General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

table lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019 | 09:05 AM
wizardfitznq
|
Cruiser
Default table lift

With a limited on it how stable is it at max height?
I'm nervous when mine is on the motorcycle floor lift. Are the actually stable enough to work on and therefore shake the bike around?

Old 04-13-2019 | 11:15 AM
aaa1988
Road Master

I think it depends on what lift or jack you use. I have a Handy lift and a Snap On electric lift and they are very stable at full height. I also have used the pitbull and J&S jack and they are very stable as well. Stay away from cheap harbor freight jack or lift table.

The following 2 users liked this post by aaa1988:
Greezey Rider (04-13-2019), joes bar and grill (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019 | 11:47 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain

Make sure that the front wheel is held by a secure chock (which may or may not be included with every brand of table lift) to begin with, and then if you feel like adding a couple of straps, they are plenty secure to hold any bike at full height, for any kind of work you need to do.

All the best,

Shane

Old 04-13-2019 | 02:23 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

I have the harbor Freight table lift and it works well, feels kinda wobbly at low or mid lift but once up in a height that you would use to work on a bike it feels very sturdy. The wheel chock that comes with it is laughable at best so i use tie down straps to secure the bike. I have had multiple dynas and several road kings and street glides on there, doubt an ultra would pose any issue. Those bikes had full exhaust changes and other work so yes plenty of jerking on exhaust pipes and loosening tight bolts and other things that would move the bike around but it has never felt anything other than stable. The lift also has a security bar to slide in incase there were a jack failure. Its not as nice as the more expensive lifts but its also a lot more affordable

Old 04-13-2019 | 04:34 PM
pfnork66
Cruiser

Lots of folks on here talk stuff about HF products and that could be because they spent the big bucks on nicer units. A month ago I bought the table lift and have been using it constantly with no problems. It was $285.00 on sale. Yes, the wheel lock is useless so I bought a better one and also use tie downs. Am very happy with my purchase!

Old 04-13-2019 | 05:22 PM
wizardfitz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shodown220
I have the harbor Freight table lift and it works well, feels kinda wobbly at low or mid lift but once up in a height that you would use to work on a bike it feels very sturdy. The wheel chock that comes with it is laughable at best so i use tie down straps to secure the bike. I have had multiple dynas and several road kings and street glides on there, doubt an ultra would pose any issue. Those bikes had full exhaust changes and other work so yes plenty of jerking on exhaust pipes and loosening tight bolts and other things that would move the bike around but it has never felt anything other than stable. The lift also has a security bar to slide in incase there were a jack failure. Its not as nice as the more expensive lifts but its also a lot more affordable
i was looking at the harbor freight one. Is it wide enough to ride on and off. Or does it have side extensions available such as the 1000 units

Old 04-13-2019 | 06:51 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wizardfitz
i was looking at the harbor freight one. Is it wide enough to ride on and off. Or does it have side extensions available such as the 1000 units
It's pretty narrow, and side extensions no longer available, so I made some walk boards out of 2x12's and conduit. Slide them on, ride the bike up on the lift, strap the bike down and remove the boards to access the jack pedal. When done, I lower the lift, install the boards, remove the straps and walk the bike back off.

Last edited by Lakerat; 04-13-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2019 | 09:01 PM
Chambeaux
Road Captain

I have this one but without the diamond plate.
https://www.nhproequip.com/titan-dia...otorcycle-lift

It has served me well and Clark at NHProEquip is a good person to work with. Highly recommend.

Old 04-14-2019 | 07:27 AM
wizardfitznq
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lakerat
It's pretty narrow, and side extensions no longer available, so I made some walk boards out of 2x12's and conduit. Slide them on, ride the bike up on the lift, strap the bike down and remove the boards to access the jack pedal. When done, I lower the lift, install the boards, remove the straps and walk the bike back off.
Great idea, thanks.

Old 04-14-2019 | 08:49 AM
Shane T
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Do you have any pics of your extensions?

Quick Reply: table lift