General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rethinking helmet locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts
Default Rethinking helmet locks

I got a new Shoei helmet, it was 3x more than my previous one, which was a pretty basic lid. The Shoei has a micro ratchet instead of a double-D style strap, so my previous helmet lock wouldn't fit, so I go online and start looking. For the next hour...I find a lock that looks good, Google it for reviews...fail. Every single lock and cable combo I looked at had posts of either how easy it was to pic the lock, flat out break it, cut the cable, etc. Literally every single one.

I ended up getting a half inch thick steel loop cable (coated) and a regular padlock. It looks beefy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can be easily defeated by someone who knows what they're doing. I haven't used a helmet lock much as it is, except if I run into a store for a few minutes. I don't know if I'll even risk it now.

I've read enough threads here about bikes being stolen, and that if someone really wants you're bike, they'll find a way to take. I guess the same is true of helmets. What do you guys do regarding helmet locks? I might just carry my lid with me.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,704 Likes on 9,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I got a new Shoei helmet, it was 3x more than my previous one, which was a pretty basic lid. The Shoei has a micro ratchet instead of a double-D style strap, so my previous helmet lock wouldn't fit, so I go online and start looking. For the next hour...I find a lock that looks good, Google it for reviews...fail. Every single lock and cable combo I looked at had posts of either how easy it was to pic the lock, flat out break it, cut the cable, etc. Literally every single one.

I ended up getting a half inch thick steel loop cable (coated) and a regular padlock. It looks beefy, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can be easily defeated by someone who knows what they're doing. I haven't used a helmet lock much as it is, except if I run into a store for a few minutes. I don't know if I'll even risk it now.

I've read enough threads here about bikes being stolen, and that if someone really wants you're bike, they'll find a way to take. I guess the same is true of helmets. What do you guys do regarding helmet locks? I might just carry my lid with me.
Pair of handcuffs. One end threaded through the webbing on the helmet, the other to the handlebars or frame. If they've got a handcuff key, your screwed. Nothing will stop a determined thief but, you can slow them down.

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

I think the handcuffs are a great warning of what might happen if you steal the helmet!

Bama Lee (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:42 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,176 Likes on 12,045 Posts

Knock on wood, I never had a helmet stolen in 45 years. That includes pricey Shoei helmets with com headsets.
I think the value of used helmets isn't much. No one buys used helmets because no one (or few) want to wear someone else's stink and sweat.
Once your wear them, they have the same value to a thief as a pair of skidmark infused boxer briefs.
As always, locks are only a deterrent.
I do have a cable style gun lock I can thread through my D rings if needed.
I have also used handcuffs but most people carry a key for them.

Last edited by upflying; 04-09-2019 at 05:44 PM.
cruisn (04-22-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

I put stickers, a lot of them on a new helmet. I don't worry so much what it looks like, I want it there and functional.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,537 Likes on 678 Posts

local tweakers don't care about stink/sweat/lice as long as a swiped lid will get them a $10 rock........

like the handcuff idea because I can pull open most cable gunlocks with 1 grunt

Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I think a lot of helmets that get stolen are just thrown in a dumpster or ditch. Just stealing for the sake of pissing someone off

Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

I ignore the possibility and just take my helmet with me. If I知 somewhere safe for a short time I値l leave it on the seat. Otherwise I take it inside wherever I知 at. Or if I have the tourpak installed I値l put it in there. I致e got $1k in the helmet with its comm system and I知 not leaving that on the bike somewhere it may be stole. Locked or otherwise. It痴 not inconvenient at all to take it into Wal-Mart with me and put it in the basket, or put it on the edge of the table or bar if I知 at a restaurant.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,802 Likes on 6,702 Posts

A lot of people put their helmet lock through the D rings. Thrives simply cut the strap.

If you have a full face helmet, put a cable or whatever through the chin bar.

I wear a half helmet. I sit it on my sissy bar and fasten it to the upright like I would be putting it on my head. The object is to slow a would be thief, as they prefer a fast easy target. I haven't had a problem yet.

When I stay at a hotel, I bring my helmet in with me.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df

Steel cables are easily snipped with a relatively inexpensive set of cable cutters. You Tube has tons of videos showing how easily many locks can be defeated.
Bicycle owners find that out the hard way.
Handcuff keys are cheap, easy to find, and handcuffs are easy to shim open without a key.

If you are really worried just carry yout helmet with you, or lock it and hope the scumbags pick an easier target.

I lock my helmet in the tour pack, but that doesn't really help anyone that doesn't have that kind of bike.

Quick Reply: Rethinking helmet locks