General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:46 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,951 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Geez, cut him some slack. He asked a simple question about something he's not familiar with. Looking back at your posts, you've done the same.
WTF?

Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

I have something very similar to this https://www.discountramps.com/dmcs-1000/p/DMCS-1000/

No need for a wheel chock. Mine is adjustable from 6" to 9" if I remember right and I've been using it since 2010. It even held my bike up as I was swinging a sledge hammer at the rear axle that I found later had welded itself to the race. Bike was never in any danger of falling off this lift.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:18 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did a cam swap on my Lowrider. all I used was a scissor jack to lift the back up enough to spin the tire. Didn't chock the front and had no problem. I only kept it jacked up when finding TDC and then lowered it back down.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I've lifted my Road Glide Ultra high enough on a scissor jack just enough to turn the rear tire, the front didn't flop around on me during any work involving the rear tire. If you decide to go to a scissor jack look for a wide deck variety. As far as the front wheel, a cinder block on either side will work with a shop rag between the block and wheel assy. Easy peasy

Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Malazan
LOL man I don’t want to get into a pissing match

I know I should be more confident working on a bike since I work on cars/trucks

I just get nervous when it comes to my bike LOL it’s my pride and joy, just don’t want to F it up
Looks like you have a plan to secure the front wheel as you lift the rear end. Go for it and take your time. Let us know how you like the cams. Do you have access to a dyno ?? You will for sure need to install a race tuner and dyno tune it after the work you're planning. Good luck man !!!!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Malazan
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

Double Post

Last edited by Malazan; 03-30-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Malazan
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynamac
I just did a cam swap on my Lowrider. all I used was a scissor jack to lift the back up enough to spin the tire. Didn't chock the front and had no problem. I only kept it jacked up when finding TDC and then lowered it back down.
Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I've lifted my Road Glide Ultra high enough on a scissor jack just enough to turn the rear tire, the front didn't flop around on me during any work involving the rear tire. If you decide to go to a scissor jack look for a wide deck variety. As far as the front wheel, a cinder block on either side will work with a shop rag between the block and wheel assy. Easy peasy

Thank you, this is what I was looking for

Old 03-30-2019, 10:25 PM
Malazan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Looks like you have a plan to secure the front wheel as you lift the rear end. Go for it and take your time. Let us know how you like the cams. Do you have access to a dyno ?? You will for sure need to install a race tuner and dyno tune it after the work you're planning. Good luck man !!!!
I have the FP3, it has my cam and exhaust maps, if It doesn’t work out I will be getting a PV Tuner. I plan on a Dyno tune eventually

I have a 2018 RK, I’m putting a CR460 in it, I have an Arlen Ness AC, I also picked up the S&S Cam Plate, and oil Pump
My exhaust is FM Jackpot Headers 2-1-2, with TAB Bamsticks and Zombie Baffles

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (03-31-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Bass Player
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,946 Likes on 1,068 Posts

This is simple, safe and cheap to do. Go to Harbor Freight and get the wheel chock that you can ride into and the arm swings up behind the front wheel locking the bike in place. (Mine is gray) Attach (bolt) the chock to a piece of 4x8 - 3/4" plywood in the center of the sheet at the end of the 4' wide area. Use fender washers on the bottom side of the plywood under the chock.

Bolt 2 eye bolts 6" in on each side across from where your handle bars (or crash bar) are located once the bike is in the chock. These are used to tie the bike down once in the chock. Ride the bike in, get off and tie it down. Your bike sets on a full sheet of plywood, is tied down and won't tip over. You can do what you want this way and you can store it against a wall out of the way. I have a table and a lift. I use the plywood deal the most.

Yes there is a downfall. You have to get on the floor to change the oil or work low on the bike. But it is secure to do most anything. Good luck!

Last edited by Bass Player; 03-30-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 AM
toddskill
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a thought if you have the ground clearance. Run the lift arms in all the way, park the bike where the red line is and extend them out under the bike. You will be using the same basic lift points as a motorcycle jack. We did this on my bosses road king on a slow day to get his back wheel off. It was very stable.

Quick Reply: Lifting Bike