General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:41 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,268 Posts

When my wife said she didn’t want to ride on a bike anymore I danced a jig. Took off the buddy pegs off and had the bitch pad listed on eBay that day.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yup, keep both & have her take the MSF course and SHE take the Dyna!
She took the course a couple of years ago and learned just enough to pass the test and be dangerous. Needless to say she decided that riding was not for her and we sold her Triumph Speedmaster a couple of months later.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Having 2 bikes is not a problem.
Not having any bikes would be a huge problem!

I agree that it seems like you've already made up your mind to keep the Sporty.

IF and when your wife decides that she wants to ride more you can then cross that bridge.

My wife has had her own bike(s) since '96 but does not ride a lot and sometimes she wants to ride with me on my CVO Ultra but with the issue that I was having with my LH knee I decided last year that it was time for a trike, especially for trips or when she wants to ride with me.
I will sell the Ultra soon IF I can get a fair price but if not, I'll ride in occasionally and we can grow old(er) together.
I am all for having 2 bikes. I thought that the Low Rider would be the best 2nd bike to have in the garage. If nothing else, I learned that bigger and heavier is not necessarily better. Going bigger next time will probably be a bagger.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM
MacTarnahan
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

You already know the answer, Keep the one that brings you the most joy.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

Lol if my wife did not ride with me....I would find a new wife!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 AM
b bop n bob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,931 Likes on 1,084 Posts

my wife barely lets me get in the door after work when she starts grabbing her leathers and prodding me along. I usually don't have to look for the keys, she has them in her hand.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by b bop n bob
my wife barely lets me get in the door after work when she starts grabbing her leathers and prodding me along. I usually don't have to look for the keys, she has them in her hand.
I could live with that!

I am going to hold off for a while since there is no huge rush to sell. Texas winters are pretty mild for the most part, but now with the weather really getting nice my wife may want to start riding more. In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and do the suspension on the Low Rider and see if doing a couple of mods will change the equation. If is still isn't what I want by the end of summer I'll go ahead and sell or trade.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I picked up a Lowrider back in November for a really cheap price, I told my wife it was either for one of our two boys to ride or I would sell it and make some money. Neither boy wanted it (they have other bikes) I sold the Lowrider made enough money to pay off my truck loan, wife is happy, I like the Sporty just fine. I really didn't see that big of a difference in comfort on the LR, it also got much worse gas milage, even with the larger tank the Sportster has greater range.

If you can sell the Dyna and make enough money to pay for the 1275 kit you will be much happier in the long run than having 2 bikes that are so similar.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VAFish
I picked up a Lowrider back in November for a really cheap price, I told my wife it was either for one of our two boys to ride or I would sell it and make some money. Neither boy wanted it (they have other bikes) I sold the Lowrider made enough money to pay off my truck loan, wife is happy, I like the Sporty just fine. I really didn't see that big of a difference in comfort on the LR, it also got much worse gas milage, even with the larger tank the Sportster has greater range.

If you can sell the Dyna and make enough money to pay for the 1275 kit you will be much happier in the long run than having 2 bikes that are so similar.
Good points. I thought about that too. I already upgraded the suspension on the Sportster and haven't found the Low Rider to be any more comfortable than my Sportster. What I like most about the Sportster is how light and nimble it is to ride. Low Riders aren't heavy by any means, they just have a different center of gravity. I'll give it a little more time before I pull the trigger one way or the other.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 AM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser

Thanks for all the input. I rode both bikes back to back yesterday for a couple of hours to confirm what I think I already knew. The Low Rider is going up for sale this weekend.