General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank goodness I had a rubber band

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thank goodness I had a rubber band

Don't forget the vise grips! You can clamp 'em to your shift shaft and get home. They work better than a Buck knife when a cable breaks! If you have ever had to ride around on an old sled, you get in the habit of carrying some basic tools. Been there, done that.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: smudge

Don't forget the vise grips! You can clamp 'em to your shift shaft and get home. They work better than a Buck knife when a cable breaks! If you have ever had to ride around on an old sled, you get in the habit of carrying some basic tools. Been there, done that.
They can also be an emergency clutch lever in a pinch, too. I don't carry a lot of stuff because it's easy to end up with a saddlebag full of tools, but I always carry fuses, utility wire, vise grips, duct tape (I found some wound on a flat "roll" instead of round to save space), lots of zip ties, tire plugs & CO2 cartridges, a siphon hose and some jumper cables made out of an old electrical cord.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

Preventative maintenance is more than just checking the beer supply!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 PM
hammer4
Cruiser

Duck tape and zipties. Don't leave home with out em'.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

ORIGINAL: smudge

They can also be an emergency clutch lever in a pinch, too. I don't carry a lot of stuff because it's easy to end up with a saddlebag full of tools, but I always carry fuses, utility wire, vise grips, duct tape (I found some wound on a flat "roll" instead of round to save space), lots of zip ties, tire plugs & CO2 cartridges, a siphon hose and some jumper cables made out of an old electrical cord.
Damn, I don't think all that will fit in my right pocket, but if I put on a pouch somewhere on the bagless deuce of the things you just listed which should I absolutely take with me. I would guess the visegrips for sure, zip ties, tire plugs, and fuses should all fit in a small pouch.