General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The look" and Full Face Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:54 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "The look" and Full Face Helmets

Here some food for though. Saturday two of my friend was riding and hit a oil slick just after if got finishing raining. You guessed it the both went down. One had a half helmet and fall was less severe, however he broke his broke his face in two places and still in the hospital in crictical condition. My other buddy had a full face helmet on bike slammed in to the retaining wall and the bike pulled him additional 30 feet. I was following behind them in my car. It was terrifiing to see this. My buddy with the full face helmet pride and was broke but he walked away from. Today I just went to buy a full face helmet. Here the kick the paramedics told me at the hospital. If he would of have a full face helmet he would of walked away from it also like my other buddy.

Sorry for any spell error. It hard to talk about.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

Today it is very nice in SoCal so I wore my half helmet with a bandana around my face,
mainly cuz I hate it when I get hit with big bugs. I am getting use to the wind in my
ears, or maybe I am losing my hearing. I have ordered one of those caps that cover
your ears. I ride about 25 miles to work, mostly freeway.

I am giving the half helmet a chance, but I doubt I will never sell my full face.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
anniv03classic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new harley owner as well as a new bike rider. Went to a H-D chili cook-off up in Woodstock, IL. Great Harley dealer there. I went with an experienced rider who wore no helmet. I wore a full-face helmet. He made no big deal about it and said its cool. We met up with 4 of his riding buddies, all very experienced. None of them wore helmets either. They basically told me never let anyone tell you to do something on a bike that you don't feel comfortable with. So, kept the helmet on and had a great ride seeing all the colors on the trees. After reading some of the posts here, I think I will be a long-time helmet wearer.

Dan

Old 10-31-2005, 11:08 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

do what you feel is right.....I mostly ride by myself anyhow....[&:]

I have a half lid and a full face. The full face sucked without a windscreen. Now that I have a windscreen, I'll try it out again!

What is the "look"? A bunch of RUB's trying to look like bad guys?

joe

Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Saturday I rode a trial run with a full face helmet as a prelude to cold weather riding. I thought the wind noise was louder than with my half or 3/4 helmet and still felt the need of a throat warmer. Plus there was fogging of the wind screen. My experience only; others may vary.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

Gave my half helmet a try for a few days on the 25 mile freeway commute with a bandana. I got use to the wind noise in my ears. Had a few bugs hit me in the face, not too bad with the bandana. Went back to my full face, much more comfy on the freeway at 65-70 mph. I like my half helmet for running around town and for back country rides avoiding freeways. I might just have the bike painted with the same theme as my full face. Is that too "crotch rocket" for anyone??

[IMG]local://upfiles/5281/B552864E368E4C398D19276994623148.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

Nice helmet! Make sure and post some pics as soon as ya get the bike painted to match!

Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM
mdparrott
Stage I

I (we) ALWAYS wear an open face full. My daughter wears a full face (would be missing her jaw if she didn't due to a pileup 4 years ago).
Why is too legnthy. Safety is the reason. In my humble opinion, anyone NOT wearing a helmit is 1 step away from brain damage or death. Forget all the BS about freedom of choice, it's intellignce of choice. A head is NOT designed to be thrust against hard objects. The physics speak for themselves. Two people I know quite well have brain damage from dropping their bikes; 1 at 25 MPH from a deer taking him off. Wish I could get by brother to get his helmet back on (2003 Wide Gluide).

Also, we do, and always have, wave at 95% of other bikes, and usually first. The other 5% are usually don't wave, and they usually are sport bikes. Just the way it is.

Just my 2 cents.

Formerly Metric Mike

2005 ultra

Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

I always wear a full face helmet. Just never thought a bug looked good enough to eat! As far as waving goes, I wave to EVERYONE on two wheels. Heck, sometimes I even catch myself waving when I am in the cage!
Good! I'm not the only one that does that.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:21 AM
TEL8109
Cruiser

I use three helmets. Half helmet in the summer, 3/4 helmet in the late fall and a full helmet in the winter. I don't care who waves to me. I just love to ride in confort.

Quick Reply: "The look" and Full Face Helmets