General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Rain Gear: OverPass II or Packable set?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default H-D Rain Gear: OverPass II or Packable set?

Or how about the "Highland" rain suit by H-D? Anyone got this one?

I'm down to these choices... I know I want the H-D gear but have a couple questions ref these two that will help me decide. I did the Search and got tons of info but after awhile your head starts to spin reading so many posts.

1) Ref these two suits... Do both have a full zipper up the side of the legs? The catalog doesnt say if they do but seems the posters said at least one of these does.

2) Breathable? This is very important - any input on breathability would be appreciated on these suits - soaked with sweat is NO GOOD!

3) How small do they compact? The OverPass II is the one i'm most concerned about - how small does it fold up? (I don't want a suit that takes up an entire saddle bag). I'm guessing the Packable suit is faily small/compact?

Thanks so much! Sturgis is getting close so want some quality gear that will last and not melt, etc

Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: H-D Rain Gear: OverPass II or Packable set?

I have the packable, very small, about the size of a 16 in softball except squished. Not very breathable, but it is very lightweight. Got mine on sale at dealership for about 75.00 bucks, just for an emergency.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: H-D Rain Gear: OverPass II or Packable set?

I bought the Overpass about a month ago and used in quite a bit during my recent ride with friends across Colorado. I found it especially useful during early mornings when the wind chill was low as a top layer. I did find when the sun came out that it did get warm...but I'm not sure that most other rain gear won't do that. They're built to keep you from getting your external self wet...their internal heat management is probably secondary to their true purpose. The Overpass has a nice mesh interior but I still couldn't wear it when the the sun came out after a rain and the temps rose. However, it did its intended job very well.[sm=smiley20.gif]

I think its an excellent rain suit but like all other rain gear has its limitations.I used my right saddlebag to carry the rain suit, extra gloves, fleece jacket and Underarmour pull-over during my trip. The Overpass is probably bulkier than other rain gear but for our Colorado weather probably couldn't have found a better set up.

Good luck and ride safe.