the air bladder.

The following users liked this post:
Joe from So Cal (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I have always heard how comfortable the Police style seats are from the Road King and Electra Glide police bikes. I have been watching Craigslist for a good deal to pop up on one and if it ever does I will probably scoop it up. But having never rode a bike with a cop seat on it I have no experience. Are they as comfortable as some folks say?
Another question I have is how much of a job is it to switch back and forth between seats? Let's say I have the solo Police seat on my RK but the wife wants to go for a ride.
Could I swap it out in 10-15 minutes and go back to the standard two up seat or is it more involved? Its not like she rides with me often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but I would want to be able to swap it to a two up quickly if she decided to take a ride on a whim.
Yes they are, I have been riding one on my RK for 12 years years (air bladder type). They are great; however, if you have a short inseam you will be on your tip toes. In addition, quick changing the seat out is not an option, you have to pull the battery two get to the hold down nuts on either the bladder or spring type suspension. You could get the matching pillion that Mustang sells for the wife.

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 04-24-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Yes they are, I have been riding one on my RK for 12 years years (air bladder type). They are great; however, if you have a short inseam you will be on your tip toes. In addition, quick changing the seat out is not an option, you have to pull the battery two get to the hold down nuts on either the bladder or spring type suspension. You could get the matching pillion that Mustang sells for the wife.
Gonna disagree with this comment. On my brothers '13 FLHR all you had to do was disconnect the spring under the seat and remove the pin at the front of the seat. He could actually leave the spring in place and put his seat over the spring and had no problems....

Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Gonna disagree with this comment. On my brothers '13 FLHR all you had to do was disconnect the spring under the seat and remove the pin at the front of the seat. He could actually leave the spring in place and put his seat over the spring and had no problems....
Good point, thanx for that intell. I just went and tired that on my 04 FLHRP. It appears the air bladder will have clearance under the stock seat, but the front brackets for the cop seat and the cop seat tray must be removed, at least on my bike. Still that is a lot easier than pulling the battery,

Old 04-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Good point, thanx for that intell. I just went and tired that on my 04 FLHRP. It appears the air bladder will have clearance under the stock seat, but the front brackets for the cop seat and the cop seat tray must be removed, at least on my bike. Still that is a lot easier than pulling the battery,
I believe you are correct about having to remove the bracket in the front. Still easier than messing with the battery!!

Old 04-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did this on mine. I found a small coil over shock and made some brackets, one stays on the bike and the other on the seat. As said, the front bracket takes the longest to install and remove. I think I can change from 2 up to solo in approx 10 mins or less.
And the solo seat is extremely comfortable.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,298 Likes on 6,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselss
Just did this on mine. I found a small coil over shock and made some brackets, one stays on the bike and the other on the seat. As said, the front bracket takes the longest to install and remove. I think I can change from 2 up to solo in approx 10 mins or less.
And the solo seat is extremely comfortable.
Got any pics?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup...

Quick Reply: Road King Police seat