General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The cost of being a MOCO groupie

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cost of being a MOCO groupie

Well, kind'a like that anyway. You see, I'm gathering together some gear that will allow me to ride during colder weather, like a full face helmet, gaunlet gloves, that kind'a stuff.

Stopped by the MOCO "outlet" looking for a neck gaiter - you know, that fleece thingy that you slide over your head and place around your neck in order to keep the wind out. HD gaiter (the obligatory color black of course) with small "bar & shield" patch sewn on - $24.95. [:@] I just had to laugh to myself! So, I rode on over to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought the same thing, except that it had "Columbia" on it, for $7.99.

Who's buying all this overpriced HD paraphanallia anyway? Not me! The only items I buy from HD now is when I absolutely cannot find the item anyplace else. I guess its the RUBs that keeps them churning out all manner of merchandise of low to medium quality sold at premium prices. There's talk on another site about the MOCO preparing to debut a line of children's clothing and bedroom accessories. What next, condoms?[&:]

Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Default RE: The cost of being a MOCO groupie

You mean mean you didn't get your free pack of condoms when you bought the bike?

Old 10-25-2005, 03:45 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I also noticed that the clothing at the HD place was a little spendy. No offense to the folks that want to buy that stuff, but I have shopped around and found what I need a lot cheaper. The Harley I couldn't pass up on but some of the other stuff I can. I guess that it's just like with some other things, once the name is put on it it automatically raises the price a little.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Maybe they are still coming in the mail?
ORIGINAL: ecvjohn

You mean mean you didn't get your free pack of condoms when you bought the bike?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

try to buy honda or yamaha anything you buy from a dealer is going to be high or go to some swamp meets they are high anything with a brand name on it pepsi or coke or what ever but i did'nt hear you get on there case but you ride a harley think about it. you can buy cheap all day long so what's your point i have bought some great stuff over night bags with the bar and shield and even says harley-davidson on it its called look around everything out there comes cheap if you look for it . you know everybody wants to have a harley then complain when when things or the bike may be to high look at the price of cars or trucks you live in the good old u.s.a its all high.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sing it brother !!! Im not buying anything that says HD on it unless absolutely neccesary.. I was recently shopping for a leather jacket, and refused to pay HD prices for a jacket that was made in south east asia. I ended up with a made in the USA real deal heavy jacket for about 1/2 of the HD price. If anything half the crap HD makes is less quality than aftermarket because they are depending on the name to sell it, just look at the syn3 oil, alot more people are moving away from it and back to other brands.

HD makes one real good thing -The Motorcycle-

Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

The Harley Brand name has got to be in the top 20 in the world (Just my guess)- Right up there with IBM, Ford, Kleenex etc......It has more value than anything they make - Are they being greedy? I don't know. Are the running the brand into the ground? Again I don't know - I do know that I was in my dealer when they put the first Harley reading glasses out for display and they started at 35 bucks! 10-11 dollars in Walmart and 35 bucks cause they say Harley???? - Sporty2003 I am not sure what you were trying to say but you mentioned buying cheap. There are a lot of real high quality items for motocycle's out there that are half the price of Harley gear - I pick and choose my spots and I have gotten some great value from Haley and others and yeah I have been burned a few times by Harley and other companies - Let the buyer beware is the best rule to follow.

My biggest fear with Harley Condoms would be that they are waaaaay overpriced and if they made a noise or required an adjustment the MOCO would say "That's not covered under warranty!"

Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet they would be -SCREAMING EAGLE STAGE 3 FOR HER PLEASURE- condoms.........That would sell more...

Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
oldrookie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Jezcruzen

There's talk on another site about the MOCO preparing to debut a line of children's clothing and bedroom accessories. What next, condoms?[&:]
I doubt it. I think those product lines would be mutually exclusive...

Old 10-25-2005, 06:12 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i'm with you man there is a lot of stuff out there that has harley on it that you can get cheaper than the dealer but like you have got some some very good deals at the dealer you got to look around complaining about the dealers is not going to make it cheaper but if we found the same stuff cheaper that is what is all about and you know as me the stuff is out there it is no secreat and never has been any major name is high.

Quick Reply: The cost of being a MOCO groupie