General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
The fob on my '09 I had from new to 2016 did the same thing in the last year I had it. No matter where I had the fob on my person or where I held it in my hand literally on/next to the bike all over it, the bike played hell 'reading' it before I could start it up. It got to be such a PITA that I did the TSSM to TSM trick (it's a post here on the forums how to do it, just do a search for it) and did away with needing a fob altogether. Best thing I'd ever done with that bike.
Problem with that is some bikes, like my Low Rider for ex. Don’t have a lockable ignition switch. So that would basically let anyone hop on and go, right? Maybe in parts of the country where you never lock your front doors. Not so good here in NY at least.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by 71on72
A voltmeter is a must for every work shop
Car batteries, outlets, etc.
I also pack spare FOBs batteries and light bulbs in my tool bag.
Exactly!
I got a free beer one year on the road to Devil's Tower when I gave one of my spare to a nice guy from Montana. Karma!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Assuming his other fob works (we get 2) you can rule out the bike side I expect?
Yes, you are correct, if the second fob works then your security system is working and the problem would be in the non functioning fob. I’ve seen this happen before where the fob’s battery ‘contact tangs’ were bent slightly and not making contact with the fob’s circuit board after battery replacement, check for this too.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:51 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
I replace the Fob's battery once a year.
What he said, every spring new batteries in fob's, new battery in remote alert.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
I replace the Fob's battery once a year.
my fob has the same battery from December 05. I keep waiting for it to fail. I know the bypass code.

Last edited by Hoginedgewood; 03-24-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Well just wow. I picked up a battery. I thought before I put in the new battery I am going to open both of them and compare to see if as someone mentioned maybe the contacts in the non-working fob are bent.

popped them open and the one that the dealer said they just put a new battery in.........

Battery was upside down. Good grief. I can't believe I didn't catch that right away, but then I didn't think I would need to check that if the dealer just replaced the battery a month ago. oh well.

Works now. and now I have a nice new spare battery

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Well just wow. I picked up a battery. I thought before I put in the new battery I am going to open both of them and compare to see if as someone mentioned maybe the contacts in the non-working fob are bent.

popped them open and the one that the dealer said they just put a new battery in.........

Battery was upside down. Good grief. I can't believe I didn't catch that right away, but then I didn't think I would need to check that if the dealer just replaced the battery a month ago. oh well.

There you go. I'd mention that to the service manager next time you're there.

And.. You're welcome.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,368 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
my fob has the same battery from December 05. I keep waiting for it to fail. I know the bypass code.
from 05, you have a different kind of security than what is being discussed. hd did not come out with the proximity fob system until 2007. so your security system works differently.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed

FOB battery being installed upside down seems to be rather common issue, weather dealer installed or owner installed.

In reading about FOB issues here over the years, this is my opinion on the most common issues in order.
1. Bad Battery
2. Battery installed upside down (even after owner checking at least once)
3. Bent contacts, not allowing FOB to have power
4. Wrong battery installed.
5. Some type of electrical interference

Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Your fob is actually a receiver and a transmitter. The bike has a low frequency (125 kHz) interrogator transmitter that is in a rectangular plastic box placed next to the battery, it activates your fob and makes it send it’s coded signal back to the bike. A lot of times this low frequency transmitter can become dislodged or inoperative when being banged about while changing the bike’s battery. Without the bike’s interrogation signal the fob will never activate and return the needed coded. Check for this first if changing the fob’s battery doesn’t work, or if you’ve recently done work under your seat/battery area.
Does HD have a name for this part? Pics/diagram? TIA.

Quick Reply: Fob question