General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The look" and Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Beefcake
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "The look" and Full Face Helmets

I'm sure you guys have heard about this already, but our Governator took a spill on his bike over the weekend.....he was riding up a busy stretch of canyon road when some dumb broad pulled out in front of him. At any rate, he was only going 25 mph because his kid was riding in the side car, but he still managed to split his lip. Can't imagine what would have happened to his face had he been going faster.....

I think I'll be moving to a full-face helmet pretty soon. I don't want a mangled grill.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Got the new Harley "Stealth" Full face helmet that flips open....perfect.....I have had halfs and full faced......since it flips up, I can do that when I come to a stop in the warm weather. Always felt a little more at ease with a little more to protect this ugly mug of mine, God only made one like it and I'd just like to keep it this way!

Old 01-10-2006, 01:41 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question which I really don't understand. Why is the half-helmet considered so much better and cooler than a 3/4 face? 20 years ago I might have understood it, but with the ventilation systems we have today...what's the diff? I have a 3/4 Shoei and a full face flip-up Nolan. Both are pretty good, IMHO. I've never worn a half helmet, don't know the statistics about whether a 3/4 is safer than a 1/2 or anything else. Just requesting information. I'd been away bikes for quite a while and the state I used to live in was a mandatory helmet state. Guess, Im just most "used" to wearing a 3/4. I understand the face and lower jaw issues involved with a 3/4 vs. full face, but what about a 1/2 vs 3/4? Thanks for any insight. Art

Old 01-10-2006, 01:25 PM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

Well I will probably get It from a few but still here goes. I personnaly would NEVER wear a full face on a Harley, It just seems wrong.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:26 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pierre Boivin

Well I will probably get It from a few but still here goes. I personnaly would NEVER wear a full face on a Harley, It just seems wrong.
just seems wrong? heck, thats _why_ i do most things! just ask my band what they think of me using a tweed covered amp to play industrial music!

i try to not wear motorcycle t-shirts while on the bike, and never wear any music related t-shirts while playing.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

Wear what you like.

I prefer a half-helmet - but that's just me. In the cold weather, you won't see me riding without a leather face garter covering me from my goggles down. Keeps me plenty warm.

It's all about personal preference - and I'd never diss someone because of what helmet they wear, or what they ride for that matter. We're all bikers at the end of the day, sharing the same roads. I wave at everyone - if they wave, great...if not - no skin off my back.

JB

Old 01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Pierre my friend...it's not wearing the full face "on" the Harley that matters, it's only the sudden stop when you fall off that you need it, and it would seem "right" then.
Of course it's your head and choice.

DC

Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
06BlackFLHXI
Tourer

I realise that wearing a full face is certainly better for you If you are going to take a dive, however I have been riding bikes a long time and know that I have NEVER seen anybody wearing a full face while riding a Harley and almost never on a Metric cruiser. In Canada in spring and fall people tend to wear scarfes etc.. What I find funny Is that when you read this thread It seem that everybody wears a full face which Is just not true.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I realise that wearing a full face is certainly better for you If you are going to take a dive, however I have been riding bikes a long time and know that I have NEVER seen anybody wearing a full face while riding a Harley and almost never on a Metric cruiser. In Canada in spring and fall people tend to wear scarfes etc.. What I find funny Is that when you read this thread It seem that everybody wears a full face which Is just not true.
No, when you read this thread it just seems like everyone "writing" here says they wear a full face, which is true. We on the forum represent a very small sampling of all Harley riders, and an even smaller sampling of motorcycle riders in general. However, if you look at some of the other threads here, there are plenty of folks who run the gamut from bare to full.

Bill

Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
richp5
Cruiser

I commute 100 miles r/t on the 91 fwy in Orange/L.A. Counties and have racked up about 15k miles a year for the past 6 years. For me the full face for saftey purposes is the way to go. I have had a broken windshield from a lawn chair, trucks kicking up all sorts of garbage and the reason I have my new bike is due to a semi kicking a brick into the engine case which totaled out the my last bike. But being an idiot I do wear a half helmet on weekend rides even when traveling the freeway. As far as waves go I respect my fellow bike commuters and give way to the sport bike guys - seems most will wave for the courtesy aspect or for being a fellow commuter. For those that don't commute I say try it - I save at least five hours a week doing so and it's never boring.