General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The look" and Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The look" and Full Face Helmets

(O.K., yet another post by me this afternoon. It must be the effects of the caffeine from that coffee thread by "No1likhim" that I was on a while ago.)

I road-tested my 'new' full-face helmet this past Sunday. After donning the black helmet while also dressed out in black leathers, my wife commented to me that I looked like a BIG BLACK ANT. (What does SHE know, anyway!)[:'(]

Anyhow, after hitting the road I quickly began to notice that I wasn't getting "the wave" from approaching Harley riders near as often as I do when wearing my half-helmet. Could it have been that when they first saw the helmet with it's mirror-blue visor they thought it was a crotch rocket, and then without any further glance failed to see that it was indeed a gen - u - ine Harley-Davidson motorcycle that I was straddling, and hence - no wave? It make me feel...well.....lonely. [] Where was the fellowship...the brotherhood of the road...the comradeirie...the LOVE? (I did have one guy on what I thought was a VESPA throw up his hand, so I just rendered him the "low wave" and motored on.)

The helmet did well. It was my "first time" to wear a full-face helmet. It certainly was a different experience than what I was used to with the half helmet. But, it will definately extend my riding season. One annoying problem - the "thump" of the V-twin and the SEIIs seem amplified inside the helmet to some degree. I'll have to find a solution to that before too long. I wonder what the guy riding the VESPA did about it?[:-]

Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: "The look" and Full Face Helmets

I just ordered me a full face for the winter, it better get here soon, im riding on barrowed time in my neck of the woods..... I really dont care who waves to me, as long as im warm and dry, im even looking at heated gear. What would those hard core guys think of that !!! Id rather be comfortable than look good.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:09 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

Dont worry about the wave. 88% of all injuries are to the lower jaw area. You will be safe now.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unibomber

Not to change the subject, but I had a thought. If the real unibomber had a beautiful black springer like
your's, he may not of felt the need to blow things up.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
05RdKing
Road Master

I'll stick with the full face helmet & stay warm - if someone else wears a 1/2, all I can say is to each their own, whatever floats yer boat

Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

Next thing you know, you'll be wearing EAR PLUGS. I kind of enjoy hearing myself. As far as full face, look on the internet at some of the injuries. The only "look" I really give a damn about is the "Wolf" look. AFAIC most HD riders are "followers"....gotta have the "look".....like hell I say....fire away!

Howl,

Wolf

Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,271 Likes on 476 Posts

I thought about copping a full-face, but decided not to. I have a shorty to wear to work (LA has a helmet law). When it's cold I wear a light military liner, a camo neoprene backed neck gaiter pulled up to my nose and over my ears, and goggles. Works even down into the low 20s, which is rare around here, anyway.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the real Unibomber was actually spelled Unabomber, and had he had a Springer chances are he would of rode his frustrations away.......If only we could of got to him in time.......

Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 PM
menderle
Advanced

The helmet did well. It was my "first time" to wear a full-face helmet. It certainly was a different experience than what I was used to with the half helmet. But, it will definately extend my riding season. One annoying problem - the "thump" of the V-twin and the SEIIs seem amplified inside the helmet to some degree. I'll have to find a solution to that before too long. I wonder what the guy riding the VESPA did about it?

I had the same deal, ended up putting in ear plugs when wearing the full helmet. That thump gave me an instant headache.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that springer is beautiful. That's a great pic. I wear a full face and don't care what anyone else thinks. I hate being cold.

Quick Reply: "The look" and Full Face Helmets